Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:47 pm 

Wednesday June 19 at 7:30 PM. Barnes & Noble

Last edited by Myrtlebeachbum on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:11 pm 

Bonnie and I plan to be there. It'll be fun to see everybody!

"Don't give up, don't ever give up."
Jim Valvano 1946-1993

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:01 am 

I sent a message to Bonnie on Facebook, so she must have got it? Soon we will have to find a bigger area to fit everyone. :nanner:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:01 pm 

This thread is making me very jealous :cry:

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:55 pm 

Me, too, Deanna! Wish we could go!!!

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:09 pm 

I just woke up from a nap and realized I'd had the craziest dream:

I was out riding the golf cart in Market Common. As I went past Barnes and Noble, there were all these familiar faces in a group of people standing and sitting out front.

So I drove past several times - waving to all (and receiving these rather cautious waves in return) - all the while frantically trying to find a parking space.

Magically, just past this gathering of nice folks, I spotted an end space where someone had parked partway in 2 spaces, but left plenty of room to back the golf cart in - at the very closest spot possible to those familiar folks.

As I ambled (more like hobbled) to this gang, I heard nice classic music coming from the bushes. A crimson sunset silhouetted my approach.

I introduced myself to folks I’d only ever seen in pictures – and re-introduced myself to folks I hadn’t seen in months or years. It was quite a pleasant experience. One fine young lad from my past – let’s just refer to him as “Wally” was even eating ice cream, reminding me of the time not long ago when I shared some frozen treats with Jay North (of classic-television “Dennis the Menace” fame), but this young whip didn’t have a slingshot in his back pocket.

I thought I recognized one gent as someone I once knew as “Leo”, but this couldn’t have been him – as he had no camera at hand.

All the other great folks there had names just like the ones you see in this discussion thread’s various posts.

Alas, after some enjoyable and captivation conversation (including some folks placing ambiguous references to me with a locale they called “Myrtle Manor”), I realized the overcast sky would soon yield to darkness - the very curse of golf-cart-on-the-roadway no-no in this Palmetto State.

I regrettably said goodbyes to all, and departed Market Common on a dusk-time ride of which my only real memory was Styx’s “Grand Illusion” on the stereo.

Next thing I recall was sitting up from that nap a few moments ago. But it all seemed so dang REAL…

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:02 am 

AAAAAAAWWWWWWWW man, I wish I could have been there!!!!!

Thanks, Mike, for this little snapshot in time. :notworthy: Sounds like the meet-up was a success!

(Leo without a camera... who'd a-thunk it???? :shock: )

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:00 pm 

I am a little confused (as usual). Was Mike actually at the meet-up or was it really a dream. I am puzzled that no one has posted a recap of the meetup. I am a curious person so was interested in seeing the specifics of attendance, photos, etc. Wish I could have been there. Hope a good time was had by all.
Judy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sorry to be soooo late getting these photos online. I had a doctor appointment in the middle of the day, and like all doctor appointments, it took longer than I expected.

We had a wonderful group of people last night. In no particular order:

Em, her mother Emily, husband Paul and son Sy. Some of you remember when Emily celebrated her 85th birthday earlier this year. It is always a delight to see this family, but they never stay long enough.
Me (on cell phone) Hi, Emmy!
Emmy: PATRISH!
Me: When are you coming back to the beach?
Emmy. We just left, remember? We'll be back in 9 months.
See what I mean? They need to visit more often…before I forget they were here!

Rich (RichMax) and Pat. Due to an eating time malfunction (I'll take all the blame) , Rich and Pat were a little late joining the group in front of B&N. When they did, Wally had the camera and neither one of us thought about the need to get a shot of them. So I apologize that Pat and Rich are not in these photos. Next time we see them, I promise to post some shots of them. Meanwhile, ro make up for it, here's one of them from Sept. 2011 at the Landshark.

http://www.funbeaches.com/9-10-11-meetup/rich-pat.jpg

Bob and Bonnie. Many of you have met this couple in the past as they have been message board members almost from the beginning. Usually if Wally and I want to see them we have to wait until we run into them at Costco. During lunch hour. This was much nicer! We always enjoy Bob and Bonnie, and since they're locals, we need to see them more often!

Mary and Ron (Myrtlebeachbum, also formerly known to some as Opie), plus their daughter Brittany and her friend. It is always good to see this family and get caught up on has been happening. We all used to kid Brittany when when she was 7 and 8 years old about how she one day might become Miss Myrtle Beach…and there's still a chance that may happen! As you can see, she has become a very lovely and perfectly-mannered young lady.

Unfortunately, Leo's better half Charlotte had to be out of town working, and I'm so sorry we missed the opportunity if seeing her. But I know everyone was happy to see Leo last night. Leo is special. He truly enjoys being with a variety of people and engaging them in conversation. But he has the rare talent of not only listening to what you say, but remembering it because he truly is interested.

Vicki (Mz Kitty) her husband Kay, grandson Aaron, and Aaron's girlfriend Sarah helped fill out the list of long-time message board members in attendance last night. Both Vicki and Kay, (as well as Aaron) have had some health problems this year, but you would not have known it if you saw them yesterday.

The surprise of the evening was Mike Lloyd (MikeL) who arrived in his golf cart. I think he answered a lot of questions about Myrtle Manor...sorry I was not paying attention! LOL! Mike, thanks for coming to the meetup!

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to attend the meet-up last night. It was so special to see each and every one of you.

http://www.funbeaches.com/Meetup-6-19/

You can pause or stop the pictures if they are moving too fast.
1. Brittany and her friend
2. From left: Paul and Sy, Bob (waving) and Emmy
Mary talking to Ron, Bonnie, me, Emily almost completely hidden by me) and Ron, Leo
3. From Left: Sarah, Aaron,Vicki, Kay, MikeL, Wally/ With their backs to me: Emmy, Emily, Leo
4. Paul, Sy, Bob, Emmy, Mary, Ron, Bonnie
5. Leo and Emily
6. Emily, starting to disbelieve Leo's fish story. Emmy waiting for the punch line!
7. Me, Mary and Bonnie
8. MikeL
9.. Paul and Sy
10 Wally and Bob - bringing the ice cream! I guess it was Wally's turn to wave!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:19 pm 

Thank you Patrish for posting the wonderful photos and recap of the meetup. It made it seem even more special since it was at Market Commons one of my favorite places to hang out. So Mike was really there!! Looking forward to a possible meet-up in October.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:31 pm 

Soooooo, I guess I really WAS there. That certainly explains why I woke up holding my alligator-handled cane (though I dreamed I was using my rooster-handled cane)... :joker:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:02 pm 

It looks like a great meet-up! Thanks for sharing the pictures with all of us sitting on the sideline wishing we were there too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:58 pm 

Thanks Patrish for sharing the meet up with us. I always love seeing the pics of everyone. Looks like this was a pretty big crowd. Since I have a few meet ups under my belt now it always makes me a little sad not being able to attend :cry: Maybe one day my dream of being a local will come true :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:16 am 

Everyone looks great!

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:01 pm 

Wow! I met all of you except for Mike, it's great to know he does exist. I don't know if he's ever been to a meetup. I like the alligator on a the cane. Great pics Patrish.

Everyone looked so happy. I thought about the group that night.

I hope to see some of you in September.

Enjoy your vacations everyone.