Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:54 pm 

Quote:
an umbrella may not be ideal, but it will protect from the sun.

That exactly my thought. I TOTALLY get why a tent would be awesome. You can keep it up and not move it much if at all with the sun, larger area of coverage, convenient for you etc... however I do agree that an umbrella works well. Everyone was fine before them and will be after them. Everyone will find a way to accomodate.

We used a brocken umbrella the first year we brohgt my 1 year old son and it was efficient for what was needed. I would also not keep my kids out at the beach all day either (personally).

I can see both sides.. and... like stated before, if people would have been considerate, it woudln't have been ruined for everyone else. keep a row of them in the back out of view and out of the major walk ways and I suspect we woudln't be in this situation (at least yet).

As a side note, I think it's weird when people leave anything out on the beach unattended (for example stuff can fly away). If we go back to our room for even a little bit we take everything with us. Then if "our spot" is taken, we move to a different spot. I also think it's ridiculous that you would leave anything (including a TENT) out all night... :roll:

I suppose any ruling they came to, would have been liked and disliked!

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:12 am 

Reflecting upon my previous thoughts and reply to this topic, I realize that I'm mistaken in my assessment of the situation. For whatever reason, I forget that not everyone stays in an oceanfront hotel/resort like many of us do. The folks who visit the beach from a few blocks away or as much as several miles don't have the luxury of grabbing their things and heading back to the room for lunch or just to get out of the sun for a half hour. With that being said, I get it. I don't see an issue with the pop-ups as long as they're far enough behind the lifeguard chairs and at least 10 feet away from each other. The folks who use them do have to realize though that these things are taking up more space than is needed. The Grand Strand beaches are not wide enough to accommodate a plethora of these things and those staying oceanfront should be courteous enough to leave theirs at home.

Last edited by phroggy on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Quote Ash:
...As a side note, I think it's weird when people leave anything out on the beach unattended...

I always get a kick out of people who sit near us (or me if I'm alone) at the beach. They don't know us from Douglas Clark and Carol Bundy, but they will approach our comfort zone and ask "Could you watch our stuff while we"....take a walk, go the restroom, head back to the room for a few minutes, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:26 am 

patrish wrote:

I always get a kick out of people who sit near us (or me if I'm alone) at the beach. They don't know us from Douglas Clark and Carol Bundy, but they will approach our comfort zone and ask "Could you watch our stuff while we"....take a walk, go the restroom, head back to the room for a few minutes, etc.

We leave our non valuable stuff all the time and never give it a second thought. More often than not our "neighbors" are staying in same building. We don't know their names or where they're from but we see them every day on the beach, the pool or the elevator....Not that unusual for semi- strangers to help each other even without asking. They go for walk and tide comes in to their spot. We move their stuff back for them and not surprised if they returned favor later for us. Great thing about beach time. Good people out number the bad.

Apologies to my beach friends who use canopies. I have to get this off my chest.
As most of you know I do little on the beach. Read, nap, walk. People watch and observe. The reason I support the ban is I've looked closely at the canopies around me and on my walks. I'm not seeing all the issues many bring up in their support for the canopies.
Other than mid day when sun is overhead the sun is at an angle shining under the canopy. The shade is over to the side and usually smaller usable area than the 10x10 canopy making the shade.
Large groups aren't under the canopy. They have their chairs lined up in front in a semi-circle to talk or down at waters edge sitting in the tide. Only thing under the canopies are coolers and beach bags.
Kids aren't sitting in the shade. They're in the water, digging in the sand or heading up to the pool.
Small babies. Only on the beach for an hour or two but canopy sits there for eight.
Canopies are ok off season when they will be allowed with the law. But peak season. The amount of shade they provide plus the time people are actually under them......Doesn't justify all the wasted beach space.

We pack one of these when we have kids with us. Fold the flaps up. Extend the pole and you have beach umbrella. Used as shelter you have room for two chairs, cooler and still room for a kid or two. Can move it with the sun so no matter where the sun is.....You're in the shade.
http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Brella-X-La ... rts+brella

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:28 pm 

I definitely think this is a topic where everyone will just disagree with one another.

Generally speaking for the same space and options you are paying more for a beachfront room, so you pay for the convenience too of going back and forth to your room. That's not in everyone's budget of course, but that's something you pay for I guess.

We had someone ask us to watch their stuff for them (towels and some misc items) and they were gone for HOURS (literally). To the point where we had left and their stuff was still there. Hopefully no one ended up taking it! I don't think it's a problem to leave your stuff there if you're playing in the water, taking a walk, looking for shells, running to the restroom quick etc... but I don't (personally) think it's odd leaving your stuff on the beach if you leave the premises.

Again, I understand why people would want to bring the canopies, but people came before them and people will come after them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:30 pm 

Also, that's an interesting sun shade, I had never seen one of those. That's a good option and very versitile.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:05 pm 

Got this in an email today

http://www.condolux.net/vacations-blog/ ... le-banned/

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:56 pm 
Forum Support

dbusguy wrote:

Wow so this is also banned.

pop2748 wrote:

We pack one of these when we have kids with us. Fold the flaps up. Extend the pole and you have beach umbrella. Used as shelter you have room for two chairs, cooler and still room for a kid or two. Can move it with the sun so no matter where the sun is.....You're in the shade.
http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Brella-X-La ... rts+brella

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:07 pm 

We have a sportbrella too. Not allowed in NMB. Luckily we usually visit late, sept or during Oct. Even if MB makes the same changes, this won't effect us.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:40 pm 

Time for another look at this picture. This is the problem.
From Myrtle Beach online
http://media.myrtlebeachonline.com/smed ... St.78.jpeg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:12 pm 

WOW!!! That is eye opening. I don't remember it being that bad. You couldn't get a stroller through there much less an emergency vehicle.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:25 pm 

Heard on T/A last night the Sport-Brella probably didn't fit the description of what they were allowing. Not going to lose any sleep over it. All else fails we can still put it up as an umbrella. Even then we'll seldom use it. Last time we were there with kids I think I used it twice. More time (few minutes to carry it down and set it up) messing with it than it was used.

Did write a note to City of NMB for clarification. Seems the issue might be "grounding ropes". Depending on their definition of "grounding ropes" Sport-Brella doesn't have any. Yes they have small loops around edge for stakes but they don't stretch out away from the dome creating a tripping hazard.

Reading more and more responses from folk planning on taking their canopies to other beaches. Will be interesting in a few years when those beaches see an increase in tents if they enact their own bans.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:48 am 

That may be the problem somewhere Myrtle Beachcomber, but I do not believe that is even a photo of "North Myrtle Beach!" From what I have learned on this message board, many of you do not visit North Myrtle, so you only have what it looks like in Myrtle to go by. Perhaps during the weeks that surround the Fourth of July it could look like this in North Myrtle, but not all summer long. Just take a look at all the webcams. Avista, Cherry Grove Pier and Elliott Realty. You would have seen that it looks nothing like this. Maybe on the southern end, but surely not on the northern end that includes Cherry Grove, Ocean Drive and Crescent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:08 am 

This is in front of Apache campground in Horry county between Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach july 4, 2012 the year the tent law went into effect you can just see my yellow umbrella behind the life gaurd stand. The year before it was solid tents where that umbrella line is the life guard had to fight just to get her umbrellas up.
This would be the Shore Drive area.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:14 pm 
Forum Support

Perhaps Myrtle Beach needs a traffic lane on the beach? While people can't drive on the beach, it would leave a path for emergency vehicles.

I don't care one way or another, because when we do come it will be off season. But looking at the picture from Apache campground, it shows a bunch of empty beach behind the tents that is not being used. Everyone is just crowded in a clump.