Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:25 am 

Just to make sure - we are talking about The Hampton Inn that is on the beach - located at 18th Avenue South, in the "South Beach" area of Myrtle Beach - not some regular Hampton Inn out by the highway.

Wow. What a place! This is not your typical Hampton Inn. Though it does have familiar Hampton Inn qualities: friendly service - nice, free breakfast - comfortable beds - this is a resort property, much like some of the other resorts of MB.

It might seem odd to say this, but the overriding point of conversation about this place needs to start with the lobby. That's right, I said the lobby.

First, let me lay out the geography of the property, and then get back to the lobby. This is a "long" property, taking up a lot of beach front. There are two "towers", each with their own elevator banks. Oddly, the South tower has two elevators, while the North tower has 3, even though they seem identical in size. We were in the north tower, and we never waited unreasonably for an elevator. From the street, there is a parking garage first, with 4 levels of parking. Even though they indicated that they were booked for the weekend, we never had an issue with finding a space. The registration desk is in the middle of the floor that you pull into in the garage, with plenty of parking "For Registration Only" spaces.

The two towers are connected, but only on the pool level, lobby level, and the 2nd floor level. The 2nd floor level has the exercise room - which looks out to the ocean through, and above, the lobby windows. The meeting rooms and things like that are also on the 2nd level in the middle of the building.

The lowest level is the pool area. When you come out from the elevators, there are vending machines and towels available. Early in the day, the towels are large and comfy, later, the white smaller ones come out as the others are being washed and reissued. Leaving that area, you pass through doors into the indoor pools. These stretch all across the length of the property, from the north to south ends. These include an ample size hot tub, a regular swimming pool, a good size wading pool, and another hot tub. At each end of this floor, is covered open space - which I imagine are popular for gatherings during the hottest parts of the year. At the south open area, there is a shallow wading "lazy river" for little kids I guess. Between these areas and the beach, are the outside pools. From the north end - there is a lazy river, a kiddy wading pool with fun fountains and such, a regular pool, and then a small lazy river at the end. At the very end of this end, is a refreshment stand area, that looks like it could serve lunch, and alcohol drinks, and regular drinks, including frozen things maybe. It looked like it was just trying to be open for us during this spring break week or two, but might open up more fully later in the year. There is also a 3 unit bathroom placed here, outdoors. There is a grass area between the pools and the beach, with hammocks to enjoy. There seemed to be plenty of lounge chairs for everyone, and because of the long space, it never seemed crowded at all. Most important, to me anyways, was that there were palm trees in this area - making the property have that "tropical" feeling. I can't stand some of the other properties that have a simple rectangle pool, no landscaping, and a barren feeling. I don't want to feel like I'm hanging out in a parking lot. The palm trees, grass, and designed pools make me feel like I am truly on a vacation! That said, they could do a bit more for the inside pool areas - a couple of fake palms or tropical plants, and some imaginative paint schemes could help a bit there.

Ok, the lobby. The lobby takes up the entire first floor. Yes, from the north end to the south end. It's huge. The front desk is in the center. I'll be honest with you, it's the lobby that sold my wife and I on this place before we decided to come here. We had been out for a walk from another hotel a couple of years ago, and decided to check out the Hampton Inn. We loved the pool areas, and then worked our way upstairs to the lobby. We were blown away. The décor is New England seaside, which is nice, but not what sold us. What sold us was the comfortness of the lobby. It is big, with sectioned off areas filled with comfortable furniture, and large TV's throughout. Nice wood floors, and attractive décor makes it seem so inviting. On the beach side are floor to ceiling windows, divided into small sitting areas, each with rocking chairs, so you can sit and look at the ocean day or night, in comfort and style. There is also a long front porch looking over the pool area, and beach - one for each of the two towers. These are great places to get out of the sun in the later afternoon, and sit in the shade and read, or just cool down. You can also sit here in a gentle rain and still enjoy being "at the beach". In the mornings, the free breakfast is from 6-10am. And because they have TWO stations, one for each tower, it cuts down on the harried and frantic rush for food that takes place between 9 and 10, when the teens wake and finally come down! Tons of places to sit, from comfy couches and lounge chairs, to high back stools at high tables. Oh, there are also a couple of fireplaces for the cooler months. And, I can't forget - at 4:00 each afternoon - free cookies! And I don't mean free cheap cookies - they are delicious! Soft and thick and so good! Did I mention that they were free? The lobby is a great place to come hang out at anytime of day or night. Lots of places to settle into a good book, meet with friends or family, play a board game together, etc. I know it's odd to go on and on about a lobby, but this lobby is one of the things that makes this property special.

Our rooms were nice. We had a front master suite with a sliding glass door that opened up to the beach that was literally two feet from my side of the bed. The living room was wide, and opened up to a more spacious balcony than other places I have stayed. What was really nice, is instead of the typical plastic chairs on the balcony, there were two really nice wooden rocking chairs! In the back of the suite was a small, but useful kitchen, and the boys room - which consisted of one queen bed, and a set of full sized bunks (Our choice, as we knew a friend of the boys might stay over for a couple of nights). There was also a bathroom off the living room in the middle of the suite.

Our cleaning lady was helpful, thorough, and very polite. She said that she did our room last each day, as she realized we had teen boys that liked to sleep in!

The entire staff was extremely polite and helpful. All in all, this is a very nice property. I should point out that they really keep a tight ship, as you need your key to get in all of the outside doors, with the exception of the front door that the front desk staff can monitor.

This hotel is more expensive than others in Myrtle Beach. But with free breakfast, that helped off-set our vacation costs extremely. They are very understanding about taking things back to your room, as we did for the boys. As you can see from my signature, we have stayed at a variety of the better, though not the true "luxury", resort hotels in MB, and we feel this is the best so far. We will definitely put this first on our list for next time! If you want an attractive hotel, with tropical feel at the pools, and comfort throughout, then you should take a look at the Hampton Inn Oceanside!

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

Last edited by Rick on Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:31 am 

You had me at "big, soft cookies". Hard cookies are the pits!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:57 am 

Agreed.... free biscuits & gravy along with free cookies = no Brainer ! :nanner:

Really appreciate all the detail..... going to keep Hampton Inn on our short-list.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:55 pm 

My mom and her husband stayed here a few years ago and she raved about it. I think she said it was the nicest place she's ever stayed!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:49 pm 

sounds wonderful!

Last edited by Lou on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:25 pm 

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels ... index.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:56 pm 

Wow!! I am ready to pack my bags and head to the Hampton Inn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:20 pm 

Me too! I just checked out the website...looks so nice!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:28 am 

we made a reservation for late may of next year at this hotel.. we have been looking for a different one, and this sure sounds like its the one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:13 am 

Here's a picture of it from the beach this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk