Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diamond Back
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:14 pm 

Since I'll be playing golf alone this year, I made a tee time for August 6th at Diamond Back Golf Course. I played there many years ago (when it was newer) on a winter golf trip. I don't remember much about it, but I'll be sure to post a report when I get back. I got an incredible deal from the Sun News Newspaper for $25 for a morning tee time. I can't play on a bad public course back home for that cheap, so I'm thrilled! If anyone else is playing golf in July or August at the beach, you should check out these coupons: http://findnsave.thesunnews.com/Local-Ads/a-486534/Great-Golf-Savings/31378733

Scott

Post subject: Re: Diamond Back
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:04 pm 

Great - thanks for the link and look forward to your course review :nanner:

I've booked a "single" many times in MB and always paired with fun people.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:52 pm 

The official name of the course is "Diamond Back at Woodland Valley Country Club." The course is near Loris, SC and is about a 30 minute drive from Myrtle Beach (without traffic). The road to the golf course isn't very well marked and you can only see 1 hole from Rt 9. http://diamondbackcourse.com/

I must say that the course is beautiful and was in great shape when I played. The clubhouse is nice, bright, and clean, and they have the usual food and drinks that you'd expect at a golf course (beer and hot dogs!). They have a small driving range next to the putting green, which is beside the bag drop.

I played the white tees, which have a 71.4 rating and a 129 slope at 6390 yards. It's not a long course, but very narrow. I was paired with a Father and Son from Greensboro who play golf often on the Grand Strand, and were at Diamond Back for the second time that week. They told me that the original plan for the course was to include a community of homes. However, only a few homes were ever built (I think I saw 2 or 3) because it is so far out from the beach, and because the course got a bad reputation when it was first built due to snakes. That may or may not be true, given the name of the course. But we were warned by the starter to not pursue any balls hit out of bounds.

The par 5's were not really long, and the par 3's weren't too short. But the course is narrow and challenging, and there are several holes where the landing area contained water, trees, or bunkers. We had to lay up on a few holes. The course is completely flat, but the greens do have some elevation changes. A good bit of water on the course, but more up by the greens rather than by the tees. There are a couple of tees where you have to carry a distance due to marsh-type of water hazards with tall grass, but no big lakes to tee off over.

All-in-all, an excellent course for the price. I'd play there again.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:50 pm 

Just curious - are snakes a big problem regarding golf courses there, and if so, how big have you seen them. I've never seen one on a course down there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:34 pm 

I've never seen a snake on the land at any course at Myrtle Beach (and I've probably played 25-30 of them). I have seen a few in the water, but I've also seen gators in the ponds. Neither came near me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:26 pm 

My husband Doug plays golf everyday while we are in MB and he has seen snakes on numerous occasions. I am certain he didn't hang around to see what kind they were :lol:

Also, while I was doing my morning walk a few years ago I was walking the street side in Windy Hill. As I crossed the marsh bridge I looked down to a snake slithering across. It wasn't big, but it was a snake.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:04 pm 

Thanks for the great course review.... love narrow fairways.... NOT !

I've been warned about snakes, but never seen any myself... and I'm the type who needs to search for my balls :lol: Seen gators also, but fortunately never had any up-and-close time with them (except for the time I fell off a jet-ski in Florida... but that's a story for another thread).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:09 pm 

I’ve played Diamondback Golf Course before (see my review from 2013 above). I had tee times for another course, but found out that I could play Diamondback for free because of the affiliation with our hotel.

It’s a long drive out to the course (about 30 minutes from where we stayed). I had the earliest tee time and surprisingly they let me out first to play by myself. It wasn’t crowded because it was a very hot summer day, they had aerated the greens a couple of weeks ago, and… because they had a “cart paths only” rule that day because they fertilized the entire course.

Despite that, I really enjoyed my round. The course is unique in Myrtle Beach in that no two holes are beside each other. And you only see one or two houses in a certain part of the course. In most areas, it is very secluded with trees on both sides and water hazards everywhere (both lakes and marsh areas).

Some of the tees and fairways are very tight. Playing by myself this time with nobody in front of me and nobody behind me gave me an opportunity to pause to look at the course. It was odd not to see another human being after the first hole… but I made it feel like I owned the dang place, so I had fun.

It was challenging, and for all that I mentioned above it was in really good condition. If offered to play here again for free (or a reduced rate), I’d certainly do it.
They aren't joking...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:10 pm 

How did I miss this course?

Husband being from Phoenix, you would think by now I would have heard about Diamond Back.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:19 pm 

Next time in Myrtle Beach, pick up the local newspaper. There are ALWAYS deals for Diamondback. A couple of years ago they had a special for $20 per person, plus a free lunch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:30 am 

I took my clubs but decided not to use them and just spend it with the family in the campground last week. Each morning I grabbed a paper and looked it over to see about specials just in case there was one I couldnt pass up. Unfortunately the advertisements seemed awfully limited compared to the past.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:46 am 

1inStripes wrote:
I took my clubs but decided not to use them and just spend it with the family in the campground last week. Each morning I grabbed a paper and looked it over to see about specials just in case there was one I couldnt pass up. Unfortunately the advertisements seemed awfully limited compared to the past.

I hadn't even thought about it , but we didn't even buy a paper this year. I guess times really are changing with this internet thing. I dont play at the beach anymore but I do like to look at the deals. I remember years ago when I played wild wing with a pretty good enjoy the city coupon. Basically made it about $25 to play. We were practically the only group on the course and the guy behind the counter was complaining about the coupons discounted rate. Said something to the effect that it was a break even for them to allow us to play at this cost. ( Guess he is calculating chemicals due to extra wear and tear). He came off kind of angry about it. Golf is in a bad spot right now. They built big elaborate courses and most people can't afford the cost.

Golf should of been three holes less, half the amount of bunkers , no more than 6400 yards, and walkable. Courses are having to take care of too much acreage because they tried to fit extra homes on the holes. The game became too hard, too long and too much upkeep. Too much room between tees on these 1990s courses makes it unable to walk and rounds too long.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:10 pm 

There is definitely some truth in what you are saying. I typically only play now a days when my bosses want soemone for a scramble. I can hit for show but Im not putting for dough and making a living. Five rounds is about all I get in in a year now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:03 pm 

1inStripes wrote:
There is definitely some truth in what you are saying. I typically only play now a days when my bosses want soemone for a scramble. I can hit for show but Im not putting for dough and making a living. Five rounds is about all I get in in a year now.

I've started playing at the local course again because my kids have to practice and I purchased a family membership. My play is included with their play so I'm not out any extra money. This is the first year I've played a round in about 5 years. I've not paid for a round for myself outside of the membership still to this day. I can find cheaper hobbies to enjoy without the misery. I really don't even miss it. It's a hard game and I find it kind of intriguing that so many really really poor players continue to go out and play it on a regular basis.