Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:44 pm 

Loving your trip and pictures!! Keep it coming!
Angela

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:09 pm 

Wow, now that I'm on a semi-calibrated screen connected to the laptop I see my pictures are way over saturated with my processing. I normally don't saturate the colors that much. Makes a big difference processing pictures on the 13 inch laptop screen vs. the 21 inch desktop LCD, especially when I've calibrated the graphics per the LCD and not the laptop screen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:04 pm 

They look great to me.

mrodgers wrote:
Wow, now that I'm on a semi-calibrated screen connected to the laptop I see my pictures are way over saturated with my processing. I normally don't saturate the colors that much. Makes a big difference processing pictures on the 13 inch laptop screen vs. the 21 inch desktop LCD, especially when I've calibrated the graphics per the LCD and not the laptop screen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Mike, thank you for such a delightful trip report! Along with everyone else, I enjoyed following you around on your vacation! Loved all the phtos....that made this report extra special.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:06 am 

You saw the UFO lights???? I am so jealous. I remember the fun of watching lightning over the ocean since I was a little boy. Whenever I get a chance to see it again I enjoy it very much. I dont know how safe it is, but its a great show.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:47 am 

your pictures are great...thanks...even with meltdowns looks like a fun trip...we have had our share of meltdowns as the kids were growing up and we were on vacations...it is sometimes "fun" to remember and bring them up to the kids now that they are adults. If they have their own little ones...pay back can be sweet...I try not to laugh when one of the grandkids is having a meltdown but it is hard... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:51 pm 

To continue on with our saga....

Wednesday

We let the kids go down to the pool today while Heather and I sat at umbrella. Heather's sunburn gets pretty bad but fades overnight. She wants to hide from the sun today. We sit at one of the tables and read for a while. The girls are still fighting. They are in and out of the pool all morning mad at each other.

We decide to change it up a little today. Instead of dinner, we head out to lunch. We head down to Pawleys Island Pawley's Island Tavern. I still couldn't find it. I walked behind the shops that are there and over to the right where I see a building through the trees while Heather and the girls wait. Nope, that's not it. I walk around behind the buildings making a circle, can't find it. My phone goes off and I have a text, "where are you?" Heck, I have no idea, LOL. They decided to come behind me and we were circling out of sight of each other. They finally catch back up to me and Heather says there's something over there. Bingo, there it is.

This is something interesting I was doing. I downloaded Google My Tracks, Android GPS tracker. You can then upload it to your Googlemaps account. I did this every time we were out as well as the drive. Pretty neat. Here is a shot of the map of me hunting for Pawleys Island Tavern.

Interesting decor. We didn't expect the place to look anything like that. It is like a shack. Again, Heather is hesitant same as she was with Prossers which we didn't get to. We walk in and seat in the back room with all the $1 bills taped to, well, everything. The girls enjoyed looking at all the ones people wrote dates on looking for the oldest date. The oldest we found from our table was only 2007. Emma keeps saying, "Why would people do that and give up a dollar? There's a lot of money in here!" I counted just the beam between the windows and told her there was $43 just on that beam.

No pictures this time of the food, I don't carry the camera around everywhere like I use to. I was into learning photography pretty heavy, but quickly outgrew my superzoom camera limitations. Thus, I don't do much in the way of photos any more. I only had my cell phone and it is not good lighting for trying to take pictures, so I didn't photograph the food this time.

Heather got the pulled pork sandwich, I went with shrimp again. Lauren wasn't that hungry so she just got a hotdog, which is a heck of a hotdog at 1/4 lb. Emma, well, take a guess, LOL.

My shrimp were very good. I don't know what they were coated in before lightly frying. It wasn't a batter, it wasn't breading. Looked like they were dipped in a liquid then fried. I could still see the shrimp meat through whatever it was dipped in. It gave them a little crispy coating. Again, they were very good.

Heather's pulled pork on the other hand was not good at all. I gave it a taste, or I should say gave it a non-taste because there was no flavor in it at all. Maybe a very little hint of watered down vinegar which we are not fond of to begin with. We figured that out in 2011 when we stopped at Lexington BBQ for lunch on the way down. We are regular old tomato based BBQ sauce pork fans. This pork though had absolutely no flavor to it at all.

Emma and Lauren's meals were pretty basic. You can't do much to a hotdog other than make it large at 1/4 lb. Emma did comment that she didn't like the chicken strips very well. I think there was a bit of the batter that didn't crisp through so it left some soggy areas on the chicken.

Lunch finished, we roam the little shops there and head out to drive through Murrells Inlet. On leaving the parking lot, I see a sign fairly large that just reads "PIT ---->" I didn't even notice it when we were parking, nor do I think I would have made the connection with just PIT. There is a smaller sign that I now notice that has "Pawleys Island Tavern" written on it, but it is easy to miss that one.

Some pics of the swamp area

At Murrells Inlet and finally no one is sick! We shop the Lazy Gator. We overheard the clerk saying to another customer that the gator they had in the swampy pond ran away. That's a bummer. We saw it in 2011 when we were there. Lots of turtles and frogs in the pond though as seen in the pics above. I have a photo of the gator from our 2011 trip.

On the way back, we rode around Garden City Beach area a bit and headed back.

Back at the hotel, Lauren and I walked over to the Eagles store to grab a Myrtle Beach t-shirt. They didn't have anything in Emma's size, the kid's were too small and they didn't have extra small in adult. I grabbed a nice shotglass with Myrtle Beach on it to fill with sand and put our shark teeth in. Lauren wanted to check out I think Pacifica which is about a block down Kings Highway. We should have gone there first, everything was cheaper. We grabbed some Subway sandwiches for dinner to eat out on the balcony or go down to the umbrella tables later on even though we have turkey and tuna fish up in the room. The girls just like Subway.

Emma and I walked a bit on the beach for some sand to put in my shotglass with our shark teeth. We see ribbons of black sand over on the other side of the hotel than we usually go. That is the stuff I am looking for. All is great when kids seperate. Emma never wants to leave the room, but asking her if she wants to walk beach with just me, she's all into it. Same with Lauren, if I ask her to come down to the water with just me she comes along and has a great time.

Hanging out on the balcony again we spot 2 kayaks way out in the water. I don't know where they came from, but they are out there paddling away trying to beat the current. They are paddling south, but moving north.

The pelicans finally flew by. I was semi ready. Camera is now outside so it won't fog, but I had just turned it off from taking the pictures of the kayaks. I was a tad bit late as the pelicans went by.

Also didn't see dolphins all week until this evening. They are tough to capture.

We ate our Subway late and all headed down on the beach for the evening activities. It's Wednesday, fireworks night off the 2nd Ave. Pier. We head back down and play in the surf waiting for it to get dark.

10o'clock and the fireworks just start when Heather points out across from us above the ocean. The orange lights are back. This time the sky is really clear. Three distinct orange glowing lights, 2 in line across the ocean and a 3rd straight up from the right hand light. They appear and glow for a bit before they faded away. They appeared again, same pattern and very distinctly a few minutes later. Very strange.

Trip is coming to a close. Only 1 day left as we'll leave fairly early in the morning on Friday.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:29 pm 

I've really enjoyed reading your report. Hate that you went all the way to Pawleys and got a so so meal. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:07 pm 

Really enjoying your trip report!!! Can't wait to read the rest of it (and see where Emma gets chicken strips next!!!)

Ah, the infamous orange lights! We've seen them every year since we've been staying at Monterey Bay and many times at the different places we have stayed before finding Monterey Bay. They really are a sight to behold!

Karen in Upstate SC

Post subject: June 7-14, Dayton House
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:46 pm 

Thank you Mr Rogers - we are staying at the Dayton House. On a week I am sure it will be dead - first week of July including the Fourth. ;-). My husband is very tall and I am not so small so beds will be cozy....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

Mike, what a wonderful trip report, enhanced by all the photos. I know how time-consuming a task like this can be, but as you can see from the responses, it was very much appreciated by everyone!

Thanks again for all your work!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:33 am 

Great trip report.
The map of your tavern search reminds me of the old Family Circus in the Sunday paper. Little Billy could turn a simple trip to mail box into a tour of the neighborhood.

The rib pit we go to here in the hills does the dollars on the walls thing. After several years they decided to strip the walls and start again. Couple days of pulling stables and smoothing out dollar bills. $3000 some dollars they donated to local animal shelter. Walls are already filling up again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:17 pm 

I'm loving your trip report. Sad that you had a bad meal at Pawley's Island Tavern. We have always had really good meals there. I've never sat inside though. It's too pretty outside!
Angela

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:31 pm 

Thursday, final day. Finally got around to getting it posted.

Sounds like it's going to be a scorcher today. Hazy morning and I caught the sunrise coming through the haze.

I jumped in the car early to run over to Krispy Kreme to grab some for breakfast before everyone got up. Last time I walked as it is only about 3 blocks over and 2 blocks up to Kings Highway, but heck with that, it's hot already. I'm driving. The kids were pretty happy about that.

Whoops! We all love the pudding filled donuts and it seems they forgot something. Not a single one of them had pudding in it.

Last day so definitely some time on the beach. I went out in the water and see the girls walking down the beach looking for more shells and shark teeth. So, I started swimming down the beach after them. I never caught up to them. They turned around and I am exhausted. I may look like I'd sink like a rock, but I am a strong swimmer. I love being in the water and absolutely love swimming in the ocean. Boy is it exhausting swimming south though against the current. Swimming back up with the current is so much easier. We head back up to the towels so I can check out the girls' shell and shark tooth catch.

Of course they are bugging us to swim in the pool. So they swim while we sit out at a table with an umbrella. To be in the sun is scorching. All these people who lay out in the sun all day long are nuts.

Lauren and Heather head up to the room a little early to see if it is done with housekeeping. I sneak into the pool and surprise Emma. We got to swim around a little together and after about half an hour, we head up for lunch. It's hot!

We are vacationed out. It's hot, we are sore from walking or standing on the shells in the water day after day. Heather really has played moderator for the fights non-stop all week long. Sad to say, we are ready to come home.

We are pretty much hiding from the heat. We hang out on the balcony a little bit, but it's too hot out there. I caught another dolphin breaching the surface.

We normally eat dinner early so we head out. This time Heather wants to pick the place. She saw Fuddruckers and wanted to go there. We climb in the car and head out to turn onto Kings Highway. Turns out, Fuddruckers is right there. We could have walked. I thought it was down Kings Highway a bit. But now I'm in the left turn lane to head out on Kings Highway and Fuddruckers is across on the right hand corner! Luckily no one behind me so I could wait for the car line beside me to go and zip over and go straight.

3 hamburgers and of course chicken tenders. The burgers were pretty good. They are suppose to never been frozen, always fresh, blah blah. They advertise the bison, buffalo, and Emu I think it is as being grass fed and organic, but I don't think the hamburger is advertised that way. Still pretty good, just not as good as my own since we raise grass fed, rotationally grazed, organic beef ourselves. Part of the problem we have of getting good food in restaurants. We raise most of our own food from beef to chicken to veggies. My father-in-law does it actually, I just reep the benefits of being married to the farmer's daughter! Wish he'd get some hog though.

Fuddruckers you order the hamburgers cooked to your liking (doneness, add bacon, cheese, mushrooms, cooked onions, etc, at this stage.) There's 1/3 lb, 1/2 lb, and 1 lb to choose from. We have been losing weight a pound at a time lately, so I don't go for the 1/2 pounder or even more. Just went with 1/3 lb. You then head over to the topping bar where they have everything, 3 different kinds of lettuce, the usual tomato, onion, condiments, even salsa and such. Lot of stuff there you can put on a burger.

The burgers were pretty darn good. Nothing to write home about as we have a restaurant group at home that we frequent that makes fresh burgers that we are use to, but they are quite good. We all got milkshakes as that is advertised pretty heavily, but they also weren't anything to write home about. I expected something pretty extrodinair with the adverts, but just a simple milkshake.

So, since it is our last day..... Drum roll please..... dddddddddddddddddd

Ladies and Gentlemen! The winner of the Myrtle Beach chicken strip-off is.......

"Fuddruckers! Tastes exactly like Arby's chicken nuggets!"

:cheerleader: :nanner: :hello: :nanner: :cheerleader: :wav: :cheerleader: :nanner: :hello: :nanner: :cheerleader:

Well, there you have it. Fuddruckers tastes just like Arby's, LOL. The fact that they had hot cheddar cheese she could dip them in really put them over the top.

After Fuddruckers we drive up Kings Highway a little bit and I swing over to the side streets to find a parking spot. We tossed about half an hour on the meter so the girls could go to the Gay Dolphin that they wanted to go to so bad all week. What did they buy? Nothing. Nada. Not a thing. Cool shop though.

We head back to the room and it's about 6:30-7:00 or so. We are leaving in the morning so I swing through our building's parking and there's a spot free! Yahoo! I grab it for ease of packing the car the next morning and we turn the corner to the elevators. They are both sitting on the ground floor with the doors open. The folks who were there says they just contacted someone, the fire system of the elevators are down, they are stuck on the ground floor. We're on the 14th, this is lousy! So we trudge up 13 flights of stairs since there isn't a 13th floor. Wasn't too bad. The elevators had better be fixed by tomorrow morning, I'm not walking everything down 13 flights of stairs.

Back in the room we pack some of the smaller stuff up and pack all but clothes we want for the drive tomorrow. I glance outside and the elevators are working again. I grab most of the small stuff and head out to pack it down under the cargo floor in the car. Back up in the room I ask if anyone wants to head down and walk the beach once more. We all jump back in our bathing suits and open the door. Now the fire alarm is flashing and there is no power to the elevators. The floor number isn't even displayed. There's a firetruck outside on Ocean Blvd. as well. Heck with that, we are exhausted enough to forgo the beach in lui of walking down and back up 13 flights of steps. Instead as it gets dark, we head out on the balcony cameras ready for the alien lights in the sky.

Nothing. We don't see the lights tonight now that we have cameras ready.

That's the extent of the vacation. Hope you enjoyed. About 1 am I noticed the fire alarm strobe out in the hall finally go out and when I checked the elevator was fixed. No carrying all the luggage, chairs, pillows, and boogie boards down 13 flights of stairs thank goodness. I'll leave you with a couple of evening beach shots that I forgot to post on Tuesday's report.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:49 am 

I especially like your Hazy Morining Sunrise picture.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next