Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:04 pm 

Im a bad, bad, BAD man. I apologize for taking 7+ weeks to get back on and post my report.
Emmy hadnt't seen me on here in awhile,and being the sweetheart she is,checked on me. Happily,everything other than work (where I do my posting) is fine.Actually work is HELL right now.We are in the middle of exploring a merger, we are HEAVILY streamlining,and its been miserable around here.But on to more fun things,like my report.I will do my very best being I cant find my notes :oops: .

This year we decided to try Beach Cove along with Sea Watch,where we've been for the last 3 years.The WE in this trip is my wife Patti,son Jordan (turning 17yrs old on this trip),and my 16 year old nephew,Jonah.

We left on Wednesday as we decided to cut the trip in half,and spend the night in Winchester VA ,at the Hilton Garden Inn.
Patti had the day off,and the boys loaded the car as I had to work til 3,after going to have a crown put in at the dentist.Lucky me :nanner: .
It was a beautiful day for a drive and it was smooth sailing and great traffic. We arrived in Winchester in about 6 1/2 hours.Everything was great except my tooth was killing me .It turns out that the temporary crown was in crooked at it would be 6 weeks until the permanent was put in :shock: .I didnt sleep alot on this vacation because it hurt more when I was laying down,but I dealt with it.
KFC for dinner and off to bed.(Normally I dont eat at chain restaurants while on vacation,but it was the only place open and the mashed taters were good for the tooth).

Thursday we were up and on the road by 7ish.Bagels in the car for breakfast and smoooooth sailing.
We got into South Carolina and stopped at Sparkys on 501(tradition),about 45 mins from M.B. Jonah just kept wandering around and looking.He thought we had arrived at Myrtle Beach.He was REALLY excited when we got there and saw everything there was to see at the beach.
Checked in around 2 and it was raining :BandHead: .Oh well,it doesnt do that too often. So we decided to check out Beach Cove and see how we liked it.
I really liked the layout of the room. You walk in and the bathroom is on the left and right next to,it the bedroom. Then theres a long hallway that goes to the living room which has a couple steps down to get to it.In the living room is a kitchenette.
The cool thing about the bedroom is there are shudder windows that open,overlooking the livingroom and balcony (ocean).
I did NOT like the pools,cabana etc. Everything seemed cramped.However the landscaping was very tropical and nice,as well as the beach being nice and clean.
After walking around the resort for a bit,we decided to dry off from the rain and go to dinner.We ate at the chinese buffet next to the giant crab. I cant rememer the name.Actually,that may have BEEN the name lol.
Good selection,good price,and nice way to start the vacation.
It WAS hard to eat because the tenderness of the crown but I managed,as I did the whole vacation.No fake tooth gonna ruin my time :mad: .
We went to Kroegers for snacks and drinks and back to the hotel.Patti wanted to watch a little tv.Being the rain had stopped the boys and I went to the beach with the football.
After about 45 mins of just hanging out and tossing the ball,it started to rain again.Inside to the arcade for about an hour.The arcasde is massive.They have a food counter and tables in there.Very nice.
Upstairs for a snack,a little tv,and off to bed at around 12.30.

more to come.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:57 pm 

This is the slow time of year on here and I was actually wondering about your report the other day. Actually glad it's kind of late, because late season reports are always great. I always enjoy your reports and thought I may just had missed it. Glad you finally got around to it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:57 pm 

Glad you are back :nanner:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:02 am 

Thanks so much for posting! You are the man!! Sounds like the vaca is off to a great start...except for the tooth!

RonPxRonp wrote:
It turns out that the temporary crown was in crooked at it would be 6 weeks until the permanent was put in :shock: .I didnt sleep alot on this vacation because it hurt more when I was laying down,but I dealt with it.

Same thing happened to me when they put a white filling in my tooth. The pain would wake me up at night, so much worse than the day. The dentist said it had something to do with extra blood flow to the head while you sleep laying down. Prop the head or sleep in a recliner...a little late me sharing that info with you now though :wink: :wink:

Can't wait to read more :cheerleader: !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:21 am 

Emmy,I did realize it helped (raising my head) but I would keep sliding down the bed to where my head was flat lol

So we wake up refreshed and ready to roll Friday morning. RAINING :cry: However,we were in paradise so that wouldnt stop us.
Jordan decided that he wanted Jonah to see some of the shops and attractions etc,so we just decided to drive around and show Jonah the lay of the land.
After awhile it was lunch time so we hit up Cheesburger in Paradisde.Good filler meal as the rain started to ease up.
Back to the hotel for a bit.Patti decided to sit on the couch with the balcony door open,and read.Down to the beach the boys and I go.
NOWWWW,this is where we get stupid.As we are standing on the beach,Jordan and I are pointing to where Sea Watch is,and explaining to Jonah that thats where we'll be tomorrow.Well, as we are explaining,we decide to walk down there to see the bartender Jessie,who we've gotten close to over the years.
We stopped in to see Jessie and have a cold drink.The boys walked around as Jessie and I chatted.
After they get back to the cabana we decide to walk to Apache Pier and watch the people fish,so off we go.
We get to the pier and we cant get on because we had no shoes on :shock: .We had walked all that way with no shoes :BandHead:
Soooo,back we go,tossing the football,and the boys looking at the girls.
Now it downpours to the point that you cant see 5 hotels in front of you.Nobodys out but us.Feet are getting cut up and we're getting cut up from the lining of our board shorts :roll: .
FINALLY we get close to our hotel.I believe we are by Ocean Creek but the tide is rushing in,basically foming a river from the ocean into the lagoon of the hotel.
We try to cross and the current is pushing us off balance as the water is chest high,and our feet are getting chewed up on the rocks.
Finally we find a spot thats rib high,but as we cross we hear a fisherman yell to us that they caught a 4 1/2 foot shark at the mouth of the high tide river/ocean/lagoon,yesterday. Just as he says it we see little fish jumping about 20 ft away,a sign of a big fish trying to get them.
Now mind you,our feet are literally bleeding into the water,so out we fly,QUICKLY.
After about 30-45 mins looking for a spot to cross we found a spot close to Ocean Creek.It was about waist high and calm.But thinking about the shark we basically ran through the water,tearing up our feet,ankles,and shins even more.
A few minutes later we are back at the hotel,battered and sore.We decide to dive into the pool to warm up,as the rain/wind/and air was rather cool the first couple of days.Of course we get yelled at by security because apparently the pol was closed due to lightning.Hey guys,Im 44 yrs old.How about just talking to me like a man.
After I relayed that message to the security guArds in a rather "monotone" manner,we headed up to the room.
Long story short of that "stroll"...it was anywhere from 5-8 miles roundtrip(depending who you ask)barefoot.So our feet and "man areas" from our board shorts linings, made us rather uncomfortable for the next couple days.But it was a "story" and it was funny,so we dealt with it.
After a shower and a little hanging out, it was off to El Carro Grande for Mexican.Our favorite Mexican place in M.B. :nanner:
After dinner it was off to a little shopping at the surf shops.Jonah had a blast.He had never been to the ocean or anyplace like M.B.before.
Final stop of the night was Overtime Cafe for the Buffalo Bills preseason game.I cant really remember who won.I think the Bills did.It was a great time just relaxing and being with each other.
Back to the hotel.Patti does the tv thing and the boys and I hit the beach to just relax and play our music.
Bed around 1am

more to come

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:49 am 

sounds like a painful :mad: and eventful start to your vacation! Too bad the weather wasn't better (we had rain almost every day when we were there so we feel for you!). Looking forward to reading more from you - I always enjoy your posts.

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:07 pm 

OMG That is the livliest Myrtle Beach tale yet! Your son and nephew will always remember this trip. Scary! Obviously I am truly enjoying the read. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:49 pm 

I feel ya on the board shorts pain. Been there. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:21 pm 

:lol: :lol:

Ok that was a funny story.

That is the same swash of water that me and my future daughter in law cut our feet up in back in July. Had I had any idea there could have possibly been a shark in that water my big toe would have not been in it. Why in the world I didn't think a shark could be there is pretty stupid :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:19 pm 

OUCH!!! ...but you are right great story to pass down through the generations...I really loved reading it...almost on the edge of my seat!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:38 am 

Im glad you are all enjoying the trip.Overall Id rate Beach Cove a 7 out of 10. The pools etc Id rate a 6,just because everything seems so cramped.The rooms an 8.Spacious and great layout.

Saturday morning we packed up everything for our move over to Sea Watch.This will be our 4th year there,and we rent directly from the owners.
We are in the north tower on the 3rd floor.1 bedroom with an extra large oceanfront balcony.Bedroom is large while the living room is rather tight.However its ok.How much time do you really spend inside?
The sofa folds out into a queen bed that Jonah and Jordan shared,which is pretty funny considering Jordan is almost 6ft and Jonah is 6'5" :hysterical:
Anyway,we packed and headed over to Sea Watch around 11am.We have the code to the door (no key) and the room was ready!!! Awesome.
We unpacked the car,unpacked the suitcases and got settled.
Off to Kroegers for food,drink,and snacks for the week.
Usually on Saturdays we pretty much hang around the resort to avoid the in and out traffic.And we did so again this year.
We just hung out at the pools and beach for the remainder of the day,relaxing,and fooling around.
For dinner we grabbed Steak and Shake across from the Super Walmart, by Tanger Outlet.Nothing special,but we were just looking for easy.
Wandered around Super Walmart and got a few $5 dvd's for the boys.They were horror movies,which Patti wont watch,especially after I made her watch Blair Witch :cool: .
After one of the movies it was off to the beach for night football,music,and a few beers. Night time on the beach is my absolute favorite time.To me,it doesnt get any better.
On the way up the boys and I hit the gameroom,as usual.A little tv and off to bed around 12.30.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:05 am 

So let me start by clarifying that it rained Thursday and Friday,and with the exception of a few drops here and there,it was sunny and beautiful our entire stay.Mid to high 80's,maybe a couple low 90's,and low humidity,which was a change.

Sunday was a relaxing kinda day.Patti,as always,got up early for a morning walk,as the boys and I slept in.
She was back in the condo about 9.30,and I believe we we're down at the pools and beach at about 10.30.
As some of you already know,Patti prefers the pools,I prefer the beach,and poor Jordan gets stuck running between,to keep both of us happy.Such a good kid :lol: . However,Jonah prefers the beach too,so I had somebody to hang out with.
Basically for most of the day,Patti tried her best to turn into beef jerkey (other than the cottage,its the only time she is ever really in the sun,so I GUESS its ok :dontknow: ),Jonah and I wandered around the beach,and when Jordan joined us,played in the waves.
At around 2pm Patti decided to head up to shower and DA GUYS,hung out on the beach to give her some quite time. We followed up about 45 mins earlier and showered.
Clean and refreshed we decided to show Jonah Barefoot Landing.
Now let me explain something,other than school trips ,the poor kid has never really experienced too much in life.And even though his parents are really good people and are financially good,they are more into the simple things in life,like camping etc. Now mind you,there is nothing wrong with that,at all,but it seems Patti and I have showed Jonah and His brother Josh (came with us last year),alot of their "firsts".Things like their first pro baseball game,first pro soccer game,first wrestling show (goot see uncle Ron :cool: ),and of course,their first trip to Myrtle Beach,and it has been a great honor to show them these things. The reason I said all this was Jonahs expressions on this trip.Alot of the things he saw and experienced were mind blowng to him,like Bafoot Landing.
Now mind you,we are in a city that when you include the suburbs,there is well over a million people,so we're not exactly Amish,but Jonah had never seen anything like Barefoot Landing,with all the shops being like a little town,built on a lake,with the bridge crossing.He just loved the whole thing,and of course it made everything fresh for us!!!
So,we walked around,ducking in an out of shops,making small purchases,when we realized it was starting to get dark.We had been there 3 1/2 hours!!! The boys wanted to stay,but Patti and I were getting humgry,and we hit up Sonic on the way back to the condo. side note...cant do Sonic anymore,they just opened up 2 in Rochester.
Back to the condo where,you guessed it,Patti sat on the couch with the balcony door and read/watched tvas the boys and I went to the beach to walk around.
As Jordan,Jonah,and I were on the beach, the moon was high in the sky and a bright off-yellow,bouncing off the water.The breeze was a warm tropical blanket,and it was the ending to a perfect day. After about an hour we headed up,stopping at the game room,of course lol.
Off to bed around midnight.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:42 pm 

Such a great trip so far !! Loving it!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:19 am 

I'm loving this! So cute about Jonah's expressions. I love watching my kids (and nieces and nephews) get excited - totally worth it. We too are "that aunt and uncle" to them.

Sounds like that day was exceptionally great!

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:47 am 

Great report. Glad you were able to bring your nephew along. The educational and social benefits for travel and exposure to new surroundings is irreplaceable. My kids school is very good about excusing kids from school to let them travel and experience new things, i just wished my job and wallet allowed me to travel more. Nothing like a road trip.