Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:58 am 

I'm interested in people's opinion regarding proceeding between Winston-Salem and Asheboro:

52 south to 64 to 220 or
52 south to 40 to 311 to 220.

Which is quicker?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:13 pm 

Without actually using both and timing it, might be a question without a real answer.
Parkfan is only one I've heard use the 52/64 route.
The new 311 stretch hasn't been open very long so few have had a chance to use it. Did hear on a post somewhere it saved approx. 10 minutes compared to driving through Greensboro.
I'm looking forward to Oct trip to try out RT 311. Even without time savings it should be less traffic/stressful.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:19 pm 

As Alan pointed out, I'm usually the one advocating the 52 to 64 route. There is so much traffic on 52 to Winston Salem, and then everyone gets off on I-40. We stay on 52 for another 20 miles and are usually the only car on the 4-lane road! I'll do anything to avoid Greensboro/ High Point, as that has been the worst traffic I have ever seen and will not go that way again. I've never been on the new 311, but if it truly avoids the ridiculous traffic around Greensboro, then it is probably a very good route.

Last year, there was major construction around Winston Salem and many posters here were advocating any route OTHER then 52 through Winston Salem. I received some advice here on the message board from another member on an alternative route by staying on Interstate 77 longer and bypassing Winston Salem. We took that route, really liked it, and used it again this year. I really like Lexington, NC and the drive on route 64 is something I enjoy. Here is the alternative route that I took the past 2 years. It was easy and quite fast:

- I77 South to Exit 73 A

- Take US 421 South towards Yadkinville/ Winston Salem for 9 miles to Exit 257

- Take US 601 South for 18 miles to Mocksville

- Rt 64 East (or South) 45 miles to Asheboro

- South on US 220 for 60 miles to Rockingham

I like to explore, and sometimes prefer to get off the beaten path for a change of scenery. But if you are looking for some solid advice, you should go with what Alan (Pop2748) recommends. He's a professional driver, and has more seat time than all of us put together. Good luck with whichever way you choose to go. Have a great trip.

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:38 pm 

WVParkfan wrote:
He's a professional driver, and has more seat time than all of us put together.

Scott

All that means is I get paid when I screw up. I get lost like everybody else. It just doesn't bother me.

Some of my first trips with Ruann were during all the construction years. Different route down and back and then another one on the next trip. Never used a map. When lost just looked for north/south or east/west and went with it until I saw a sign pointing to a town I'd heard of.

Always told her if we kept making right turns we'd get where we were going or back to where we started.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

When I lived/worked in Roanoke, I often had to pass through Greensboro. I lived in Roanoke until the mid-90s, and I never once saw Greensboro without construction. We used to joke that it was the single site in the US where road work was taught. Once a new group learned how to change road patterns and build highways, they would tear it all down and turn it over to new group of recruits who would start all over again.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:44 pm 

:ac41[1]:
As a North Carolina native, I can attest to that!

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:32 pm 

I was finally able to take the 311 route bypassing Greensboro a week or so ago, and it saved at least 10 minutes I'd say. The only confusing part going both south and returning north was that 311 ended while the freeway continued, to meet up with 220. Heading south wasn't a problem. I just stayed on the freeway, figuring it would hit 220 eventually, and it did in short order. Heading north however, I'm pretty sure the exit didn't say to 311. Rather, it said "High Point" (which I knew I had passed on my way down), and maybe "Winston-Salem", so I knew I wanted that. I was looking for "311", and might have missed it otherwise. A minor technicality, but worth mentioning, unless there was a 311 reference heading north which I missed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:39 pm 

52 south to 40 to 311 to 220

We just ran this reverse, from MB to Michigan last week. I don't know how quicker it was, but it was a real smooth drive and we enjoyed it a lot more than the big city driving!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:09 pm 

Think I'm gonna give Parkfan/pop's route a go this year since we'll be travelling on July 4th. I gotta think the traffic around Winston-Salem/Greensboro/High Point will be a nightmare.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:29 pm 

The 311 route is quite nice though I don't see any issue with taking I-40 to 220. Years ago, it was awful but the road has improved greatly. Yeah, there's a lot of traffic but there are at least 6 lanes in each direction to handle it. The only issue I had with 311 was that it goes down to 55mph for a stretch. We've been on it early morning as well as evening and saw no issue with traffic. The I-40 to 220 is always flow of traffic speed. Usually this is 70mph. 311 isn't any faster of a route as far as time goes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:13 pm 

We have been taking the Yadkinville/ Mockville/Asheboro route for several years...it is a pleasant drive with little traffic...get on 220 and on to Rockingham...really easy...we often stay over in Rockingham(Holiday Inn Express)...then it is a short trip next day into Myrtle/Surfside area.