Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:08 am 

Hi everyone! Well, we did it! We left Ohio June 23rd. Slow moving in a moving truck with a car on a dolly...but I have to say, the dog sat on the truck bench like he'd been a trucker's passenger for years! Lol. I drove the other car. We left at 6 pm ( wanted to drive at night in less traffic) we arrived Tuesday, the 24th at 11am. We unpacked the truck....soaking wet from the heat and humidity. Turned the truck in by 6 pm. Ate at Surfside pier restaurant looking at the Ocean :cool: And promptly went to bed! Haha! We were worn out! Since then we have been setting up house, doing a few projects. I've been jumping through all the necessary hoops to transfer my nursing license. Oh, and the DMV.... 3 hours to obtain a driver's license..... :BandHead: I've been to the beach 3 times, it's wonderful. However, I have to say, there should be a parking pass for locals... paying to park starts to add up. But all in all, we are so happy to be here! And are excited to explore everything!! Just wanted to let you all know we made it! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

:cool: Life is Better at the Beach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:14 am 

That's so awesome! How long were you in the actual process before you got everything for the moved figured out?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:28 am 
Site Admin

Congratulations! Yeah, the 3 hour wait at the DMV is just a test to see if you have the stamina to live in a state where everything runs a little (or a lot depending on the season) slower than up north. You must have passed! :beerchug:

Are you in the City of Myrtle Beach? If so, you can get a parking pass (car or golf cart) that is good at any city meter, the Convention Ctr. or the Pavilion Garage downtown.

If not, you may want to purchase a yearly pass to the SC State Parks. You can go to MB State Park or Huntington Beach State Park anytime and enjoy the park amenities as well as the ocean. We've also used our pass at other SC State Parks such as Edisto State Park, south of Charleston.
http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-passport/

Please keep in touch and let us know how everything is working out for you.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:38 am 

There's plenty of free parking if you know where to look, I have never paid to park at the beach front nor when I go down by Ripley's.

I live in MB but outside the City limits so I do not get a parking pass, yet me taxes are only $358 a year being outside the City limits, of course next year will be slightly higher now that my backyard grew by 3.2 acres a few months back.

Any questions about the area, feel free to PM me and never forget how you feel now, don;t let that slip away over the years.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:10 am 

Congrats!!! I am SO happy for you!! Keep us posted on your progress!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 am 

Bud wash, we started looking for houses in Sept. Bought one in November, and that's about it, once you buy the house, you can't wait to get here. We had to wait for our last kid to graduate Highschool. Patrish, idk...I'm in Surfside, so I don't think that's inside city limits? I'm going to have to check into that, thanks for the suggestions. :sunny:
Btw- I don't know how I possibly posted this twice!! :dontknow: lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:38 am 

Thanks Gary, I will!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:17 am 

So excited for you to have made the move! And in Surfside (my favorite beach area). Keep us posted on how things go for you! I envy you!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:36 am 

MB and SSB are 2 different towns, if you address is SSB, then you most certainly do not live in MB.

SSB does, I believe, also offer residents a parking pass, yet again, you must live within the Town, and pay extra taxes to SSB. Most people who live in SSB live outside the Town and are in the County, yes it is confusing at first :)

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:06 pm 

Glad to hear you made it safely and are all settled in. I am sure you will enjoy living in such a beautiful area.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:25 am 

Oh that is great news you made it safe and sound and now will
get to enjoy the Beach Life we have here full time.......

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:53 am 

Welcome to Surfside Beach! We moved into Surfside Beach Club on the 29th of June so I guess you have seniority. We go to the Garden City Beach beach (?) for the quick beach trips, no charge for parking there. Also, as Patrish said, definitely get the State Park pass for Huntington and Myrtle Beach State Parks. We spend a lot our beach time in Huntington, beautiful beach and not usually crowded. Myrtle Beach State park is good during the week, but we avoid it on weekends.
The long wait at the DMV can be a pain, but the trip across the street to the assessors office to have your property taxes reset to a local resident definitely eases that pain. Unbelievable difference in property taxes between New Jersey and here.
Congratulations on your new home!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:48 pm 

Good for you! There are no doubt lots of members of this board who are green with envy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:38 pm 

So happy for you! (and a tad bit jealous!) Enjoy!!! =]

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:56 pm 

AZdryheat wrote:
Good for you! There are no doubt lots of members of this board who are green with envy.

Color me green...