Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:51 pm 

After totally blowing the diet thing this summer, I think I'm ready to start back. I thought the late July trip would make it easier to lose weight considering that I would have more time to accomplish it, but it just made it worse. I spent too much time out of town in June and I never do well eating on the road on overnight trips. To me it's just an excuse to say "I will wait until I get back from (enter name) and get started". Eventually time just ran out and I said the heck with it. Maybe next year :hysterical:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:11 am 

I never really knew what this thread was until just now. I actually try to gain weight. I am up about 12 pounds since last years beach trip. I don't eat junk food or anything, but I try to eat as good as possible while working out and taking protein supplements etc. Maybe I should be the "Growing MB Lover" lolz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:19 pm 

So how is everyone doing on the dieting side of life :roll:

I have two months before my sons wedding and I somehow have to learn how to diet without exercise. Apparently exercise is my motivator. However, my Dr, says it can be done :BandHead: Still dealing with chronic plantar fasciitis. The last effort of treatment I was in a boot for 6 weeks. When I came out of the boot my pain returned. After a 4 week battle with insurance I have finally been approved for shock wave therapy. I don't think the procedure or recovery is very bad the only down side is I have to be put to sleep. I have never been put to sleep and I am terrified :cry: All prayers are appreciated. I know that some may think sharing my foot battle is off topic, however let me assure you it has for sure affected my weight. Just sharing because hopefully my story will end up being an encouragement to someone after I finally live through this mess.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Prayers are going out to you, Deanna! You are such a sweetheart and I am so sorry for the pain you are having to go through.

But being put to sleep is nothing to worry about. Been there, done that...many times. My nephew is an Anesthesiologist. After completing a four year bachelor's degree, students then take four years of graduate education leading to a degree in medicine (M.D.) or osteopathy (D.O.). After receiving a medical degree, students must complete four more years in an anesthesiology residency. Some residents take one more year of study or fellowship, in a specific area of anesthesiology such as critical care medicine, pain medicine, research or education.

So I am sure you will be in good hands.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:42 am 

Deanna wrote:
I know that some may think sharing my foot battle is off topic, however let me assure you it has for sure affected my weight.

It is not off topic. I am currently suffering through the same thing, and it sure is making exercise difficult. The secret to my weight loss is that I've been walking 5K every day at lunch for 3 years (and then eat rabbit food for lunch when I get back). Having my foot hurt the past 3 weeks has made it extremely difficult to walk for exercise, much less just to get around. I'm happy for you that you are eligible for the therapy.

I've had one surgery and one other time I received anesthesia. Both times went very well and was very relaxing. I remember both times in recovery feeling like I had just woken up from the best night's sleep I've had. You'll do great!

Good luck, and congratulations on your son's wedding coming up!

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:21 am 

Oh no Deanna, so sorry to hear about all the problems you have had with your foot. Definitely not off topic. If you cannot walk well it is hard to keep your weight in check. Only think that has helped me stay in moderately good shape all these years is all the moving around I do. I do not power walk or jog but am constantly in motion. Despite all the junk food I eat I have been able to stay about the same for 25 years. Other thing is I watch no TV, maybe that could be the secret. Hope the shock wave treatment takes care of the problem and you will be dancing at your son's the wedding in two months. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Go Vols!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:31 am 

Deanna, sorry to hear about your foot problems. Hopefully the treatment you are undergoing will help and you will be able to get back to your normal activities. Congrats on the family wedding! How exciting!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:56 pm 

Scott, you better start babying that foot now. Ice & stretching 3X daily. Apparently the reason mine is so bad is because I waited so long to start babying it. Hoping it gets under control soon so you can get back to those 5K's.

Thanks everyone for the kind and reassuring words.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:27 pm 

Never posted here, but after seeing pictures of myself at MB last year, figured I had to do something about that. I'm not shy about it, was 247 at Myrtle. Lost down to 217 before winter and gained back about 5 over winter. Not much loss this year, I'm sitting at about 212.

More important than just plain weight is all the fitness numbers. Cholesterol and blood pressure pretty high. Dusted the old mountain bike off that sat in the garage for years and started riding at the end of summer last year. Bought a nice light bike this spring. Rode the mountain bike last year 3 months before the cold weather hit for 580 miles. This year with a lot of rain this summer I just passed 900 miles on the new bike. Last ride though, I must have wanted to see what the pavement tasted like as I went down pretty hard. Not much injury but I did smack my mouth and chin off the pavement. Haven't had the chance to get back out as that was last Wednesday.

Don't know where my cholesterol numbers are right now but riding has brought my blood pressure down from my long time typical 149/95 for years to the last check was 122/78.

So, there's a bit of my story. Didn't go to the beach this year but I thought since a lot of you seemed to like the story telling of my previous 2 trip reports, I'm preparing more of the story as a trip replacement report for you to read during the slow winter time with lots of pics that I hope you will enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:17 am 

I went to the beach at my heaviest weight this year. I thought with the later vacation time, that I would lose more weight than I normally do, but it didnt work out. Hopefully, I will get an early start here shortly and meet my goal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:42 am 

It's about time to buckle down and try and lose a few pounds. Almost time to bring out the shorts and the flip flops, so it's either drop a few pounds or spend money on new clothes. Get started now or go back to the yearly "I'm ten pounds away from my goal" at vacation time. :BandHead:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

Good luck to everyone! This topic usually gets popular as our tourist season nears. Something about the beach and dieting just fo together. :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:43 pm 

patrish wrote:
Good luck to everyone! This topic usually gets popular as our tourist season nears. Something about the beach and dieting just fo together. :cool:

Yes, there is something about the beach and a diet. I often wonder if it would be more motivation to stay at a "good" weight if you lived at a place that was at the beach? You only have about three months here at home that you might shed the shirt in public. Swimming pools here usually don't open until around the first of June and most people usually close them down around labor day. I guess I can blame my weight gain on my proximity to the beach :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:01 am 

I started hitting the weights around the new year. Nonchalantly at first but I started taking it more seriously lately. Kristi joined Planet Fitness that opened up here in October. She's down around 30 LBS and I started accompanying her a couple weeks ago due to the inability of me to run outside locally. First and foremost, it's been too damn cold. Also, people in this city are worthless and refuse to shovel their sidewalks. I don't need a sprained ankle/knee. I imagine myself falling and not being able to get up thus freezing to death as I lie there. Anyway, I've hit the treadmill a few time as well as the arc trainer. My sole intention is to lose the "beer" weight I've accumulated over the winter. My downfall is my abdominal region. I'm not overly muscular due to my body design. I'm 6'3" and 190lbs. I'm "wiry" I guess. I have the drive to build muscle but us tall people are harder to do. We have to move the weight a lot further than someone who's 5'9". Never see any tall body builders.... unless steroids are involved. I keep it fairly natural with protein powder and cycle in some creatine. There are a million supplements to "try" but I'll stick to natural substances. One thing I've learned is that youtube is extremely useful for exercise demonstrations. I use it from time to time for learning new ones to add to my routine. If anyone needs any advice for weight training, I'm here to help. I'm pretty knowledgable about it. Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:14 pm 

Congratulations on the success. I've got to get this diet thing ramped up, especially now since we are going to fit in an April trip. I know the 4 days that I will be in MB will not be good for the waistline.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next