Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:46 pm 

Greetings from Chicagoland! Yes, I now live basically in Canada, but I grew up in Winston-Salem, NC and both sets of grandparents lived in Rockingham, super close to the beach. One set of grandparents rented the same house each year in Crescent beach for at least 10 years. Don't remember exact location, but i believe it was like 4th row. Big old house that seemed to sleep about 100 ;-). I remember the OD Pavilion and Crescent Arcades like it was yesterday though. Unfortunately, as everyone aged, we got away from going as a family as much, but I did have a roommate in college whose mom had a condo in Cherry Grove. Free place to stay for 10 college guys for a weekend and only a short drive from Chapel Hill? Yes, please! In the years after UNC, I somehow ended up married with 2 kids, living in Chicago. My worst fear, not an affordable beach within driving distance! Unless you count Lake Michigan, which I don't! We did spend a weekend with the kids in NMB about 5 years ago when we were in Rockingham visiting, but I think it was late Sept and the kids just didn't get the full summer experience. Well, gosh darnit, it's time we got that rectified! Guess where we're staying 6/30-7/6? Yep, college roommate's condo in Cherry Grove. I cannot wait. Work has already taken a backseat to me dreaming of the beach. :lol: Wife thinks I'm nuts of course, but I've already got a packing list, planned out where we're eating, etc. After this insane winter up here in the tundra, I deserve a week at the beach. With beer and fried seafood. Crab Catchers, here we come. Oh, I'm Scott, by the way!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:26 pm 

Welcome to the board. No better way to break the kids in than by starting them out in MB during the week of July 4th. MB has been a part of my life since I was a young child, and we have continued the tradition for our children. Couldn't think of any other place that I would rather spend my summer vacation than MB. Enjoy the trip. I will be down about two weeks after you..

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:33 pm 

Welcome Scott!! Love me some Cherry Grove!! My favorite place EVER! Parents bought a house back in 1981 in Longs so we have been coming ever since...over 30 years (feeling old here :wink: ) Can so understand your enthusiasm after this past winter...BRUTAL!! Look forward to your posts and enjoy the "dreaming."

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:24 pm 

Scott,

I love your enthusiasm and only a real Myrtle Beach lover has it. You are going to fit in just fine here on the board. Can't wait to hear about your trip. We will actually be there a few days while you are there. Like you we are counting down the days, I am also packing, making a restaurant list, planning out my budget, reading old trip reports....would you like for me to go on? Yes, I am a little enthused also :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, Scott! Thanks for choosing to join us, and we look forward to your posts.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:36 am 

Welcome to the board, Scott! Always good to have a Tar Heel join. Chapel Hill is beautiful, but it does not quite measure up to Myrtle Beach! Cherry Grove is my favorite area to stay in. Will be there next week. Hope you have a great time on your trip! And GO HEELS!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:52 am 

Welcome Scott from another Tar Heel who now lives in Upstate SC!! As I always say, you can take the Tar Heel out of the state, but you can't take the State out of the Tar Heel! I totally understand your excitement about sharing the beach with your family! I look forward to reading your posts. Please don't forget to do a trip report! We love them!!!

Karen in Upstate SC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 pm 

Welcome. You may not quite live in Canada but the winter you put in qualifies. Lol. Enjoy your beach stay.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:43 pm 

In my haste to post my hello, I left out some key parts. :shock: My dad and stepmom retired to NMB in the late 90's, living in Tidewater, right off 17th tee and the ICW. My mom lives in VA, so as I'm sure a lot of you have to deal with, family "vacations" often have to coincide with holidays and with my family 15 hours away from Chicago, summer vacations have been pretty few. :cry: My 13 yo daughter got to visit the Tidewater house twice before my dad decided to up and move to FL and my 9 yo son never did. However, both trips for my daughter were at Thanksgiving. Awesomely quiet time at the beach then, but not optimal beach weather! So to build on what I said before, this is the season that this all changes. Having spent so much time at the beach growing up (NMB, Ocean Isle, Wrightsville), i just feel like my kids have been cheated out of so much. Especially since they have to spend 4 months inside up here! :mad: Now if I can get my son off the iPad for a week, that's another story. :wink: The condo is right at 43rd in Cherry Grove, so a short walk from the pier. These kids will have fun doing "nothing" if it kills me! Who needs electronics (ok, maybe some tunes) when you have this giant free beach? 39 more sleeps!!!