Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:55 pm 

blgpts wrote:
we are going to be there may 20-23, and have never been there during bike week. We have no idea what to expect, but I have a feeling its going to take all the pleasure out of our long awaited trip. We have no experience with bike week. We used to ride a harley also, but didn't take trips with other bikers.

patrish wrote:
Lou, we're having a meet-up on Tuesday, May 22...Landshark at 6 PM. (See the Meet-Up posts.) I hope you can make it. We would love to meet you!

According to SCnow.com:
http://tinyurl.com/cby6spj

Atlantic Beach extends bike fest to run concurrently with Harley rally
>..The festival has run during Memorial Day weekend in the past, but council approved a second reading of an ordinance that will allow bike fest to go on between May 18 to May 28.
>...Myrtle Beach Harley Davidson decided to extend its Spring Crusin' The Coast Rally from May 14 to May 28.

Have these dates been changed again, or is this official?

Since we've never experienced both bike weeks being here at the same time, I have no idea what this will mean as far as traffic,

Practically everything I've seen from projected Harley Rally participants is they still plan to attend during the scheduled and official dates of May 14-20. These are and have been the OFFICIAL dates all along; the local dealer's dates of 18-28 was THEIR idea and have no recognized status at all.

Most participants are done with any activities by the morning of May 20th and either already departed or leave early that morning. Only a small number may stay through any period of time on the 20th for last-minute riding or shopping for deals from any vendors who haven't already packed it up.

The only mention I've seen of anything beyond that is what the local Harley Dealer announced (and is still advertising on their website, but have REMOVED from their store signs) of their dates that go to the 28th. Note also that this is NOT officially recognized, and NO events/venues/activities that require a permit are authorized nor planned after May 20th.

In addition, the Atlantic Beach Bikefest extended dates most likely won't gain much in the way of early attendees - so it may still appear to be the same and have similar impacts on the local area as previous years (any noticeable crowds not here until Wednesday or Thursday before Memorial Day).

Soooo - what does all this mean?

PROBABLY: The Harley Rally activity will likely be practically non-existant after May 20th - and the Atlantic Beach Bikefest probably won't have much of an impact until after May 23rd.

Thus, a visit during the period May 20-23 may not be too bad at all as far as being impacted by these events...

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, Mike. I was hoping you would see the post and help to clear up some questions that I (and many others) had about the two bike weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:19 am 

thanks mike! appreciate the info very much.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:16 pm 

Dang, here it is just before the Spring Harley Rally - and I almost forgot to do the annual avatar change to my main-ride Harley.

Done!...

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:24 am 
Site Admin

There's a long story in the Sun News today.

Whatever the calendar says, bikers hit the Grand Strand
By Brad Dickerson - bdickerson@thesunnews.com

MYRTLE BEACH -- Not sure when Myrtle Beach’s spring bike rally actually begins and finishes? That’s OK. Nobody else is real sure, either.
Horry County has been issuing vendor permits for May 14-20. Earlier this year, the Myrtle Beach Harley-Davidson dealership announced it would push its events later, to May 18-28. And, earliest of all, the promoters behind myrtlebeachbikeweek.com, one of the first places many visitors may look to online for rally dates, have been urging riders for months to show up May 11-20. That earlier set of dates could help explain why hundreds of motorcycles are already traveling up and down the Grand Strand.

Read the entire story here:
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2012/0 ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:10 am 
Site Admin

What if Atlantic Beach threw a party and no one came?

That's the headline from an article in The Sun News regarding dates for the Atlantic Beach Bikefest’s extension. If interested, read it here:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2012/0 ... rew-a.html

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:19 am 

This article confirms what I said back when the news of the extension came out, it will not have any effect as it was made in haste and too late. It was to cause trouble/controversy for the mayor and city council of MB, although it does affect NMB.

Gary