Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Condo Question
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:37 pm 

Hello,

I am planning a move to Myrtle Beach in the next couple of years. Even though that seems like a long ways away, I stay busy planning and scheming. :lol: I have been looking at condos on the beach on realtor.com. What is the general opinion of living in that type of setup year round? I love the idea, but I don't want to end up living in party central 6 months of the year. I am a quiet, respectful neighbor and kind of like that in return. Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Rhonda

~Rhonda

Post subject: Re: Condo Question
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

Rhonda, if you want to be in a quiet area, you should look outside the metro Myrtle Beach area. Consider purchasing in Pawleys Island, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach, anywhere north of 38th Ave in the City of Myrtle Beach, or in the City of North Myrtle Beach. These areas are more quiet. But no matter where your beach house purchase is located, the beaches are all public.

Since you asked for an opinion, at one time we thought about buying beachfront, but the negatives changed our minds.....sweeping sand out of our house every day, paying additional taxes on a beachfront residence, plus all the additional costs such as higher insurance and constant external maintenance, and walking outside the house and being hit by a sandstorm,

But that's just us, and many people feel differently. We are about 3.5 miles from the ocean now, which is close enough for us!

I hope you will hear other opinions from others who live on the beach. I'm sure there are varied comments!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:15 am 

Thank you so much for the info Patrish! I will definitely keep in mind your opinion as well as the others I (hopefully) receive. It is a tough decision! The move is still quite a ways away, but I will post as things progress.

~Rhonda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:03 pm 

Might contact local realtors who sell oceanfront condos and see if they know of any year round residents in those buildings. Maybe get phone numbers or addresses. Get some first hand positive vs negative info from them.

Several years ago we did a spur of the moment low budget trip and ended up maybe three blocks off beach in Cherry Grove. Became friends with woman that lived in that complex. Her husband had worked construction and worked on the buildings. Bought the condo pretty cheap. When he passed away she had to decide between house in Charlotte or live at the beach.........She really loved living at the beach.

Building we stay at oceanfront (Oceans) has at least one couple living there year round. Bump into them every time we stay there. Cross street to store, post office......When I win the lottery.....That's where I'll be living....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:12 pm 

Thanks for the response! I appreciate the info!

~Rhonda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:44 pm 

Saw something on last trip I had never witnessed before.
I know people live in NMB. I know there are schools and buses.....
Watched a school bus go up Ocean Blvd in Cherry Grove dropping kids off every couple blocks.
One thing to live near the beach in a beach community. Catching your school bus 100 yards from the surf......Priceless.....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:16 pm 

Now those are some lucky kids :nanner: