Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compass Cove
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:24 pm 

We decided months ago to take a very short (3 night) trip to Myrtle Beach for Spring Break to get away from the cold Winter up north. To be on the safe side, we researched Myrtle Beach hotels with multiple indoor pools. Good thing we did, because it was very cold and very wet when we were there!

I’ve have spent nearly every summer at Myrtle Beach for the past 47 years, but this was my first visit to Compass Cove. We chose Compass Cove because of the incredible price and because of the multiple indoor pools. Our 3 night stay was $226 TOTAL for a Pinnacle Ocean View Double Efficiency. When we arrived, check-in was quick and easy. The Pinnacle Tower had a 3-level parking garage, so we were able to easily find a spot, unload the car, and head to our room. When we got there, we were surprised to find that we actually had an Ocean FRONT room on the 6th floor!

The Pinnacle Building includes two rooms of indoor water amenities. One room has the indoor pool and a hot tub, the other room has the lazy river, two hot tubs, and a small children’s pool. On the second floor of the Pinnacle Building is the Crow’s Nest Sports Bar/ Restaurant. We had a snack there one day and dinner there one evening. The food was good, the place was festive (and welcoming for children), and the service was great. We had to stay indoors because of the very cold weather, but they have a large outdoor deck overlooking the Ocean. It looks like it would be an awesome place for a drink and a snack during the summer.

The other indoor pool area is in its own building between the check-in desk and the Schooner Building. It is very bright, has a pool, lazy river, and two hot tubs. It also has the “landing area” for the two slides (which start outside). Despite the very cold weather, many kids gave the slides a try. There are many outdoor pools which we did not use. There are outdoor shuffle board courts, tiki bar, kids pool areas, and really so much to do and see. There are lawn chairs for sunbathing everywhere, and the multiple pool areas are connected by a very long deck that basically is like having your own boardwalk. They also have a lawn area with chairs. It’s a big complex, so I’m sure there are many people who stay there in the Summer, but unlike most resorts, they really have a lot of Ocean Front Room, pools, decks, and chairs to accommodate a large group.

The resort offers free movies. They have kiosks on the first floor of each building that are similar to a “Red Box.” The movies are very current, free, and you can rent as many as you want. With the poor weather, we ended up getting 4 movies on our trip and really enjoyed that benefit. We enjoyed shopping, entertainment, and dining away from the Resort as well, but Compass Cove truly does have just about everything you would need. The area around the hotel is safe, the Resort is well maintained, housekeeping was very good, and the staff kept the pool areas (and the rambunctious kids) in good shape. Check out was also easy, and every member of the staff we met was pleasant and sincere. We would definitely recommend this resort to anyone visiting Myrtle Beach.

Scott

Post subject: Re: Compass Cove
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:07 pm 

Scott, you have no idea how much you just made my day!! We will be staying at the Compass Cove the last week of June, thanks in no small part to the advice we found on this board, and we are excited and anxious :ohnoes: at the same time!! So glad to read your review of the hotel. Sounds like you booked the same room we did, and while the price for this time of year was a little high, it was the only way to get what we really wanted. Thanks again for your review!! :wav:
Melissa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:24 pm 

Compass Cove is a great resort. The first time I stayed there was when I was 12 years old. It was called the Swamp Fox back then. Many of its buildings had not been added yet. It has always been a great place to experience MB from. The southern end of MB is my favorite area.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:06 am 

Melissa,
I think you'll really enjoy Compass Cove. One trend I've seen at Myrtle Beach is that the newer resorts are very tall, but not wide. Which means there is only a small beach area in front of the hotel, and with multiple high-rises beside each other, the beach gets incredibly crowded.

I don't think you'll have that problem with Compass Cove. They have 3 buildings and their footprint is wide. Plus, they are near the end of Ocean Boulevard, so it seems to me that despite the size of the resort that the beach would feel much less crowded there.

We've stayed at so many wonderful places (and really love Monterey Bay Suites in the northern end), it will be really difficult for us to pick where we will stay on our next summertime visit. Compass Cove was really that impressive to us.

Have an awesome trip, and please post a trip report when you get back.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:12 pm 

Been staying at the Cove since 2008. I like how quiet the area is and not as congested as the centre of Ocean Blvd.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and you're going to love it Melissa. Another nice restaurant is the Compass Rose for breakfast. I love their buffet and I always ask for Jennifer to serve us. Every year she remembers me the second I walk in. She offers true southern charm.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:53 am 

I'm glad you posted this! I've been wondering about Compass Cove because it always catches my attention when we drive by. We're growing very attached to The Breakers but always like to have some other places in mind in case we see a great deal or want something last minute. This is definitely going on my list.

The movie rental thing you mentioned is something we really enjoyed on our trip earlier this spring. (We stayed at The Breakers) Since it was our first vacation with children (two toddler boys) it was so nice to be able to go grab a dvd when they needed some entertainment in the room. Not something I would have ever imagined taking advantage of before having kids.. my, how things change :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:28 pm 

The free movies at the Cove is great. You never know when you're going to spend a night in but theres nothing on the tube. Great to have this machine in the lobby. Theres a dvd player in every room so if your kids have a favorite, bring it along.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:23 am 

Melia, just an fyi, Breakers and Compass Cove have the same owner.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:34 am 

I had no idea! That's good to know. Thanks Gary!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:07 pm 

Scott, how did you like it in comparison to Monterey Bay Suites? We were disappointed in our stay last September & the year before so we have talked about looking for somewhere else to stay when we return next year (can't make it this year for the first time in over 20 years due to Danny's medical problems).

Karen in Upstate SC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:11 am 

Tough call Karen. I really prefer the northern end of Myrtle Beach, and I just don't think you can beat the deal at Monterey Bay during the summer. That said, Compass Cove really was nice. I'll have to make a decision myself when we get back in a couple of years.

I hope Danny is doing well. It would be impolite for me to ask what his medical problems are, so I'll just make sure to pray that he is healed, healthy, and happy.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:14 pm 

Scott, that's why we are having such a difficult time deciding to go. We love that northern end of Myrtle Beach, too, & hate to give it up. The fantastic deals that Monterey Bay gives also extend into September when we go. I have not been able to find a place that comes even close to their deal & be as nice as the MB is! That's why we have been coming back year after year since 2007! But those issues we encountered the past two years have us questioning going back. Maybe they will be fixed by the time we do get to go back! At least we can hope so!

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:01 pm 

Karen, the only issues we had last year dealt with the eroding beach. The "swash" from the road totally encompassed the beach in front of the Hotel next door. Many people just don't understand about the germs in that backwater and we were horrified to see so many kids playing in that backwater.

It is now encroaching on the area in front of Monterey Bay, and making that beachfront untenable. But other than that we really enjoy that place.
Scott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:49 am 

Scott, our issues were room related in 2012 & staff related last year. Hopefully that will have been resolved if/when we go back next year.

Evidently they had addressed is swash issue after y'all left last year because when we were there we could tell it had been bulldozed & was much narrower than it had been in previous years but as you said, it still didn't stop the kids & adults from wading & playing in it. We were amazed that adults were sitting down in it with their kids! Unbelievable!!!!!

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:29 pm 

Thanks for your review of Compass Cove! We stayed there several times, but not recently. We will be there in September with our daughter and family. :cheerleader:

Vacation pics 2014