Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:40 pm 

Well we decided that we needed a trip earlier then normal this year and picked memorial day weekend. Today i just read a long review about memorial day weekend being black bike week and to avoid Myrtle beach at all costs that weekend. we booked at the crown reef resort since they are remodeling got an excellent rate. now im just wondering is that week really a bad time to be at the beach? I can handle the traffic but im more worried about rowdiness and nonsense that goes along with the parties ive just read about? anyone ever go durning that week?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:46 pm 

OK I will preface this by saying everyone is different... Have been to both black biker week and Harley week. Literally NO comparison. We were totally unaffected by Harley week. This is a snippet from our trip report during black bike week...

"The week flew. We decided on Angelo's for our last night and we had never been. This is when the Atlantic Bike Weekend really effected us. We took the new highways almost all the way down and then crossed into MB. The bikes where everywhere. I am a Harley girl and I have no problem with bikes and bikers. Great folks, most of them. This was LOUD even for me. NonHarley bikes have a different "sound" and this one aspect got on our nerves by far. The people were all fine but traffic was out of control and they were just hanging out on every corner. We would definitely not go this week again. No offense it just wasn't for us...sorry."

Again just our opinion...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:22 am 

CoachC wrote:
Well we decided that we needed a trip earlier then normal this year and picked memorial day weekend. Today i just read a long review about memorial day weekend being black bike week and to avoid Myrtle beach at all costs that weekend. we booked at the crown reef resort since they are remodeling got an excellent rate. now im just wondering is that week really a bad time to be at the beach? I can handle the traffic but im more worried about rowdiness and nonsense that goes along with the parties ive just read about? anyone ever go durning that week?

I'd just recommend reading through all the discussions and posts in the link below - the "Bike Weeks" forum on this site. I've probably mentioned more than once that it's not only the bikes during the Memorial Day week event - but the about ten-fold number of OTHER vehicles and rowdy persons who have attached themselves to this event who create total traffic gridlock all over the area, loud music, widespread crowd congestion of the sidewalks and businesses, rude attitudes and vulgar conduct to non-event participants, commit extensive traffic violations, cause massive amounts of trash and illegally-parked vehicles, and there's practically no control over it all for various reasons (in stark contrast to the minimal effects of the Harley Rally)...

viewforum.php?f=91

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 am 
Site Admin

I thought I responded to this topic yesterday....but obviously I didn't. Hummmm....must have forgotten to hit the "submit" button. Anyhow, what I wanted to say:

If you are not able to change your reservation dates, just vacation on the south end. Since you're at Crown Reef, you are already on the south end of Myrtle Beach. Visit Myrtle Beach State Park, just around the corner and left on 17 Bus from you. Go to Murrells Inlet and enjoy the Marshwalk. Drive south, on down to Pawleys Island for a beautiful beach. Go to Brookgreen Gardens. If you have never been, it is well worth the entrance price. Plan to eat in Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach, or around The Market Common which is really close to Crown Reef. You can find many reviews here on the board for restaurants in those areas. You should not be impacted as much by the traffic.

When you go to Broadway at the Beach, Barefoot Landing, or any other activity on the main stretch the beach, plan to be there when it opens. Bikers like to sleep in because they stay all up way too late.

These suggestions will not entirely free you from the congestion of Black Biker Week, but they will help. We live on one of the streets just off The Market Common, and the plan above is the one we follow during that week, along with many other locals.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:30 am 

The Harley Rallies are fine. You will notice a lot of bikes and hear them occasionally, but that is about it. We never came during any back rally until last year we happened to come down during both of the Harley rallies. I can't hep when it comes to Atlantic bike week. I heard it is not necessarily pleasant.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:50 am 

I have vacationed during both spring bike rallies and have to admit that the Atlantic beach bike rally is quite annoying. The folks attending that particular rally are quite rude and go out of their way to be annoying. It's as if their sole purpose is to be obnoxious rather than enjoying the area for what it has to offer. As Patrish said, you should be fine on the south end at the crown reef. The bikers generally stay north of route 501.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:20 am 

Thanks everyone for the replies. After watching some "best of black bike week" videos and talking to more people. Nothing against bikers since i ride myself also but, we decided to move our trip back two weeks into june. We enjoy the southern area but theres also plenty of other areas we like such as lunch at ocean front bar and grill and 2nd ave pier. We're going to the beach to relax and have a nice time. Just better off changing dates then worrying. Plus on the bright side from what i understand crown reef will have the new water park open at that time! Again thank you

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:17 pm 

Good call pushing back a couple weeks. Emmy made a good point about the sounds... while Harley's are "rolling thunder", the high RPM whining created by dozens of "crotch rockets" grates on my nerves. The comments on the behaviors of the two groups are spot-on, imho.

Another thing to consider..... staying at a resort under construction. If you are an early riser and don't mind the sounds of power-tools this may be a deal (or if you rise early, leave the resort, then return after working hours). We stayed at a resort with work going and it was far from relaxing. There was debris and dust everywhere.... construction vehicles made it difficult to unload & park, elevator service was spotty, etc.... tons o' hassles.
:BandHead:

Last edited by KirkG on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:40 am 

I went once during Bike week (just the regular ones) and I wasn't a fan. I wouldn't do it again.

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Just came across this YouTube from 2013 Black Biker Week. (It gets progressively worse as it nears the end.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ypgm7D5LI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:56 pm 

Gee, thanks, Patrish. 29:11 I'll never get back in my life.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:52 am 

Wow...

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:39 am 

The dates are listed the 22nd-26th, but is there usually a carryover into the following days as well? We are looking to come down possibly on the 27th, but may change plans if the bikers generally hang around through the rest of the week.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

Myrtle Beach Spring Bike Week (Harley)
May 9 - May 18, 2014

Black Biker Week (Atlantic Beach)
May 23 - May 26, 2014

There is always some carry over. That's why the locals call May "Bike Month." But most of the bikers will be coming during the dates that are set up. I think the term "bike week" is misleading for both rallies.