Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crown Reef
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:04 am 

Not finding a thread about this place.....so will start this one.

I don't want to do this to disparage a person's business.....but to be fair to the readers here.....I thought this should be noted. I am copying below what I wrote from my trip report today:

Walked south today. So, we pulled off the beach at the Crown Reef Resort to take a look at it. Wow......one word......OLD. It has always looked so impressive as you drive by, especially at night. But get up close, and it's wrinkles really show. At one end the paint(plaster?) was literally falling off the exterior surfaces. It looked like no on really took care of the pool deck areas at the south end (maybe that area was closed?) - while it looks like a very nice pool layout - they are not being taken care of well - numerous hot tubs were empty - some with water were down right dirty - the lazy river, while long and impressive, was cold and dirty - while we did not enter inside any rooms - we walked up to the first floor and looked in on the public rooms (lounge area, bathrooms, gift shop - not impressed at all. To top it all off....the parking garage was virtually empty - there was hardly anyone staying at this place. This place either needs a MAJOR overhaul - or needs to be imploded and something new built here. If I had made a reservation here - I would have been EXTREMELY disappointed!

Just thought that should be out there.

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

Post subject: Re: Crown Reef
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:37 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for putting this information in a separate string, Rick. Sometimes "trip reviews" cover so much ground (as they should) that a specific accommodations or restaurant review sometimes get tucked away in the overall content.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:05 pm 

Thanks for the heads up! My inlaws were debating going there this fall so I will let them know.

Landmark Resort August 2005
Boardwalk Beach Resort July 2006
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2007, 2008, 2009
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2010
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2011, 2012, 2013
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2014
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2015

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:32 pm 

Thanks..glad I'm sticking with Compass Cove

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:49 pm 

You can't go wrong with Compass Cove or any of the Brittan family resorts.

Crown Reef has been around a long time but 2 of the 3 towers are only around 13 years old.

Maybe since Mr Jordan and his right hand man who passed last year or maybe it was the year before, are no longer running things, things are going by the wayside.

I remember when Mr Jordan would be in the dinning room talking to all his guests asking what they could do to make their stay more enjoyable, he had such a warming personality, most people did not realize this old kindly gentleman owned the place.

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:01 pm 

We were down about a month ago for a quick little get a way. I know the outside is kinda starting to look a little shabby and rundown also from the road. This time of year many places are sprucing up the road side of their resort and hotels by planting new flowers abd shrubs, painting, cleaning, etc. I didn't see any of this at Crown Reef like we did and many of the other places along Ocean Blvd.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:39 pm 

Thanks Gary,

My first 2 trips down I stayed at the Sea Dip. Second experience was a bad one so I went looking. Found CC and have been a repeat customer every year since 2008

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:32 am 

I probably should update this since I started by beating it up two years ago.

We walked by the Crown Reef the other day, and though I did not get up close, I could tell that work is being done on it. They seem to have the south tower under construction - maybe even closed off now? They even appear to be doing added on construction - perhaps a beachfront restaurant? They have cranes, and cement trucks there, with men doing meaningful work.

So, if anyone knows more?

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

Last edited by Rick on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:27 am 

According to their website, they're renovating heavily starting with the rooms themselves. Also, they're adding new water amenities as well as a "Loco Gecko" restaurant on site. Looks like they're trying!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:00 am 

Yes there is a complete remodel almost finished and here you can read about it:

As one of Myrtle Beach’s largest resort renovations in the last five years, Crown Reef Resort is entirely remodeling all its 500 plus rooms and adding several new amenities unique to the Grand Strand.
Recently purchased by Legacy Business Solutions ownership group and joining the Vacation Myrtle Beach resort family, the 20-year-old, all-oceanfront resort is undergoing a $7 million renovation that began in late fall. All the new rooms are scheduled for completion by April 2014 in time for the spring and summer tourist season with one tower already available for stays.......click for more... http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/02/prweb11617938.htm

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:22 am 

Wow, nice...thanks for that Gary. Will maybe have to put that on the radar for next time!

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:45 pm 

Your welcome Rick and heres info on the waterslides

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – The Crown Reef Resort is opening a new waterpark for guests in late Spring 2014 with two enclosed 38-foot-tall water slides, and the world's first hotel "Explosion" slide.

The two-person "Explosion" is 38 feet tall, 278 feet long, and will pump more than 2,500 gallons of water per minute. The one-person "Twister" is 38 feet tall, 302 feet long, and will pump 800 gallons of water per minute. The park will also feature an 8-foot-tall, 20-foot-long "Kiddie" slide.

According to a news release from the Crown Reef, all three will finish in an area that can be enclosed during the cooler months and left open during the warmer season.

"The ‘Explosion' is a two-person serpentine-style ride with many left-to-right turns in 54-inch enclosed flumes," said Nik Paas of ProSlide Technology Inc. "There are tight radius, 360-degree turns where the fiberglass enlarges and explodes into a 72-inch diameter to provide a change of speed and direction and add an all-new experience to the ride."

In addition to the water slides, the new park will include a play area, and a pool bar and grill.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:39 pm 

Never stayed at Crown Reef, but the potential of the place looks unlimited. Location is good, the place is huge, and even when not in great condition on the inside, it looked good from the outside. Glad to hear that it is being updated.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:14 pm 

We stayed there when it was brand new in 1994. The rooms were super small! In Myrtle before and a few years after we stayed at CR, we stayed at the former Golden Villa, The Palms, The Windsurfer and now at Oceans One. By far CR was the tiniest room. We were closterphobic (sp?) with just 2 in the room. I can't imagine how they'd solve that problem unless they knocked a few walls down to make the rooms larger, and I doubt that happened. After staying at Oceans One I can't imagine how small the Crown Reef room would seem now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:44 pm 

I'm glad they're updating! I have always wondered how nice it was inside as it's our favorite to see all lit up at night!

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014