Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:01 am 

I need some help from all the great MB fans/experts here. We are looking to stay somewhere near the Family Kingdom Amusement Park in September.
I've been reading tripadvisor reviews, but quite honestly, I'm afraid to trust them because the Holiday Sands North gets such glowing reviews on there, and when we stayed there a few years ago I found it to be pretty bad in that the bathroom was old and gross and the pools were filthy.
We don't need the Ritz, but would like just a clean room with a clean bathroom (no rusty fixtures, mold, old outdated tub/shower and countertops, etc). I would prefer a place with an indoor pool as well as outdoor, and where the pools are really clean. (We stayed at Sandy Beach Resort last year, and their pools are beautiful, but they don't have an indoor pool).
I can think of a few hotels in that area: the Westgate, Hotel Blue, 3 Palms, Oceans One, Sea Crest, and I think maybe a Comfort Inn - if anyone has any knowledge of any of these I'd love to hear about them.

Any and all suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:29 pm 
Forum Support

How about Bayview?

http://www.bayviewresort.com/

It's about a half mile from Family Kingdom. Probably the best hotel in the area.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:35 pm 

We have stayed at Bayview quite a few times. The rooms/suites are excellent. Everything appears to be in almost new condition. Maybe a problem for you as I am pretty sure they do not have an outdoor pool. They have an indoor pool, lazy river and large hot tub. I think all the sliding doors are probably opened in the summer season. We have only stayed off season. There is a Starbucks on the property. Location is fantastic and rates are usually pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:28 pm 

We have stayed at Oceans One several times in the past and are in fact returning on Sept. 5th for our second week there this year. They do have an indoor pool and spa as well the outdoor pool, spa, kiddie pool, lazy river, and a small 2 foot or so deep pool with lounge chairs in it. The units have always been clean and the end units on the upper floors of the NORTH end. have a killer glass wall view of the Ocean Blvd. strip and the beach. I also like the fact you need a key card to even get into the building but if you smoke this is not the place for you because they are completely non smoking.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:10 pm 

We stayed at the Hotel Blue a couple years ago and weren't impressed with it. The lobby was gorgeous, the room was dated and had some cleaning problems.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:49 pm 

we,re staying at sandy beach a cross the street from family kingdom in sept . for the fifth time nice rooms ,fitness club .you can walk to most thing .we love it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:12 pm 

We stayed in that area last fall at my sister in laws time share. I walked by the Oceans One and Sandy Beach Club every morning and both looked very nice. However, I am not a big fan of that area.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:26 pm 

We stayed at the Sandy Beach Resort a few years ago in the older Magnolia Tower. It was a decent length October trip and the weather played REAL nice for us. We had what they called a townhouse room with two floors, two bathrooms, two bedrooms, full kitchen. It was an ok room as far as value. It was certainly dated at the time and in dire need of at least a coat of paint. I would not want to stay in this area during peak tourist season as traffic would be just total hell when trying to get in or out of the hotel. But, when we went in October, it was not even remotely an issue. I would definitely consider staying there again of the price was right.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:02 pm 

We have also stayed at the Bar Harbor and the Windsurfer which are both near that area but The Bar Harbor only has a small pool and kiddie pool that is not in front of the main building and when we last stayed there the rooms were a little dated. They do have a pool on the street side which is enclosed though. Bar Harbor is also at the southern end of the boardwalk. The Windsurfer is a pretty nice smaller hotel that has an oceanfront pool that is part inside and part out plus a kiddie pool and a street side pool. They also had a large lawn area that now borders the boardwalk. It has been a few years since we stayed there but the rooms were always clean then.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:03 pm 

We have stayed at Oceans One for several years now- we LOVE it! Beautiful place, nice people. Very close to Family kingdom (we always stay on the side of the building that faces family kingdom. We use to stay at the Windsurfer ( a couple blocks north) and it was like home for us, special people that work there, but with mama getting older we like the larger room at Oceans One. Check both websites out www.oceansoneresort.com and www.windsurferhotel.com and see what is in your budget. They are different price ranges for sure. Hope you find what will fit you.
Cyndi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:29 am 

This is great info, thank you all so much!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:39 am 

We stayed at the Sea Crest the past 2 years. It's great for smaller children because they have a nice child activity pool. My nephew would never get out of it. It had indoor/outdoor pool/lazy river and plenty of hot tubs! I liked it a lot.

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!