Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:07 pm 

Sort of off subject but someone mentioned Cheddar's. We are big Cheddar's fans and guess what they are opening one right here in Pigeon Forge, TN on Monday. Rumor has it that we will be getting a Margaritaville also. I will believe it when I see it. Also, we now have a Wheel similar to the MB one. It has not opened yet but they have been testing it recently. Back on subject. We like Harry's Pancakes for breakfast. There always seem to be a few policemen eating there. I guess that is an endorsement. Nothing fancy, just good hot food, reasonable prices and a friendly atmosphere.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:59 am 

For the money cheddars is about as good as anyplace out there. Gatlinburg is pretty much a minature version of MB as far as activities go. It has many of the theme restaurants like MB, but lacks the seafood choices. It also has serious road flaws, not near as many golf courses and is missing a beach. :lol: I like the Gatlinburg area for two or maybe three days, but would get bored with anything longer than that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:40 pm 

Keeping a little sideways off topic...I've never heard of Cheddars - have to google them! lol

Also - my family is doing another trip to PF/Gburg in June - we didn't hit any remarkable restaurants there last spring...any recommendations?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:45 pm 

We are definitely going to check out at least one of the following, Hanna Bananas, California Dreaming, The Shack, or Quigley's. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

Today Wally and I met his sister, Sara, at Salt Water Creek and I was again reminded of how good and fairly priced this restaurant is.
http://www.saltwatercreekcafe.com/

We met there at 12:30, and it was crowded with the "after church" crowd. But we didn't have to wait long before we were seated.

I ordered the Grilled Shrimp Salad...lots of shrimp, spinach, pineapple, bacon, cucumbers, carrot, cucumber, and a delicious homemade honey lime dressing...$12.

Waly and Sara ordered a salmon sandwich. Wally chose sweet potato fries and Sara enjoyed french fries. $11.

I'm, sorry I didn't have the camera or you would be ooo-ing and ahh-ing, LOL!

They now have a brunch menu. I don't see it listed on their website, but it looked good too.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:30 pm 

We discovered Cheddars when Ryan started Pharmacy School in Johnson City two years ago. They now have one in Knoxville that we frequent occasionally. I am sure if Jeff would chime in he could tell us all about it since he used to manage the one in Cookville, TN. The food is good (great desserts). You get large amounts for low cost. Apparently they keep their cost so low because they do not advertise. The place is always packed. I think Cheddars would go over great in MB.

micountrygal, You need to try The Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg. It has the best French Toast! Oh, and Doug says the best Pancakes :lol:

Guess this was off topic too :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:53 pm 

Sorry off subject again. micountrygal, Deanna is right the Pancake Pantry is a very nice breakfast or lunch experience. I think they close at 3pm. It is always hard to recommend someplace because everyones tastes and pocketbooks are different. In Pigeon Forge there is a place called The Old Mill Pottery Cafe. It is across from Patriot Park. There food is wonderful and the service if very good. It is reasonably priced and has a fairly varied menu. I love there french onion soup and strawberry salad. They have a nice patio eating area with a pond, etc. Nothing fancy but great service and good food. On Dolly Parton Blvd. in Sevierville there is a new restaurant called Holston's. Locally owned, think upscale Applebee's. Food is good and nice atmosphere. If anyone needs add'l info about the area feel free to PM me. We have lived here 25 years so I know the area pretty well.
Judy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:05 am 

Thanks Deanna and Judy! I will put the Pancake Pantry on the list! And Holston's sounds like it might be a place for us, too. It's kind of hard to pick some days, my 2 nephews are with us (6 and 3) and they'd rather do something like a Golden Corral of McD's, but a couple nights the adults get to go out and Holston's would be good! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 am 

Speaking of French toast, the Golden Griddle in North Myrtle Beach, on Main Street, has awesome French toast. Actually they have a great breakfast period.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:09 am 

I'm pretty sure cheddars is based out of Lexington, Ky. You would be surprised of how many chain restaurants have gotten their start in Kentucky. You guys are missing out if you have never eaten at a cheddars. The decor of the place is comparable to an upscale restaurant that you would think would have $30 entrees. Every one of them I have been to have huge saltwater fish tanks that my kids love. The majority of the items including their steaks and ribs cost no more than $15. I usually get a chicken finger appetizer that comes with fries for about $6. Its too much for me to eat and I have a healthy appetite. I think one would do great in MB. They are in North Carolina now, so I would think they will eventually make it to MB.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:47 am 

mrodgers wrote:
Bah, I hate when restaurants don't put prices in their online menus. Makes it hard to try when you are on a tighter budget which we are for food this time. I especially hate when any business only has Facebook. I'm not on Facebook and I have no idea how to navigate it to see their menu.

That said, glad for this topic. First off, I am bound and determined this time to find Pawleys Island Tavern. Our GPS took us to Pawleys Island Cafe and Deli, and as I said 2 years ago, we were thrilled we couldn't find Tavern as the shrimp at the Cafe and Deli were the best we had all week. I do want to get to Pawleys Island Tavern though. That looks like menu pricing that will work well for us. We'll probably do both the Tavern and the Cafe and Deli because Wifey will probably insist on going back to the Cafe and Deli.

Dagwood's in Surfside looks promising for this year as well. I'll be trying that one.

Ryan's is a part of the group including Golden Corral, am I correct? Ah, no, I see on the site it is part of Old Country Buffet. Old Country Buffet did lousy around us locally, but just about every is lousy in our local "big" town. I've always heard Ryan's was the best of the 5 in that group.

Well, there's more than half of our dining for the week.

For the Marsh Walk area, I looked up the big 3 along the Marsh Walk figuring we would try another one of those. We did Creek Ratz in 2011 and I didn't think it was too expensive (I still have receipts, I'll have to look that up.) After looking up Drunken Jacks and Dead Dog, they are priced a bit more than I remember Creek Ratz was.

I want to try out Prosser's as I've always heard good from you guys about price and food.

I need 1 more night of food and a walk on the boardwalk to the 2nd Avenue Pier restaurant will have to be it. I think we just had burgers there so it wasn't too much of a strain on the budget.

Looks like I'll be able to save quite a lot in food compared to 2011 since we did try out one of the popular seafood buffets and as I said back then after I got home, it was like a $100+ Golden Corral and no where near worth it to me.

Thanks for this thread, got my lower budgeted dining all figured out from it.

the PIT is awesome! We find it every year. It's DEF worth the trip. We are almost usually the only out of state car in the lot!!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:50 am 

I saw Hannah Banana's mentioned. What a great hidden place! When we were going there, I was sure we'd taken a wrong turn because you are riding through residential neighborhoods for awhile and then end up at a Marina on the Intracoastal waterway. This place was amazing.

I also really liked Quigley's but it seemed pretty pricey. They had the best Shrimp and Grits i've ever had!

EDIT BY PATRISH:
Hanna Banana' closed, and K-rae's opened in its place. We ate there once, and the food was good. Same outdoor seating as Hannah.

http://www.waccawachemarina.com/Resturant.html

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Two more I forgot to mention

Mr. Fish. He recently moved because he needed more room for his customers. Good food and prices. Definitely a local favorite
http://mrfish.com/

And Nibils, which is next door to Mr. Fish. Open for breakfast and lunch only. Family run and operated....they used to be located at the Surfside Pier.
http://www.nibilsrestaurant.com/

And now one where we don't do dinner anymore. Like the Marshwalk restaurants, Conch Cafe has priced themselves out of my casual dinner budget. However, it is still a good choice for lunch. Plan to pay about $10. not including beverage. They have a huge back porch overlooking the ocean, so it really gives you a feeling of being right on the beach without getting sand between your toes.
http://www.conchcafe.net/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:29 pm 

Location: Murrell's Inlet, South Carolina (KY in my former life)
My faves include
Salt water Cafe...you can not beat the happy Hour /early Bird...I adore the three dollar bloody Marys and the food is delicious. We probably go here the most consistently.
Prossers....out of this world...truly local.
Lees inlet kitchen...pricey but I have been going here since I was a kid...no matter when I walk in I feel like I am on vacation not someone who has to go home and do laundry
scatoris...20 local special is the best deal on the beach.
California Dreaming...it reminds me of raffertys in ky.

I wish I could find good Mexican...I miss it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:18 pm 

I know the seafood buffets are over priced and not worth it but thats where my brother in law likes to go to get his all you can eat crab legs. So we go to Giant Crab every year. But this year since there are usually 6 of us we each get to pick a place to eat each night, for my place this year I was thinking Longbeards Bar and Grill. Has anyone eaten there before? I guess I just want to try the buffalo rib eye.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next