Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baby it's cold outside!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:40 am 

No School! Still too cold...-5 here this morning...not the coldest, I am sure, but cold enough to make me miss August at the beach!!! Glad I do not need to venture out!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:08 pm 

I haven't been able to see across the road for two days, all hwys. up here closed with snow plows pulled off the road and it is still coming down. All schools closed in several counties. 13 days and we are out of here. Can't wait to head down to Myrtle Beach and see all the snow banks in the rear view mirror.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:29 pm 

We finally got back to positive numbers today. It's a 3° F but who's complaining. Spending a lot of time planning the vacation to MB this year. Haven't nailed down the exact week yet but know it will be some time in July.

Can't get here soon enough.

All but once on Shore Drive

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:57 pm 

Christine wrote:
I haven't been able to see across the road for two days, all hwys. up here closed with snow plows pulled off the road and it is still coming down. All schools closed in several counties. 13 days and we are out of here. Can't wait to head down to Myrtle Beach and see all the snow banks in the rear view mirror.

My wife says yesterday, "Let's skip this cold weather, I'm off all week, let's head back to Myrtle!" I looked at my phone, scrolled the locations and said, "ah.... it's saying 20° at Myrtle tomorrow..."

I guess the 20° would feel like summer weather compared to the -14° I woke up to this morning. I kept putting my hand in front of the vents in the car to make sure it was still blowing hot because by the time the air traveled 2 feet for me to feel on the face, it was cold.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:12 pm 

mrodgers wrote:
My wife says yesterday, "Let's skip this cold weather, I'm off all week, let's head back to Myrtle!" I looked at my phone, scrolled the locations and said, "ah.... it's saying 20° at Myrtle tomorrow..."

BUT...it will be in the 70's by this weekend in MB! http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/L ... 29568:4:US

I can just imagine how amazing that would feel. We are at 7 but with wind chill it's -1. Crazy crazy cold this year :sad: !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:50 pm 

It was -5 here in our part of Ohio and with the wind chill it was -21. So glad it's warming up the rest of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:12 pm 

I don't care how cold it is when we get down to Myrtle Beach we won't have to use the snowblower or scrape the windshield. This blizzard is supposed to continue until sometime tomorrow. This has been a wicked one!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:39 pm 
Forum Support

It was -17 here and -48 with wind chill. :(

Its gonna be 40 here Sunday. Man I hope it feels like 40. I sure need it! :beerchug:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Melissa, I'll bet you win 1st prize for the coldest weather.

As Emmy mentioned, it is supposed to warm up into the 70s this weekend, but it has been miserable for the last several days. I needed to go out today for a few items I needed for dinner, so I drove over to the Pig since it is the closest grocery store. Bundled up and looking like the Michelin Tire guy, l walked in and was greeted by the cashiers and other Pig personnel who were apparently enjoying themselves in spite of the lack of customers. I know most of them by sight, if not by name, because I stop by that Pig location often.

"Hey....did ja know it's 0 degrees in New Jersey? I'm working in Myrtle Beach and doin' a happy dance 'cause it's a warm 38 degrees here!"

"Aw...don't listen to that sissy. We moved here 3 years ago from upper New York where it's -4 degrees today."

And so on. I just had to laugh! And I thought again about what great community we have here. Even when it's bitter cold, I love Myrtle Beach!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:39 am 

a balmy 23 this morning...warm up this weekend...only in Ohio...we are still off school...bad roads still in our rural area...hope to get back with only a 2 hour delay tomorrow...at least the sun is shining!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:24 pm 

Ohiojo. Here in my neck of Ohio it's now 32. Wow!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:19 pm 

I'm actually enjoying it. Haven't worked a full week since before holidays......
With holidays falling in middle of week we were super slow Either customers were closed or not producing because of inventory. Given a choice to work or sit home.....I sat.

Snow day last week. Not bad here but bad enough in mountains they didn't run all the routes. Who wants to take a day off? Me,me, me.........

This week I worked Monday and it was a pain with stuff being frozen. First two hours I drove with seat all the way down on the floor because air lines were froze and wouldn't pump up. Drove around all gangsta' style barely seeing over the dash board. All I needed was some big speakers and loud bass....."Wasted away...BOOM BOOM.....in Marga....BOOM BOOM....rita...BOOM BOOM.....ville....BOOM BOOM...."

Freight from the north was already slowing to a trickle and it got worse on Tuesday. Still have stuff coming in from KY and out of Carolinas but not enough to keep everybody busy. Chicago and Detroit freight might be backed up for days.

We get to roll unused vacation time over to the next year. Through the years I've banked a bunch for "rainy days". I could sit home for a month and still have enough for beach trips......

Younger guys make comments that "real men" can drive in bad weather. When the older guys talk about mid '70s when the Kanawha and Ohio Rivers froze solid. They realize we were doing this before they were born and they shut up.

Do need to get back at it. Old guy is gettin' sore laying on the couch all day after seeing Ruann off to work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:49 pm 

I was pretty busy first part of Christmas break...setting up new classroom...so the cold weather has given me a chance to "do nothing" for a few dys I am kind of liking it! But I am sure we will be back at school tomorrow...

pop...glad you got some days to relax...riding the roads in nasty weather is not my idea of "good times."

...not sure how much it warmed up...it was so windy...it still felt really cold when I checked the mail...brrr...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:36 pm 

pop2748 wrote:
Drove around all gangsta' style barely seeing over the dash board. All I needed was some big speakers and loud bass....."Wasted away...BOOM BOOM.....in Marga....BOOM BOOM....rita...BOOM BOOM.....ville....BOOM BOOM...."

Pretty sure I've never seen anyone driving around gangsta' style listening to that, LOL. :hysterical: Is there even anything to go BOOM in that song?