Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:45 pm 

I'm sure this topic has been posted before, but I'd really like to know. As you browse through all the magazines you see all over the Myrtle Beach area many places use "where the locals" eat as part of their ads. So the real question is to all the locals, where do you eat when you go out? This year we are all willing to try out some new places and I'd really like to get a locals feedback. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

Well, we're probably pretty boring. But hope this helps:

Tonight we went to Ryan's in Surfside. They have an all-you-can-eat buffet, but I'm only interested in the salad bar. I think it's the best value for anyone who loves salads. They also now offer a "stir-fry" area where they make stir-fry dishes as you watch. Wally will usually try a variety of the food offerings, and they have quite a wide selection.

We also like California Dreaming and its sister location Carolina Roadhouse.

We often go to PF Chang and Nacho Hippo, both located in The Market Common because we live very nearby.

We love Dagwood's in Surfside as well as the PIT (Pawleys Island Tavern) and Quigleys in Murrells Inlet and Salt Creek Cafe.

I've been to Graham's Landing in Murrells Inlet as well as Litchfield Fish House for lunch, and both are very good. The reviews are posted here:
viewforum.php?f=77

Some links:

Capriccio's is an excellent local's choice for Italian:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=12417

Quigley's
http://www.pintandplate.com/

Salt Creek Cafe
http://www.saltwatercreekcafe.com/

Pawleys Island Tavern
http://www.pawleysislandtavern.com/

California Dreaming
http://californiadreaming.co/locations/ ... -carolina/

Carolina Roadhouse
http://www.centraarchy.com/carolina-roadhouse/

Dagwood's Surfside Beach
http://www.dagwoodsdeli.com/dagsb.htm

Nacho Hippo
http://www.nachohippo.com/

PF Chang
http://www.pfchangs.com/index.aspx

We used to go to the Marshwalk restaurants in Murrells Inlet, but they have raised their prices so much year after year that we now think of it as a tourist trap rather than a local hangout.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:06 am 

I'm reminded of the skit on TV33 with The Oceanfront Bar and Grill. Their one line states that "even the locals don't know about". It's not that the locals don't know about it. It's that the locals are smart enough to know a tourist trap when they see it. The place is nasty and the service is horrid.

You're on the right track of asking an actual local where to go. Don't believe the commercials or advertisements. It's taken my family and I a long time to figure out what we like and don't like. What is a trap and what isn't. I'm on board with Patrish about the Marsh Walk establishments. Great atmosphere but the prices are sky high for what you get in return.

One thing I've learned is that the seafood buffets are the single biggest waste of money in the area. I'd love to find a good one!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:19 am 

The Shack in Cherry Grove NMB was fantastic and we were literally the only out of state plate in the lot. Everyone there looked to be local and there were even some local police eating there. The food was down home southern cooking and very good and very reasonable. Take a look...

http://youtu.be/ArusTqUJjaI

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:14 am 

I also agree with Patrish about the marsh walk. I know it is vacation and you may want to splurge on a meal, but there is better value out there. A place like Drunken Jacks does have good food, but do you really want to pay $8-$10 extra for every meal you buy? For a family of 6 like my own, that is $50 added to the bill. You can get a similar quality meal off the marsh for much less. Smart move asking for the locals opinion. Locals would run out of money real quick eating on a routine basis at these tourist destinations. The majority of our meals in MB come from local recommendations from this message board. The quality of our food has improved, and the savings add up to hundreds of dollars.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:55 am 

You should say where your staying, the area spreads out over 60 miles, you don;t need to travel 30 or 40 miles to eat :)

Emmy is correct, the Shack is good and as Patrish stated the Marshwalk restaurants are overpriced for what you get, I use to hang out at there back in the day, no more.
Yet in the Inlet, for good food at reasonable prices is the Inlet Crab House and Beaver Bar, also Old World and On The 1/2 Shell.

I enjoy the sandwiches at niki's and Boathouse makes some great sandwiches, let's not forget Island Bar and Lulu's.

Outer Limits, Big E's, El Patio and Magoo's and Fat Jacks for wings.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:09 pm 

Gary said "Outer Limits, Big E's, El Patio and Magoo's and Fat Jacks for wings."

Good call Gary, I forgot about Big E's. Another locals favorite. This place is the true, true south. Rustic to say the very least. Please don't expect fancy or haute cuisine! Paper towel rolls on the table, wooden tables and chairs that have seen better days, and pitchers of ice cold sweet tea.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:55 pm 

GREAT!!!!! Now I have to do a whole new list of places to eat :twisted:

Actually....sounds good to me.Keep em coming :bounce:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:30 pm 

Bah, I hate when restaurants don't put prices in their online menus. Makes it hard to try when you are on a tighter budget which we are for food this time. I especially hate when any business only has Facebook. I'm not on Facebook and I have no idea how to navigate it to see their menu.

That said, glad for this topic. First off, I am bound and determined this time to find Pawleys Island Tavern. Our GPS took us to Pawleys Island Cafe and Deli, and as I said 2 years ago, we were thrilled we couldn't find Tavern as the shrimp at the Cafe and Deli were the best we had all week. I do want to get to Pawleys Island Tavern though. That looks like menu pricing that will work well for us. We'll probably do both the Tavern and the Cafe and Deli because Wifey will probably insist on going back to the Cafe and Deli.

Dagwood's in Surfside looks promising for this year as well. I'll be trying that one.

Ryan's is a part of the group including Golden Corral, am I correct? Ah, no, I see on the site it is part of Old Country Buffet. Old Country Buffet did lousy around us locally, but just about every is lousy in our local "big" town. I've always heard Ryan's was the best of the 5 in that group.

Well, there's more than half of our dining for the week.

For the Marsh Walk area, I looked up the big 3 along the Marsh Walk figuring we would try another one of those. We did Creek Ratz in 2011 and I didn't think it was too expensive (I still have receipts, I'll have to look that up.) After looking up Drunken Jacks and Dead Dog, they are priced a bit more than I remember Creek Ratz was.

I want to try out Prosser's as I've always heard good from you guys about price and food.

I need 1 more night of food and a walk on the boardwalk to the 2nd Avenue Pier restaurant will have to be it. I think we just had burgers there so it wasn't too much of a strain on the budget.

Looks like I'll be able to save quite a lot in food compared to 2011 since we did try out one of the popular seafood buffets and as I said back then after I got home, it was like a $100+ Golden Corral and no where near worth it to me.

Thanks for this thread, got my lower budgeted dining all figured out from it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:36 pm 

I'm with Emmy. We love The Shack. Great Southern home cooking and the price is great. We also like that you chose your meat and then pick your sides. Custom made meal. Lol Great fried chicken.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:04 pm 

I agree with a lot of your post mrodgers. With a growing family and no pay raises in many years, I'm looking to make wiser choices in restaurant decisions. It's not too bad to eat the higher price meals with just two or three people, but when feeding six the costs add up quickly. Big buffets like Crabby Mikes is out of the question for us, just not going to pay $150+ for one meal. Prosser's is not real expensive (around $13) and has a nice variety. We hit the Bar-b-cue House, which has entrees priced between $8-$10. I think they have locations on both ends of the Grand Strand. I wish they would build a Cheddar's in MB. I know it's a chain restaurant, but for the quality of food and price it's probably the best out there.

I like good food just as much as any other person, but just can't justify paying $40-$60 extra for a view. There are good options out there and I always try to remind myself that in the end satisfying your hunger is the main objective. Don't break the bank trying to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:52 pm 

We have been staying at the North Beach Plantation the last 3 years. Traveling anywhere on the grand strand really isn't a problem as we always end up driving a decent distance at least one day out of our stay. Thanks for all the replies everyone, it definitely helped.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:49 am 

MBKY wrote:
I agree with a lot of your post mrodgers. With a growing family and no pay raises in many years, I'm looking to make wiser choices in restaurant decisions. It's not too bad to eat the higher price meals with just two or three people, but when feeding six the costs add up quickly. Big buffets like Crabby Mikes is out of the question for us, just not going to pay $150+ for one meal. Prosser's is not real expensive (around $13) and has a nice variety. We hit the Bar-b-cue House, which has entrees priced between $8-$10. I think they have locations on both ends of the Grand Strand. I wish they would build a Cheddar's in MB. I know it's a chain restaurant, but for the quality of food and price it's probably the best out there.

I like good food just as much as any other person, but just can't justify paying $40-$60 extra for a view. There are good options out there and I always try to remind myself that in the end satisfying your hunger is the main objective. Don't break the bank trying to do it.

The prices also have a lot to do with what you are use to in your home location. We can't eat out at crappy restaurants for under $80 unless we are only eating hamburgers for our family of 4. So, to have an awesome meal at someplace good for $70 or so (that was our most expensive meal in 2010) doesn't seem too bad. I find just about everywhere in Myrtle beach that I've looked at the menu to be fairly decently priced, even the Murrells Inlet "tourist traps."

budwash435 wrote:
We have been staying at the North Beach Plantation the last 3 years. Traveling anywhere on the grand strand really isn't a problem as we always end up driving a decent distance at least one day out of our stay. Thanks for all the replies everyone, it definitely helped.

If you live like I do, driving 60 miles to go eat isn't a big deal. To us, driving 60 miles somewhere is like city folks driving 10 or 15 minutes to get somewhere. Driving half an hour is like city folks walking around the corner to pick up milk, LOL.

The other day we watched We Bought a Zoo with Matt Damon (the 12 year old's first celebrity crush.) We had to laugh when the kids wanted something and they needed butter for it. He was complaining, "do you know how far it is to run to the store? 9 miles!" When he came back, he holds up the bag and says, "18 miles round trip! For butter!" 18 miles round trip? Really? That wouldn't get us halfway to the store! :hysterical:

There were times my wife was out of something like butter. When I had the motorcycle, I always volunteered to ride 30+ miles just to get butter. 6 hours later I'd get home, "here's your butter." :hysterical:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:13 am 

mrodgers wrote:
The prices also have a lot to do with what you are use to in your home location. We can't eat out at crappy restaurants for under $80 unless we are only eating hamburgers for our family of 4. So, to have an awesome meal at someplace good for $70 or so (that was our most expensive meal in 2010) doesn't seem too bad. I find just about everywhere in Myrtle beach that I've looked at the menu to be fairly decently priced, even the Murrells Inlet "tourist traps."
[

Guess MB food may be a bargain if your salaries at home are much higher than salaries in the MB area. The average salary where I live is comparable to MB, so an expensive place for MB locals is going to be expensive to me. I've got some family that live in DC (actually just outside, but work in DC). The salaries they make (both with high school diplomas) are higher than most with masters degrees make here. Their housing costs outside of the city is comparable to us, car payments are about the same, so with the higher salaries they can afford to pay more for food. If you are compensated with wages that allow you to live with the higher costs of the city, then a trip to MB is going to be a bargain. Cheaper food than you are used to and cheaper gas makes for a vacation bargain.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:39 pm 

When we're there, it's more about where we want to eat - I'm on vacation, I work hard for that time off and want to enjoy myself! I'm not picky about the costs. I'm as happy with a $5 hot dog/beer at Peaches Corner as I am with a $50 meal of apps, dinner, dessert, margaritas @ Burro Loco if that's what I was hungry for that day. We've got a few favorites, but I bookmarked some places mention in this thread because I think the locals usually know where the best tasting food is! Thanks!