Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:55 pm 

From 95S, it has been suggested we take Rte 9 to Rte. 31 to Rte. 22 to Rte. 17 on our way to North Myrtle Beach. Where off 95 do we pick up Rte. 9; what are these roads like to travel; and, finally, is it confusing (we're headed to Barefoot Resort FOR THE WINTER (we had snow today on Cape Cod).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Turn off I-95 onto 501 at South of the Border. (This will give you a tour through South of the Boarder!) Then follow 501 to downtown Dillon and Hwy. 9. Follow 9 to Little River to Hwy. 31. Highway 9 has a lot of 2 lanes at the beginning of the route.

Wally prefers getting off 95 at SC 38 which becomes 501. Then follow 501 to Hwy. 22 which will take you right to BF Resort.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:05 am 

Here's an alternate route which will get you off the madness of I-95 sooner... it seems convoluted, but I find it cuts 30-45 mins off our trip. Check it out on Mapquest.

South on I-95, take North Carolina exit 119A which is Rte 264 East. Follow ~4 miles to Wilson and then exit onto Rte 117/795 towards Goldsboro. Continue ~40 miles past Goldsboro & Mt Olive to I-40 Connector/I-40. Follow to I-40. (there are a few lights in Goldsboro, but mostly this is 55mph+)

Take I-40 ~60 miles to Exit 416 (I-140). Follow I-140 ~7 miles until it ends at Route 321 (big signs to Myrtle Beach). Follow Route 321 ~5 miles past the Battleship and onto Route 17 South. Stay on Rte17 South ~50 miles to Myrtle Beach.

Just North of Calabash, NC but after town of Thomasboro (just past entrance to Brunswick Plantation Golf), take Right onto Rt 57 (Hickman Rd). Follow ~5 miles to stoplight at Rte 9

Take Left on Rte 9 South/East.

Depending on where you are staying in N Myrtle Beach, staying on Rte 9 may be best... otherwise Rte 31S is about a half mile down Rte 9.

Enjoy !

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:53 am 

Hey, guys, thanks for the information. KirkG, your route does indeed sound a bit confusing, but since we're really in no hurry, I'm not sure we're up for it.

Patrish, I like the idea of 38/501 then picking up Rte. 22 to Barefoot Resort. We've always come into MB using 501 and have not really ever had a problem with traffic.

Looking forward to heading south as we had snow on Cape Cod yesterday, and today it's in the low 30s.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:13 pm 

As an alternative to what Wally likes, I get off at South of the Border and follow 501 and for Barefoot as said, take Hwy 22 after Aynor and it takes you to Business 17 you head north 2 miles and Barefoot is on your left, take the last entrance, which will take you to the bridge into the resort/

I go thru SOB as I have found it takes the same time as Wallys' way, yet is about 15 miles shorter.

I have lived in Dennisport and Falmouth, I miss the Cape but would not live there after being here for so long.

We also had "snow" Tuesday night, I was in the hot-tub while it was coming down, no accumulation nor sticking.

jgf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:37 pm 

:sad: Oh, no, to the "snow" in MB. Our first winter in MB, they had 3.5 inches of snow (gone by afternoon) but the weather and newsies were going beserk.

Last time we were there (2 years ago), it was only about 5 degrees warmer, on average, than the Cape (the Cape had no snow that winter).

Pray for lots of New England snow and lots of warmth and sunshine for NMB. Thanks for your response. Is there an actual exit for South of the Border?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:17 pm 

Yes there is a South of the Border exit :)

When you take this exit you will go through the towns of Dillon and Latta, just 3 red lights in total, no traffic, obey the speed limit.

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:25 pm 

Thank you very much. We leave Saturday, can't wait.

How long have you lived in Myrtle Beach? Did you move from Cape Cod directly to MB? How do you find the medical care? That's my only concern, especially with the current chaos in the insurance industry (we're both on Medicare and supplemental from Raython (where we both worked)).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:39 pm 

I went from the Cape back to Providence for a 6 month layover, then to NJ. Then came here in 79. I spent all my summers and weekends off season in Dennisport growing up, if you know Falmouth and being on Medicare/caid your of the age you may remember, the Paraphernalia shop, next to the Hunt Club, on the Green and also another shop out on the Vinyard, that was my grandmothers and her friends'.

Do y'all do any golfing?

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:16 pm 

Yes, to the golfing, both my husand and I like to golf. Previous years, we played mostly at Tupelo Bay. Marc (husband) has played Wicked Stick, Fazio course, both Myrtlewood courses, and Pine Lakes.

I've only lived on the Cape since 1994 so the places you mentioned weren't familiar to me.

We're on Medicare and that's the worrisome part of moving. So many doctors are not taking new Medicare patients and some doctors are cutting loose their current Medicare patients. It's hard to find out what the medical climate is in another state/city. If all we can do is come to MB for the winter, we'll struggle through with that. We're especially looking forward to staying at Barefoot Resort as we've always stayed in Surfside @ Tupelo Bay.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:46 pm 

Sorry I did not mention medical care, it is very good here, heck Grand Strand Hospital is one of the only in the US that has some kind of staph infection approved certificate. They are also known for their Cardiac care.

I'm don;t qualify for Govt assisted programs yet, I'm 61., so soon.
Others on this board who live should be able to advise you on that subject.

The reason I asked about golf, to save a lot of money get the Discount Card that the Humane Society of North Myrtle Beach offers, 36 or so courses including Tupelo Bay which is buy one get one free and their sister course in Little River, Harbour View has the same offer, these are both Executive and Par 3 courses. Lots of restaurants, attractions and things to do included.

Y'all have a great stay

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:56 pm 

Thanks for the tip about the Humane Discount card; I'll surely look into it. Also, thanks for the information re: medical care, I'm sure we'll be checking it all out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:23 am 

For what it's worth, this route that Kirk suggested is HIGHLY recommended by me. It sounds confusing (all the numbers and such), but it really isn't. The signs at each interstate exchange tell you exactly what you need to do. If you have a drivers license - and can read - this is by far the shortest, fastest, and much more enjoyable (less crowded) way to go to MB, especially to NMB.

I know this is way later than the original poster was concerned with, but for those that read this later, take this route!...

KirkG wrote:
Here's an alternate route which will get you off the madness of I-95 sooner... it seems convoluted, but I find it cuts 30-45 mins off our trip. Check it out on Mapquest.

South on I-95, take North Carolina exit 119A which is Rte 264 East. Follow ~4 miles to Wilson and then exit onto Rte 117/795 towards Goldsboro. Continue ~40 miles past Goldsboro & Mt Olive to I-40 Connector/I-40. Follow to I-40. (there are a few lights in Goldsboro, but mostly this is 55mph+)

Take I-40 ~60 miles to Exit 416 (I-140). Follow I-140 ~7 miles until it ends at Route 321 (big signs to Myrtle Beach). Follow Route 321 ~5 miles past the Battleship and onto Route 17 South. Stay on Rte17 South ~50 miles to Myrtle Beach.

Just North of Calabash, NC but after town of Thomasboro (just past entrance to Brunswick Plantation Golf), take Right onto Rt 57 (Hickman Rd). Follow ~5 miles to stoplight at Rte 9

Take Left on Rte 9 South/East.

Depending on where you are staying in N Myrtle Beach, staying on Rte 9 may be best... otherwise Rte 31S is about a half mile down Rte 9.

Enjoy !

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort
2014 Hampton Inn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:48 pm 

It's funny Rick.... when someone first referred me to this route, their directions were very sparse and simpler to understand ;) Each time I traveled it, I documented a little more, then a little more, then a little more... now it seems pretty complicated even to me reading my only comments a few months later ! I can do this route in my sleep.....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:47 pm 

I'm pretty sure you got that from me Kirk. I remember trying the route out years ago and then writing about it here someplace, but I can't find that original post anywhere. But I did find this one, where you and I discussed the Hickman Road short cut that I stumbled upon:

http://www.funbeaches.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8040

1993 Beach Cove
2001 Compass Cove
2002 Coral Beach
2003 Sand Dunes
2004 Long Bay
2005 Long Bay
2007 Ocean Reef
2008 Long Bay
2009 Island Vista
2010 Island Vista
2012 Paradise Resort