Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Relocating the beach
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:34 pm 

Hi! I am new to this forum stuff! My family is seriously thinking of moving to the Myrtle Beach area! Family is the most important thing to us so someplace that is safe and also sociable!! Please any helpful advice would be appreciated thank you

Post subject: Re: Relocating the beach
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:59 am 
Site Admin

There are so many areas that match your criteria...I don't know where to begin.

When you say "Myrtle Beach" do you mean within the city of Myrtle Beach? Or the outlying Horry County and Georgetown County, which would include Surfside Beach, Garden City Beach, Murrells Inlet or further north in North Myrtle Beach?

The two most important questions about moving here are (1) your price range and (2) your area choice. Once those are determined you WILL be able to find safe and sociable home areas. Google for Realtors who specialize in that area. You might even want to visit Myrtle Beach with the thought of renting until you decide where they want to purchase your home. The best Realtor for you will specialize in the area you choose. Make a list and keep it handy. Safe and sociable should be at the top. Include other amenities...pool, close to shopping, schools, stores, hospital, airport, etc.

Questions to ask your could-be Realtor:
How long have been selling real estate in this area?
How many homes have you listed/sold in the past year? Price ranges?
How about the safety of the neighborhoods we will be viewing? (Gated community? Crime statistics? Crime Watch meetings? Is there a Homeowners' Association? What are the rules of the Association?
Can we trust you to work with us from the beginning of our search until the closing?
Can you recommend other service providers that we will need (mortgage, home inspection, contracts, etc.)
Can you provide references who we can contact??

Here's my page containing information about moving:
http://www.funbeaches.com/demographics.html

Hope this helps get you started!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:41 am 

Sounds great!!! Thanks for replying!! Actually looking at Surfside and Carolina Forest. And want to rent for about a year just to make sure!! But any advice you can give or pointers please share!! We will be there bout the second week of Oct and hope to find a house! Our price range would be no more than 1800 a month. I have found a few nice homes there, here in St Louis you dont get as much home for your money as you do there! Wow theres a big difference!
How long have you lived in MB and do you love it? I have so many questions about the area !! We are very excited for this adventure! We just love the ocean and cant wait to actually live by one !!!
Anyway i could ramble on all day! Thank you so much for your input, if you have anymore please feel free to let me know!! Thanx!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:52 am 
Site Admin

We have lived here 16 years. The first 10 years, we lived in SouthWood, a development behind Wicked Stick Golf Course. We downsized in 2007 and purchased a smaller single-family home not far from The Market Common. We bought a golf cart, and do most of our eating and shopping around this area. We are located about 2 miles from Myrtle Beach State Park (10 to 15 min drive) where our yearly passes are good for beach entry. Currently, new homes are bring built on our street...they will average around $300,000 depending on amenities and floor plans:
http://www.trulia.com/property/31671949 ... h-SC-29577

We absolutely love living here. Not just our area, but for all the things the MB area has to offer. Entertainment, food, and the ocean is still as awesome to me as it was 16 years ago.

BTW I was in St. Louis earlier this month. 3 old girlfriends and I were on the American Queen Steamboat from St. Louis to Minneapolis. 2 of us had done the arch on a previous visit, but the other one went up and enjoyed the views. We spent the first night at the Ballpark Hilton, and had a great walk around the stadium, and breathtaking city views from the restaurant (rooftop terrace?)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:15 pm 

I love St Louis but I love the beach more!! What city is Southwood in? I think i will be looking at a house there to rent! Family neighborhood?? What is your opinion on Surfside and Carolina Forest?? Where you live now sounds really awesome! Maybe one day we'll get to that point!!! Thanks for all your input!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:16 pm 

O and yes Ballpark Hilton is awesome!! We are HUGE Cardinal fans!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

SouthWood is technically in Surfside, but it is not within the Surfside city limits... it is in Horry County. It's a very nice section of homes that were built from about 1988 to 1998. (Ours was one the last that was built there.) Many of the homes have a lake view and/or golf course view. Wicked Stick Golf Club is located there. They have an HOA and I think (could be wrong) that renters have to agree to comply with existing rules. It is a safe area of about 400 homes and two nice size pools, one at either end of the development. Very convenient to shopping and restaurants. Here are my photos of that house:
http://funbeaches.com/house.html

Personally, I would not choose Carolina Forest. There's much too much traffic in that area for me. However, It now has many of it's own shopping areas and restaurants, and of course the Tanger Outlet on 501. (Now I probably need to duck and run. This is my personal opinion and I'm sure many people would disagree.)

We loved seeing all the Cardinal fans in their red shirts...even the tiny tots and babies! So much team loyalty, it gave us all happy smiles!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:00 pm 

Thanx for the advice! Beautiful home! Im confident we will find our perfect spot! Thats why renting will be our best option for at least a year! And yes in St Louis there is major team loyalty!!! Its pretty cool!!
Well i really appreciate you taking your time for me. If you think of anything else please feel free to let me know!!! Thanx!!! Ill keep you posted on what we end up deciding!!!