Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lola's Hwy 501 MB
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:44 pm 

A Southern Country Style Cooking restaurant, opened in 2012, recently got a 73 for DEHC inspection and the follow-up one was 93, if I remember they had a 70 back in the Spring.

Guess who's not going there :)

Gary

Post subject: Lola's Hwy 501 MB
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:07 pm 

Thank you. Guess who else isn't going there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Lola's Hwy 501 MB
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:10 am 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Qu├ębec
We ain't touchin' that one with a 10 foot pole! :oops:
If we have some time to spare, we might stand outdoors waiting for Robert Irvine, the host of Restaurant Impossible. :twisted:

Last edited by ChantalAtTheBeach on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:35 am 
Site Admin

I never heard of this restaurant (which really doesn't mean a thing) but I think the DEHC inspections probably help weed out a lot of undesirable dining locations.

It would be interesting to know if anyone keeps a record of how many restaurants closed their doors after receiving more than 1 citation.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:46 pm 

From what I can make out, it appears they're in the former location of the Myrtle Beach RonJon's (who moved across the waterway a couple years ago, expanding their size and other options).

RonJons formerly specializes in mostly delivery, with some eat-in - and, according to Lola's online information, Lola's has a very similar setup (just one dining-in table) and menu to when RonJon's was there. Most likely, Lola's is just copying the prior RonJons at that location but with an added soul food touch.

I just checked: Lola's website is inoperable, displaying "Site Down For Hosting Renewal". I phoned them and they are still open, however. Interestingly, they didn't answer at first. Shortly after I hung up, they returned my call but the caller ID showed "Angel's Wings" - which is the name actually displayed on their building. He stated they're open noon to midnight, etc...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:46 pm 

Mike, there is no affiliation between the RonJon's across the waterway and the one that was a sub shop where Lola/s is now. The people who now own the RonJon's Bar across the waterway use to own Cheer's on 707. By the way Ron Jon's has had many bad scores in the last few years.

As for DHEC, I have said it before, they need to re-evaluate how they issue inspection stickers, there is no incentive to keep your place clean and food safe, due to the fact the bad grade inspection is only on your front door until you are re-inspected (no more than 10 days) at which time they give you a new sticker, so days with a bad listing, where it should be for a minimum of 3 months.

And remember the re-inspection is only on things that failed, so it's a no brainer that everyone usually has an A on their front door.

So to answer your question Patrish, none :)

Gary

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:44 pm 

I hate to disagree, but the current RonJon's does have a history - but no CURRENT affiliation - back to the other location that had both RonJon Surf Shop Company licensing agreements and partnerships.

I should have worded it differently as far as "moving" to the current location, as both were open at the same time for a while. The former location did close afterward; the current RonJon Beer and Burgers just had so many more features and options for customers, the old location had increased delivery (especially late-night) competition, and much of their late-night regular shift-worker business took a nose-dive with economic and businesses' workplace staff reductions.

The current RonJon's Beer and Burgers did indeed go through ownership and management changes, and no longer delivers, but the copyrighted name and up-until-recent logo are from the RonJon's Surf Shop Company, and using the 1993 date of the former RonJon's location in Myrtle Beach. In fact, the current RonJon's Beer and Burgers used that logo and date until just recently on their official website (and still did on their menus, last I knew) - and is under the same licensing agreement as the former site of Ron Jon's in Myrtle Beach, but no longer under a franchise nor partnership umbrella of the company.

Regardless, RonJon's DHEC scores and customer comments have had a less-than-desirable history...and it appears Lola's is going down the same path, if they stay in business.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:54 pm 

Hi Mike, you can check with Ron Jon's Corporate, they never had a licensing agreement with any restaurant or outside business around here. (Heather Lewis is the Corp. Marketing Director)

The sub shop had and used the name Ron Jon's before the Ron Jon's Surf Shops were in our area, and being that was the case, and the name "Ron Jon's" had not been registered in SC as a trademark, the court ruled the sub shop was allowed to continue the use of the name and then when they opened the larger place it was allowed to follow them.

It's like the case of the Holiday Inn around 13th N on the Blvd., Holiday Inn Corp took them to court and said they were infringing upon their name and reputation, the courts turned them down, as this property had been here using the name previous to "Holiday Inn" registering the name in SC.

They still get business due to people thinking that they are making reservations with a "Holiday Inn" until they check in and find out otherwise.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:05 am 

The original RonJon's food location was listed on the RonJon's corporate website under "Partnerships" for some time, as was another former one in (I believe) Florida - but it wasn't the current RonJon's Grill at the Cape. You could click on which one you wanted - it had links for both - for either location's details, hours, menu, etc. The Myrtle Beach one was dropped from their site some time prior to the current shop opening several years ago, however. It was part of an agreement that also allowed the former Myrtle Beach RonJon's to keep keep and use a very close image of the RonJon's LOGO that goes back to the RonJon Surf Shop's beginning in the late 1950s or early 60s. This is information I saw myself when using the former links from their website in the past, and from the former owners of the old RonJon's. Personally, I believe the corporate folks just don't want any type of association or even thought of the past nor current Myrtle Beach RonJon's food businesses...

Overall, both of our posts about RonJons should just be deleted - the discussion is about "Lola's" (and/or whatever other names they're using for that business :lol: ) , which just happens to physically be in the former location of the former RonJon's Delivery. I'll be deleting mine in a few hours regardless...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:30 am 

Fight nice, boys. Cheers!

PS: interesting read regardless...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:04 am 

Well Mike, it seems you recall this vividly, so I will concede that at one time there may have been an agreement.

The information I stated is what I was told was by Corp when I called upon them to be a part of my fundraising program. They said the never had any agreement and tried to have them stop using the name.

It only matters today, for the knowledge that people should not always take things for granted, things are not always what they seem :)

I see no reason delete your posts, and Phroggy, we always play nice here at the beach and on this board :)

Gary