Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MB passes tent ban
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:01 pm 

Ok, this still confuses me - sorry

I read through all the posted links and did a search and found this http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/0 ... h-and.html

So, in the middle of October with an 8' sport brella which can keep the flaps up and stuck in the ground straight up, is the beach in MB under the rules of Horry County or the City of MB?

If I read it right, MB follows MB rules and not Horry and my sportbrella is allowed in October.

Did I get it right or am I still confused?

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:32 am 

Bottom line yes you can use your shade device in October in the City limits if MB.

Just know if you are in the City or not, many beaches in MB are outside of the City limits and then follow County rules. Many areas of Myrtle Beach are outside of the City limits but are called MB.

Here's a prime example, everyone knows Hwy 501 coming to the beach, South of Walmart there is a bear right fork, that is 3rd Ave, and the Bunny Bar or wahtever it is called today, you nw the building with the pink awning, well it is not in the City limits yet pretty much everything surrounding it is. (over the years areas have been annexed into the City and they tried to annex this a number of years ago, it may have passed but there are many areas like this today)

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:48 am 
Site Admin

Gary, do you know if Huntington Beach State Park is exempt from the tent bans? Wouldn't that fall under Georgetown Co - or do the State Parks make their own rules? At MB State Park they enforce the ban - have (or had) it posted on the entrance to the pier. But I've been to HBSP three times since the law went into effect and I see lots of large canopy tents. So, when people with those huge tents ask me about the ban, I've been telling them it doesn't seem to be a problem at HBSP. Am I wrong?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:41 am 

Patrish your right HBSP is in G-town County so there is no ban in effect on canopies.

I am pretty sure that the MBSP is outside the City limits and thus follows the County ban, to be sure I called the reservation # for the State Parks and was told that there is no ban on use of these devices on the beach.

I then asked if she was sure and she said, well there is nothing about that written in our FAQ's that we use, I asked if she heard of the ban and she said no, I asked if I could talk with a supervisor and finally was connected.

As I asked the same thing, I was told why would there be a ban against this, I said your not serious, you have never heard of this, well no I have not, the call center is in Idaho, they did not even know how to spell Horry County.

Oh how many people have they given wrong info too, I then called Columbia to let them know what is being told to folks, they were very thankful and yet they also could not confirm if it is City or County ban that is observed.

Welcome to the State of confusion :)

So this is what they tell folks as of now, after my call I think it will change very soon :)

Gary

Post subject: MB passes tent ban
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:30 pm 

Total massive confusion. Would have been better if they had put their heads together and all agreed on the same rules and during the same times.

I stay at the Compass Cove so I'm pretty sure that's in the city limits.

Thanks

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:31 pm 

Update, they called back, yes they follow County, so year round ban

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

Gary, thanks so much for checking. The reason I didn't mention MBSP was because they had the 'no canopy' rules taped to the door of the gift shop/tackle bait/ice etc. building. Maybe nobody noticed! :dontknow: HBSP...I was not sure.

All the municipalities - NBM, Surfside, MB city, Horry Co. Georgetown Co. should want to get together on this rule. They already know how confusing it is to explain what's in the city and what's in the county. Your experience was CRAZY. How are tourists supposed to figure it out when even the locals are scratching their heads, and those "in the know" know nothing or give out erroneous answers. :roll:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:32 pm 

There were many canopies on the beach in Surfside last week...but none in front of the rented umbrellas.