Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:28 am 

Just made Tee Times for our August vacation for my 17 year old son and myself. Playing River Oaks, and made our reservations through http://www.MyrtleBeachGolf.com and paid $66 total for the both of us! We can't play at home for that cheap! I know River Oaks isn't considered one of the better courses on the Grand Strand, but again, it's better than anything we have back home that we can afford. Looking for any advice/ info from anyone who has played River Oaks.

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:07 pm 

River Oaks is a 27 hole layout, it is not one of the premier courses courses but I like it, it is open in areas, it is tight elsewhere and water will be found. There is no housing like many of the courses here and I do enjoy that fact. A couple of the holes run along the Waterway, you will enjoy this course.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:44 pm 

Perhaps my favorite on my golf trip a few years ago.Not one of the highest rated but you also don't have 200 golf carts lined up at the morning & afternoon tee times.We ended up playing 27 holes because it was so uncrowded.Very relaxing golf outing.Not sure which is worse,slow golfers in front or a group up your butt & nowhere to go forward.We basically had the place to ourselves. It was in good shape & perfect for hackers like me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:53 pm 

I always enjoy playing River Oaks, the Fox has had quite a lot of work carried out on it in the past couple of years ago and the Bear and the Otter are good layouts. This time I played the Bear and Otter, quite a lot of water around which makes you think about your shots. The final hole on the Otter is a par 5 which I just don't know how to play sand and water to the right, and a big tree that obstructs the shot into the green, I am happy with a double bogey on this hole.
Peter (Happy Hacker)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:41 am 

I just realized that I never followed-up with a report on River Oaks from our trip last August. A.J. and I had early tee times (8:00 am), and were the first to arrive at the course. We made our annual pilgrimage to Krispy Kreme for hot, fresh doughnuts as the sun came up. We didn't meet any traffic, so we got to River Oaks early. We were paired with a retired Coca Cola plant manager from Atlanta named Ken. Ken was a pleasure to play golf with, and was a much better golfer than me or A.J.

As noted, there are three 9 hole courses. Our front nine was played on the Otter Course, which was my favorite layout. Plenty of water and sand, which is typical of beach courses. Beautiful fairways and greens, too. Being the first group out, we played very quickly and were done in about 1 hour. Our back 9 was played on the Fox Course. I did not like that layout as much as the Otter. Several other groups were on that course and we were delayed on every hole. It took about 2 1/2 hours to play the back 9, and it started to rain on the last 4 holes, so those negatives may cloud my opinion of the Fox. It was nice, but I liked the Otter better.

I really enjoyed playing this course, and felt that $33 each was a very reasonable rate. The pro shop was nice, and the clubhouse has a very nice back porch with rocking chairs that is shaded by trees. If it wasn't raining when we finished, I would have liked to have had lunch and a drink on that back porch.

The only thing I didn't like about the course was crossing the highway. The clubhouse and Otter course are on one side of the road and the Fox and Bear courses are on the other side of the road. They have a couple of VERY steep bridges over the road, and honestly it scared me to drive down off of the bridges, especially coming back to the clubhouse because there was also a sharp turn at the bottom of the ramp. If you've played there, I'm sure you'll agree with me about the epic travel over the bridges! If you haven't played there, please don't let the bridges be a deterrent, but be cautious driving up and down them.

Looking forward to August 2013, where we'll try another course that we haven't yet played.

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:56 am 
Site Admin

Scott, thanks so much for adding your review! I'm sure it will be helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:26 pm 

Played River Oaks last week using the Myrtle Beach Golf Passport, their special price was just $25. I have said previously that it is a good layout but needs a bit of care to improve its condition. Enjoyed the round very good value for the price paid.
Happy Hacker (Peter)

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:26 am 

I like the River Oaks layout but on this occasion their booking system seemed to have gone wrong or the groups up front were very slow, took 40 minutes to play the first two holes, three groups waiting on the third tee. Well over 5 hours for the round, beverage cart came round several times but no sign of a course manager to keep things moving. Not the best of courses but for $30 good value if they can keep things moving.