Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Driving from Akron
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:07 am 

hello, we are leaving June 28th for MB :cheerleader: and we have been several times but never at this time (week of the 4th). We are staying towards the south end of MB but we are not opposed to arriving in NMB. We came 2 years with the entire family and had a really nice ride in but none of us can remember which way we came. I do know that we were on route 1 at some point and we didnt get into SC until right at the very end of the trip which we took 9 all the way to route 17. We went thru some very, very small towns that were really run down looking but I cant remember where they were. We are staying close to Route 544 but one year we came in on 544 and sat in traffic for hours so that is why i was thinking of coming in thru NMB. I heard to expect lots and lots of traffic but Im just wanting to see about some different directions. I do know that an old message board that I was on said that the way we came was a "older route" that most people do not take anymore. We will be leaving around 4am on the 28th. Thanks so much

Post subject: Re: Driving from Akron
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:47 am 
Forum Support

aangel wrote:
hello, we are leaving June 28th for MB :cheerleader: I do know that an old message board that I was on said that the way we came was a "older route" that most people do not take anymore.

Welcome! I won't try to help you with directions, I will leave that to the "professionals" here. I'm good with a map, but I do make the occasional mistake. I still use the old fashioned Rand McNally.

The route you took, I think we took on our 2nd trip the MB. We didn't think we were EVER going to arrive. The one bright spot was this HUGE new house we saw on the route. We figured it was someone "famous". Big tour bus and all.

Good Luck and Safe Travels! Please do come back and post a trip report. No matter how big or small, it really does help others with their stay.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:37 pm 

Anybody have any directions that will help with the traffic?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:20 pm 

Will you be on I-95 near Lumberton NC? If so you could take Rt. 74 EAST (Exit14). Go East for about 24 miles to Chadbourne, then hop onto 410 south, to 701 , to Rt 9, and then 31 (Carolina Bays Parkway),and 22 East.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:29 pm 

Since you are coming from Akron, I assume you are taking the 220 route after Winston Salem. If so, once past Rockingham, take 74 to outside Laurenburg, where you jump on 501 which then merges with 130. Stay on 130 til it hits 904, and then take 904 to Tabor City and jump on 701 to route 9. you can then take 9 into Cherry Grove or take it to 31 to go farther south in NMB. This is the fastest and least crowded route I've found. You are off the highway for awhile though, so don't plan on having alot of places to stop. Take a good look at the route online ahead of time, and have a map or GPS handy, paying close attention to route signs. Once you've taken the route once or twice, its a breeze.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:32 am 

New stretch since your last trip. RT 52 to Winston Salem. Pass up Business I 40 and go another couple miles to I 40 east towards Greensboro. You'll be seeing signs for RT 311 by now.
Second exit on I 40 is RT 311 to High Point. Can't miss it. I 40 is three lanes to that point and right lane exits onto RT 311.
RT 311 is future I 74 so you'll be seeing those signs also.
Runs over to RT 220 just above Asheboro. Smooth sailing. Little traffic. Much more relaxing than the six lane rat race through Greensboro.

In Rockingham RT 220 merges into RT 1. At south end of town you have BP on the right and large truck/stop travel plaza on the right for a leg stretch. Just past that take RT 74 east.
Be on your toes crossing RT 74. It is also future I 74. It is I 74 in spots. Speed limit goes up and down a few times. Can be 70 for a few miles and then down to 60 in the next few.
I agree with Ron on the route over to Chadbourn and down. Less two lane, route number changes or intersections to navigate.

Pick up RT 31 at Little River. It runs straight down to south end of Strand. Ends at RT 544 a few miles out from oceanfront.
Maybe Patrish or another local can run out to end of RT 31 to confirm this. We ran down to Surfside last week. Unless I'm confusing the intersection with someplace else. The exit has been changed due to construction. It's been changed from a long loop around and merge into traffic ramp. It is now a straight ramp and left turn at the bottom. If remembering it right there wasn't a stoplight so could be hassle turning left on a Saturday.
If that's the case it might be easier to turn right and go a block or two, turn left and then merge into traffic heading towards beach.

Return trip the following week. Earlier you can hit the road the better. Last week driving into beach there was steady stream of traffic on the two lane between Tabor City and Chadbourn just before noon. We left yesterday at 7:30am and had little if any traffic on the two lane.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:01 am 

When you get to MB I would exit 31 at Robert Grissom Parkway. Robert Grissom takes you around the backside of Broadway at the Beach and ends at the road the airport is on, which will put you on the south end of MB proper. I always try to avoid 544 on check-in day because of all of the campers heading to Ocean Lakes and Lakewood.