Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:39 pm 

Hubby and I want to retire to North Myrtle. We plan to buy a condo to use as a rental for a bit first. Then, when we retire we will move down full time. He thinks that it won't really be feasible to live in an oceanfront condo year round as the tourists, traffic, etc. would get annoying. I disagree. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:01 am 

The tourists and traffic are going to be around whether you live oceanfront or not. You have to learn your backroads and local restaurants to avoid them if need be.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:23 am 
Site Admin

I know several couples who bought a condo, rented it out, and moved into it when they retired. I also know couples who tried this for awhile and later sold or rented the condo and bought a house.

Just like buying a house, location is your most important decision. If you purchase a condo and the ultimate goal is living there, make sure you buy in an area that offers the same amenities you would look for in a house.

And be sure you and you husband are on the same page. If your husband is concerned about noise and traffic, then oceanfront is probably not the place for your retirement.

The best advice I can give you is to make your own list of what is important to each of you (distance to grocery stores and other shopping, hospitals, doctors, amenities such as sports/fitness facilities, etc/) then compare "wish lists" and spend several days doing nothing more than looking at condos. Stop and talk with people you see in the neighborhood who are out walking or in their yards. Ask questions. Sometimes you get the best feedback from might-be neighbors.

Hope this helps - and please let us know what you decide to do!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:25 pm 

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. I think the best solution will be for me to spend an entire summer in a condo (I'm a teacher) to REALLY get a feel for living at the beach full time. LOL! My husband, can just stay home and work to support me :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:24 pm 

My input will probably be a little different than most. We have been living at the beach full time for almost two years. We made a decision not to purchase a home here. After 40+years of being a homeowner we are now renters. It works well for us. At our age it is nice not to have to deal with home repairs and maintenance. Everyone is different and I know a lot of our friends back in TN could not imagine renting at all, let alone renting a furnished house. My husband is not in great health so in our circumstances it is working well for us. We got rid of most of our possessions and just moved to the beach. My only regret is we did not do this years and years ago. Our living arrangement gets even odder as we rent different places for summer and winter. For the fall and winter we rent a large house with a pool less than a block from the beach. In the spring and summer we live in a tiny condo about three blocks from the beach. I know it sounds crazy but I never want to live any further than three blocks from the ocean. We have no regrets about our decisions. We have worked this out through a local realty here in Surfside. I guess we would consider an annual rental as long as it is within a few blocks of the ocean. Most people with homes that close to the ocean want to rent them weekly during the summer. I do not find it that difficult to get around during the season. I still work part time at a go kart track near restaurant row. Actually I feel the traffic is much easier to deal with here than it was in Pigeon Forge TN where we lived for almost 30 yrs.

I guess the real message I want to pass along is don’t wait too long to make the move. I know that careers and families have to come first. I gather you are a whole lot younger than us. My suggestion would be to make the move while you are still young and healthy. Trust me, even a bad day is a good day at the beach.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

THANK YOU, Judy! (BeachLady) I have known Judy for about 10 years...since I met her here in Myrtle Beach. Thanks for taking the the time to reply to this string with your excellent advice.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:53 pm 

Yes, thank you Judy! That sounds like an ideal situation!

We definitely don't want to wait long, either. But, I feel like I need to see where each of our 3 children end up - don't want to be far from the future grandkids! :)