Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: N. Ocean Blvd. hotels
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:39 pm 

Yesterday I did some research to decide on where to stay in September. We love the N. Ocean Blvd. location of the Dayton House at 2400 N. Ocean Blvd. so I checked all the hotels/resorts that are close by. I called Dayton House first and I told them I was calling them first and I had stayed there many times. I told her that we were on a budget and I wanted to check around some other places. After that I called five more places to compare. These are the results for 5 nights in an oceanfront efficiency. Numbers are all charges including tax.

Dayton House- $705.05

Boardwalk Beach Resort-$713

Camelot-$706

Best Western Carolinian-$655

Patricia Grande-$603

Breakers Beach Resort-$514

Well we chose Breakers, but not just because it was the cheapest. The girl on the phone was the friendliest of all I spoke with. The price we got wasn't the first price she gave me. When I told her I was checking around some other places she offered me a 25% discount if I booked that day and that's what brought it down to $514. She was really the only person I talked to that seemed to want my business. I told her I would call her back and I got on the message board and researched Breakers. We also stayed there several years ago when the kids were little. I was amazed that it was almost $200 less than Dayton House. Breakers also has many more amenities than Dayton House. We have great memories at Dayton House but I guess it's time to move.

2000-Compass Cove
2001-Breakers Resort
2003-Compass Cove
2005-Crown Reef
2006-Dayton House
2007-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. NMB
2007-Dayton House
2008-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. \ Dayton House
2009-Dayton House
2011-Dayton House
2012-Wyndham Towers on the Grove
2014-Breakers Resort

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:51 pm 

The latest reviews I have read about the DH is that it is in need of some upgrades. The reputation of the DH has always been friendly employees and clean rooms, but that can only go on so long. People are eventually going to start choosing hotels with modern features if rates are similar. Eventually they will have to start investing some of the money back into the property. We stayed one night in the DH building located across the street from the main building about five years ago. I expected it to be dated (it was clean), but not as bad as it was. The decor of the room was straight out of the early 80s. I assume the main building is in need of an update too.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:53 pm 

We stayed at Breakers the year before last and we are going back to it this year. It was nice.

I like that area a lot. It is convenient for walking to shops and restaurants. Broadway at the Beach and the Boardwalk is close.

The pools were kind of crowded, but we tend to go in July. July is just - crowded. Ha!

We have also stayed at Camelot and Roxanne Tower nearby. We liked them too.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:02 pm 

You got a good deal Jeff. That same room for the end of June thru early July is $1,193.28. That is the Palmetto Oceanfront Efficiency (JE) ?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:26 pm 

Yes Ron it is the Palmetto building.

2000-Compass Cove
2001-Breakers Resort
2003-Compass Cove
2005-Crown Reef
2006-Dayton House
2007-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. NMB
2007-Dayton House
2008-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. \ Dayton House
2009-Dayton House
2011-Dayton House
2012-Wyndham Towers on the Grove
2014-Breakers Resort

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:19 am 
Site Admin

Jeff, this supports my theory that customer service is still what it's all about. I can't tell you how many times letters I have written in the past for just this very reason. Additionally, it looks like you got a super deal! Thanks for sharing your results with everyone.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:24 pm 

My golf crew has been staying at the Breakers for the last 15+ years! We've stayed in the Paradise Tower since it opened. We found very clean rooms and facilities and great service! We are returning again in October!