Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:47 am 

Hello all. I'm just looking fi r suggestions here. Myself, my wife, and our 2 sons (3 yrs,& 11 mos.) will be arriving at the Shore Drive area on 7/5 at 11am-noon or so. But we can't check into our hotel til 4pm.

I'm going to be exhausted after driving 11-12 hours straight, and I'm sure the boys will be restless and raring to go. Any suggestions on what to do during that down time?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:28 am 

If you pack right, you can get your bathing suits on and unpack your beach stuff and spend the afternoon on the beach, of course after having had lunch.

If it is not a beach day, head over to Alligator Adventure at Barefoot Landing.

Of course be aware, you may be able to check in before 4 PM, that is the time they
give to allow the cleaning folks to get places ready.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:13 am 

I would most definitely check with your resort for an earlier check in. I have been going to MB for years and very few times have we actually had to wait until the check in time.

As Gary said hitting the beach would be fun and I would also agree with Alligator Adventure. Of course those are both hot tiresome activities. You could always plan to hit a kids movie. You could sleep and hopefully the kids would be entertained.

We will be there during that same time. Can't Wait :wav: Hoping for wonderful weather!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:16 pm 

Thanks y'all. I actually did request early check in when I booked. However the woman on the phone basically told me not to hold my breath, considering the holiday weekend.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:43 pm 

Take the kids to a shady park and sit on a bench and let them play! Or take them to the Children's Museum of South Carolina. It's cool and they can touch/do everything they want in there.
Angela

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:02 pm 

The resort should have a changing room that they will allow you to use until check-in. Pack the bathing suits, towels, and sunscreen so you can hit the beach or pool. This could allow you to stay on site and keep checking or be the first one in line to check in.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:10 pm 

drive somewhere like Murrels Inlet or Broadway At The Beach for lunch, go grocery shopping for the basic necessities then hit up the beach.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:51 pm 

I agree with Mr. Green. Check with the resort and see if you can use pool and facilities while you wait. Most places we've dealt with through the years were fine with it. They might even go ahead and get the check-in process out of the way so when the unit is ready all you have to do is pick up the key. Win, win for everybody. One less check-in they have to deal with at 3:00.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:24 pm 

Not that big of deal. That's about the time we arrive every year. By the time you eat lunch and maybe walk around somewhere like BATB a couple of times it will be close to your check in. Head over to pick up some grocery items (maybe not ice cream) and get that out of the way. I would go to the hotel around 3 and leave your number for them to call when your room is ready. Not that hard to kill four hours.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:52 am 

Tryign to neutralize the time buffer can be hard. I say go for a nice long lunch somewhere, hit up your pool.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:12 am 

We have started planning our arrival for lunchtime. We would rather have lunch at the beach than on the road. We'll eat then usually hit a few Wings & Eagles for the customary souvenirs then check for early check-in.
Maybe stop by BATB for lunch, they have that water fountain thing for the kids to run through. Check the putt-putt courses, some have indoor courses that make day time play more bearable in the heat. I don't have little ones anymore, but maybe check if any restaurants have an indoor playground or ball pit for the kids. Or as others have suggested, ask your hotel to let your family use the pool. It will entertain your kids while giving you parents a chance to catch your breath after the long drive.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:43 am 

Last year we decided to go around and gather as much as we could (that we never had before). It worked out great.