Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:34 pm 

Hi to everyone on this board. Its been a long time since I posted. I purchased a home in MB (in the Carolina Forest area) about 5 years ago, with plans to retire and move down in 2012. However, in 2011 tragedy struck as my wife of 26 years was diagnosed with cancer, and 6 weeks later passed away. I've spent the last 3 years working and trying to get my life back together, and now am finally ready. I retire next Monday, and will be moving down right after Easter.

First, I want to thank Patrish and all the board members for the previous postings which helped immensely relative to taxes, areas to live, etc. But now I think I really will need ALL of your help going forward as I try this on my own.

I am starting out doing this for a secondary reason, which is to take my 90 year old father in for the next 6 months rather than put him in a nursing home. My sister has cared for him the past 2 years, but cannot take him this summer. He is ok, but feeble, and is really in a situation where I'll need a lot of help.

My first and most pressing question (and there will be more), is can anyone recommend a good General Practioner that specializes in Geriatic care. He does have a Stoma thing which requires a bag and changing, but basically other than that it really is a case of one small problem after another...a lot of urinary tract infections, some skin rashes, etc....so a good GP is a must. I hate to just pick out of a phone book, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks....I have a lot more questions I'm sure. Also, would love to go to one of the meetups to meet new people, as it is certainly a little frightening heading down to a beautiful place, but myself/

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Dave, I can't tell you how often I've thought about you since your wife died. You sent me the sweetest e-mail which I must have lost because when I went to respond I couldn't find your e-mail. Off and on, I think about you and wonder how you're doing. I was so happy to see your post tonight.

I want you to contact me when you get ready to move. Wally and I would love to meet you and do whatever we can to make you feel at home in Myrtle Beach.
843-215-7338

Try this link and see if it is helpful:
http://www.healthgrades.com/geriatric-m ... rtle-beach

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:16 pm 

I know quite a few that use this place and speak highly of the geriatic care
this place provides for them, you can see on the webpage the services they
provide hope this helps you : http://www.dochousemurrells.com/

Dwight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:46 am 

Thank you both. I tried calling a lot of the numbers on the first set, but unfortunately many were no longer in service and others were not accepting new patients. But the DocHouse in Murrel's Inlet was able to hook me up and I was able to get an appt with a Doctor for as soon as my father gets down there, so I consider myself very fortunate.

Patrish...thanks for the nice note. I am coming down to work on the house next week from Tues-Sunday, then flying back and moving down permanently on April 27th. I'll give you a call next week when I am down there and perhaps we can schedule something for then or later in May,
I would love to meet both you and Wally.

Thanks again.
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:59 pm 

I don't live in MB, so i'm not much help there, but I just wanted to express my sympathy to you and losing your wife. It's a great thing that you will be taking care of your dad. best of luck!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:47 pm 

Dave,
Glad to see the Doc House was able to schedule you and I am sure they
will fill your needs well.......

Dwight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:33 am 

You have my sympathy also. Best if luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk