Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:12 am 
Site Admin

This is probably as close as I'll ever get to a trip report for Myrtle Beach! :clown:
Yesterday Wally and I were on Ocean Blvd. when I spotted the new sign for Waves, the subject of a recent Hotel Impossible show. (located at 2502 N. Ocean Blvd)

Wally parked the car and I went inside to see if I might be able to view one of the renovated rooms...and I'm so glad I did.

Even if you don't consider staying here, you really need to stop in and say hello to the new owners/managers. They are just the sweetest couple and most down-to-earth people you could meet. Their names are Dewey Hill and his wife Maria Brickwedde. (They both appeared on the Hotel Impossible show.) If they are busy, just leave word that you're part of the FunBeaches message board.

Dewey gave me the "grand tour" and Maria tagged along to make sure he was showing me the right rooms! You could see the pride as well as the concern on both their faces. Dewey told me that he applied to the Hotel Impossible crew after seeing one of their shows, even though he didn't think they had much chance of being selected. Of course they were chosen to be featured, and it has turned their world around.

In the photos below you'll see the newly appointed entrance, the very nice insulation padding which was done on the elevator, a couple of the new guest rooms...and of course the ocean views! The floors are new, the patio boasts new table and chair, the rooms that offer kitchens have new appliances and tile, and the decorations are lovely.

I'm sorry that I had only the wide angle lens on my camera. I was not expecting to shoot a newly renovated motel when we started out.

So here you go!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:35 am 

Patrish,

Thanks so much for doing this. So glad that things are looking up for Waves. I did friend them on FB yesterday and left them a little note. I hope all the advertising will make this their biggest summer ever. Oh, and I do hope to find a few minutes to stop by in July. Cheering them on :wav:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:38 am 

Great pics ! (as usual.... )

Looks like the episode will be repeated May 10 at 3p EST on the Travel channel. Set your DVRs !

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:44 am 

Thanks for the pictures! This hotel was a major part of my childhood. We stayed there since I was 4 or 5 and I am now 36! It did get a bit run down but I am so happy that they have this new opportunity!! I grew up knowing the original owners, The Schmidts. They always treated us like family.

After seeing that they are trying to get a fresh new start, my husband and I have booked a long weekend with them in September for our anniversary! :nanner: I booked one of the newly renovated rooms. I have to say, you couldn't beat the price they gave us. I will definitely post pictures of our room when we go.

We are also coming to Myrtle in July for a family vacation with our two girls, but are staying at Monterey Bay Suites. They seemed to offer a little more for our kids. I am so excited....I can't hardly wait!! 65 days and counting til I am in my own little paradise :wav:

Kristin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary, Kristen!

Lucky you, getting to come to the beach twice. We will all be waiting for you reviews of Waves and Monterey Bay Suites.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Edit...I just added another photo...one I had missed....next to the bottom.