Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:10 pm 

Am having knee replacement surgery tomorrow in NJ. We plan on driving down to murrells inlet some time in Sept. For a month or two.
Promised the surgeon that we would stop every 60-90 min so I can get out and walk/they are afraid of blood clots.

Trying to plan out rest stops from NYC down. We go down with I-95 and will do the drive over 2 days. Jersey turnpike has many stops, as do Virginia/NC And SC. Can only remember seeing one stop after Harbor tunnel and before a rest stop just past ...something Mills after Franconia. Any ideas where else we can stop so I can walk around?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:01 pm 

Here is the link to the I95 exit guide. It shows all the rest areas along I95 and what each area has to offer. Each state is showcased. Hope it helps!
http://www.i95exitguide.com/restareas/index.php

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:57 am 

My last trip down to Myrtle Beach ( July 1) the Chesapeake House in Maryland was closed. They are putting up a new building. Looked like it would be a while before it will reopen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:07 pm 

hope your knee surgery goes well and you get your needed
trip to the Beach .....

Dwight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

Miriam, good luck with your knee surgery! I had mine replaced for the second time 6 weeks ago!! We're headed to MB in a month, but my main concern is also the drive down, since the biggest issue with my new knee is it being stuck in one position for a long period of time!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:15 pm 

Surgery went well on June 21. Was in rehab for a week. Home now in NY.starting outpatient rehab Monday with last session on 9/11. Hopefully we will head to MB right after that and stay for about a month. It's a 12 hr drive and we always do it in 1 day but will do it in 2 this time/hubby will drive. Am hoping to make it to around Emporia,Va and stay overnight. Will stop every 60-90 min to get out and walk around. Doc is worried about blood clots.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

I assume that you're taking Lovenox or some other blood thinner?!?! If they didn't give you the support hose, you might want to get a pair!! Blood clots and infection are very serious issues with knee replacements! Not to scare you, but several people in this area have died or come very close to it because of side effects of the surgery!! We are also going to take two days to travel down to MB, since I'm not sure how my knee is going hold out on a long trip!! Anyways, good luck!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:50 am 

My mother just returned from the beach. She had a partial knee replacement about 1.5 months before her trip. She was a little apprehensive about walking on the sand, but did so with no problem. She also used one of those fold up camping chairs to sit in on the beach, instead of the low beach chairs.