Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Atlantic Bike Week
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:19 pm 

I pulled up Trip Advisor this afternoon and there was lots of talk going on about Atlantic Bike Week. Of course it was not good :roll: :roll: I am not posting this to stir things up, but I have no idea why a family oriented tourist town like Myrtle Beach would want this kind of publicity. I purposely avoid places like Panama City for this very reason. What family wants to see half naked women showing their A$$;s to everyone. Geee....I just don't get it! I have nothing against cyclist, but when it becomes an event that is unsafe for families to visit the area I think it is time for it to stop. I read on TA that cyclist were actually stopping traffic on 17 and if motorist didn't stop they were kicking their cars. I would be scared to death if I had my family in the car. Is there any place we can voice our concerns or is this a fight that has already been fought? I am willing to take a few minutes to type an email to keep Myrtle Beach a RESPECTABLE place to visit.

Also, I know Atlantic Bike Week is in North Myrtle in the Atlantic Beach area. Can someone tell me exactly where this is at? We stay in WIndy Hills and I thought Atlantic Beach is in between Windy Hills and Crescent Beach. Am I right? If so this is a very small area with basically nothing there but low income housing. Where are all the Bike Week vendors set up?

Post subject: Re: Atlantic Bike Week
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:33 pm 

They got that bike week down to 4 days now in hopes of trying to get them discouraged
enough to just fade away. The Naacp monitors all the business places that try to close
during that time to see if they can file bogus racial discrimination charges if they close up
as they say you were open for Harley week...Now it is supposed to be ATLANTIC BEACH
BIKE FEST, but they are spread all over as far down as Garden City and Surf Side beach..
Really not family oriented at all...the dress of them is disgusting to all...It does hurt
the family business that would come for Memorial Day Activities if the Bike Fest was
not held same weekend. So they are hoping they will find another State or location
to go ...The shooting where 3 died was related to biker people arguing of a parking spot
from what they are saying ...sad situation they bring to town..The vendors set up in Atlantic Beach but not much
there to keep them in that area so they travel at high rates of speed all over the place as far down as Murrells Inlet

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:15 am 

Black, white, blue, green, purple or orange; the color of skin doesn't matter. The behavior caught in camera before the shots were fired was nothing short of primitive animalistic. Odd that the crime rate increases ten fold for four days and no one seems to want to do anything about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:58 am 
Site Admin

I was in WalMart - one one on 501 near Coastco - and I truly had to blink to believe what I was seeing. What has happened to the dress codes? Don't all stores have the "shirt and shoes" rule? And maybe those shoppers thought the law that states "It is illegal for anyone to wear a thong bathing suit" only applied on the beach, not in WalMart? One gal was in a tight silver 2-pc. swimsuit with a short boxer-style bottom and silver shoes that had at least a 5" heel. Huh? I realize that businesses don't want to go head-to-head with the NAACP, but I don't know any family who wants to expose their kids to people running around WalMart in bikinis without even a coverup.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:50 am 

I've seen pictures and some videos from this bike week online and it's shocking to say they least. I would never bring my kids there during that time, let alone ourselves. I don't want people banging the car doors when we're just trying to get from A to B... Ridiculous.

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:27 am 

We have a family friend that basically has "partied' at clubs all over the United States. This person will fly places to go to a club. She has probably saw stuff at these events that I could only imagine. Anyway, this person mistakenly ended up in MB during the Atlantic Beach Bike Week a few years ago, and feared for her life. Said she would never go back during this week. That is coming from a person who would probably be immune to the shock factor of things she would witness during this week. If this person was uncomfortable with the atmosphere of the week, then I think I will stay away.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:16 am 

It's such a darn shame! Why can't they do anything about this??? I saw the shooting videos as well and it scared the poop out of me!! People were totally out of control. It reminded me of a riot scene. What the heck! Like Phroggy said color isn't an issue BUT behavior is...if it was anyone else doing this (guess maybe politically color is an issue) they would have been G-O-N-E...GONE!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:25 pm 

Well it made change.org https://www.change.org/petitions/city-o ... h-bikefest

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/

Scroll down near the bottom to see "A Frustrated Myrtle Beach Mayor Responds To The Bloodshed From “Black Bike Week”

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:46 pm 

the boys involved :Great Read : http://charlestonthuglife.net/2014/05/2 ... ght-beach/

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:57 pm 

Just tragic. When did it become OK to just kill someone? Why would anyone want to attend an event with so much violence! 8 shootings now. http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/25620686/8-shooting-incidents-occur-within-48-hour-span-in-myrtle-beach

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:26 am 

Location: Myrtle Beach; previously Vermont; originally Québec
We live about two miles from the downtown area, half a block west of Ocean Boulevard. We've been impacted majorly by all this. Even though our street was blocked with "No Through Traffic" signs, the bikers totally ignored them, and even threw them on the road. We were awaken in the middle of the night many times by the ugly and aggressive sound of revving motors. We saw body parts that we would rather not see. It is a sad situation when locals start wondering if they should plan a trip out of town next year to avoid all the mayhem.
As a previous poster said, it has nothing to do with the skin color of the bikers, but rather their behaviour. We've had the Harley Davidson people come over a few days before, and it was actually pleasant. My husband and I just love walking down on Ocean Boulevard, and sit on a bench and admire the beautiful bike and wave at the bikers, who like to wave back.
I just hope that something is done about all this. I just signed the petition!

Last edited by ChantalAtTheBeach on Wed May 28, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:49 am 
Site Admin

This is not a recent problem, by any means. It started years ago, and has not improved. That doesn't give me much hope for the future. For the last 16 years, I have been advising everyone I know to get the heck out of MB for a long weekend somewhere else, or don't leave your neighborhood (unless you need something really important like beer.)

I found this from 1999 and I remember it well.

>....The most vocal proponent of the traffic scheme is Mark McBride, Myrtle Beach's 41-year-old mayor, who has defended the city's policing of the event and has called for Black Bike Week to be shut down. In 1999, he asked then-governor Jim Hodges to send the National Guard to patrol the event, a request the governor declined. In April, during a legal proceeding aimed at shutting down the event, McBride said that black bikers "wanted to disregard the law, sit on top of their cars, and smoke dope." But according to the Myrtle Beach Police Department, the crime level at each event is usually about the same. This spring, actually, there were five traffic fatalities and 22 felony arrests during the Harley rally, and one death and 14 felony arrests during Black Bike Week.

Source:
http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/Nove ... vdec05.msp

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:03 pm 

I found this to be just so awesome that I thought I'd share:

Monday, we reached Atlantic Beach town manager William Booker and asked him about calls to cancel Bikefest.

"Unfortunately someone has lost a family member," Booker responded, "but there's no evidence that the people who were involved were bikers or here because of the bike event."

So the bottom line is that no one wants to take responsibility for friggin anything. Let me act surprised.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:40 am 

patrish wrote:
... I found this from 1999 and I remember it well.

>....The most vocal proponent of the traffic scheme is Mark McBride, Myrtle Beach's 41-year-old mayor, who has defended the city's policing of the event and has called for Black Bike Week to be shut down. In 1999, he asked then-governor Jim Hodges to send the National Guard to patrol the event, a request the governor declined. In April, during a legal proceeding aimed at shutting down the event, McBride said that black bikers "wanted to disregard the law, sit on top of their cars, and smoke dope." But according to the Myrtle Beach Police Department, the crime level at each event is usually about the same. This spring, actually, there were five traffic fatalities and 22 felony arrests during the Harley rally, and one death and 14 felony arrests during Black Bike Week.

Source:
http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/Nove ... vdec05.msp

However, they omit some vital facts:

1. At that time, the Harley Rally was officially 10 days long, and the "Black Bike Week" was 3 days long. Thus, the time period of those compiled statistics was 3 1/3 longer for that Harley Rally versus the "Black Bike Week".

2. The traffic fatalities also were compiled from a 3 1/3-longer time period for the Harley Rally versus "Black Bike Week". Plus, the source is very deceptive. Only 1 of those fatalities during the Spring Harley Rally in 1999 involved a motorcycle, on May 12, 1999 according to my own recollection and research - and it occurred in normal-flowing traffic when a car's driver was at fault when he ran into the back of a Harley stopped at a signal light.

In contrast, the motorcycles and many non-bikes participating in ""Black Bike Week" were mostly in almost-gridlock traffic, so they rarely could attain speed high enough to result in serious injury or death if/when involved in an accident. Their only fatality that year was a biker who was speeding on a side road, outside of the main cruising area and during mid-morning, and struck a stopped garbage truck.

3. The felony arrests also were compiled from a 3 1/3-longer time period for the Harley Rally versus "Black Bike Week". Like the traffic fatalities number, there is no breakdown of event participants versus regular felony arrests unrelated to the events. However, back in 1999 like in many previous and subsequent years, law enforcement tended to enforce laws as "usually business" during the Harley Rallies but overlooked many violations during "Black Bike Week" for various but rather obvious reasons...