Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:14 pm 

Does anyone have any definitive information on the 2012 HD Bike Week and the HD Crusin' the Coast Spring Rally? As well as The Atlantic Bike week?
Dates? What areas are usually impacted the most?

There are a lot of different stories I'm hearing regarding the "Cruisin" fest overlapping the Atlantic week. To me this sound like trouble.
Trouble meaning - insanity traffic - double the crowds. :BandHead:

We're staying in the Cherry Grove section from the 19 - 25th. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:12 pm 

The dates are as have always been, the confusion is the Harley store is going to hold things Memorial Day weekend, this is at the store only and is to end Saturday, not go until Monday

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:52 pm 

Thanks Gary. The information highway has a lot of MIS-information. Seems to be a lot of people and websites confused over bike week.
This is our first trip to MB. What can newbies expect from being in town during bike week? We are going to be in the Cherry Grove section.
Is it the norm for NMB to get traffic from this? I have a 3 yr old son and am a little concerned about the noise factor as well.

when I think of bikers, i tend to conjure up images of old Billy Jack movies lol.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:21 am 

As Gary posted, it's only the Harley Dealership's owner who wants to hold different dates that would overlap the Harley Rally into the Atlantic Beach event.

So far, various organized biker organizations, the vast majority of bikers otherwise, and most local politicians are opposed to the idea.

The Horry County and City of Myrtle Beach politicians will be discussing this issue further in committee hearings next week. Some want to react with drastic measures - while the reasonable ones who realize that this was basically a one-man effort to overlap the events want to basically just stay with the original events' plans and special event/vendor permit dates that would keep the 2 different events separate and with a short break between them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:36 am 

JimB70 wrote:
Thanks Gary. The information highway has a lot of MIS-information. Seems to be a lot of people and websites confused over bike week.
This is our first trip to MB. What can newbies expect from being in town during bike week? We are going to be in the Cherry Grove section.
Is it the norm for NMB to get traffic from this? I have a 3 yr old son and am a little concerned about the noise factor as well.

when I think of bikers, i tend to conjure up images of old Billy Jack movies lol.

Personally, I feel a lot of the misinformation stems from the fact that there are TWO completely different and separate events referred to as "the bike weeks".

Here's an exact quote that I posted on at least one local media forum recently - it explains further, despite being rather "politically incorrect":
----------------------------------------------------------------

"...Regardless - EXCLUDING RACE AND AGE - the so-called "bike weeks" are 2 completely separate and different events. Let’s KEEP them separate in order to allow EACH event to be viewed, judged, and ACTED ON based on its own separate merits:

The Harley Rallies are almost 100% biker participants and 100% motorcycles as their event-use vehicles. They mostly travel back and forth between approx 100 events and venues all across the Grand Strand. There is NO trash, and the vast majority of participants are cordial, respectful, and law-abiding. Traffic congestion is sparse, just minor slowing in spots but traffic still keeps moving - traffic is actually heavier during Easter week, Spring Break, "Senior Weeks", and many summer weeks.

The Atlantic Beach "BikeFest" is only approx 10% bikers and 20% motorcycles as their event-use vehicles - the vast majority are NON-bikers in cars, SUVs, etc. They mostly mass from Atlantic Beach and Myrtle Beach's Ocean Boulevard/side streets by the tens of thousands, creating almost complete gridlock - as they have no events outside Atlantic Beach, their event IS the Ocean Boulevard congregation. It features MASSIVE trash, CONSTANT outrageous conduct in public, and widespread direct disrespectful actions to others. It's NO LONGER a "bike week" - it's now an "Urban Event" that replaced Atlanta's forced-out "Freaknik" for those who don't go to Florida..."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:40 am 

Sounds better all the time. When I first heard about the third event I thought it was the Harley Owners Group holding a rally. A few thousand maybe. Compared to past Bike Weeks. Nothing to worry about.

Now it sounds more like a sales event for the dealer. That won't be bad at all.

Stick with your plans Jim....I'll buy ya a drink at the pier........

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:32 am 

I read this "sassy server" article a few days back. She writes about serving bikers in the restaurant where she works. I must admit, I was a little surprised by the article. This seemed like a good time, (and place) to share it... check it out.. you'll enjoy it.
http://myrtlebeachrestaurantnews.com/myrtlebeachrestaurantnewsarticles/food-bytes/2466-the-sassy-server-myrtle-beach-bike-week-from-a-servers-standpoint.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:38 am 

Great thread folks. Thanks for all the responses. "Freaknik"???? wow. I had the misfortune of getting caught up in that even back in the day when it was held in Chicago. Was not a good time at all.

Pop2748 - Thank you so much for all of your insight. Like I said, we were on the fence, Im glad we'll be keeping the orignal plans. A drink indeed - on me!

Blgpts - Great article. Thanks for posting!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:48 am 

Cherry Grove will be pretty free of bike traffic, you will be fine and I would like to get in on the drink :)

Lou, my daughter worked at TGIF's in the Inlet summers and spring break when going to Clemson, she took off from school 2 years, for bike week to come home and work, as she could make $200 and more per shift, thus picking up a Grand or so for 40 hours.

Back in the day, when we were busier during Bike Week, my old high school buddy from Jersey ran Suck Bang Blow and the least a girl made there was $5K and one gal made $6.5K, they worked day and night, not just 40 hours.

I know last year one biz which I will not name, took in over a Million for the 10 days, yes you read that right.

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:02 pm 

Everyone has a different take on bike week. Atlantic Bike week is much different from Harley bike week. Was there for Atlantic Bike Week one year in 2009. Never, and I mean Never again. Here is an excerpt from my trip report that year...

Quote:
"Saturday dawned iffy weather wise again but actually got better. The week flew. We decided on Angelo's for our last night and we had never been. This is when the Atlantic Bike Weekend really effected us. We took the new highways almost all the way down and then crossed into MB. The bikes where everywhere. I am a Harley girl and I have no problem with bikes and bikers. Great folks, most of them. This was LOUD even for me. NonHarley bikes have a different "sound" and this one aspect got on our nerves by far. The people were all fine but traffic was out of control and they were just hanging out on every corner. We would definately not go this week again. No offense it just wasn't for us...sorry.."

Needless to say we was extremely happy we were leaving the next morning (Sunday) and missed the bulk of it. Again, this was just "our" experience.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:35 am 

We'll be there the week between the events. Same as last year and couple other years. If things go as expectecd the Atlantic Week participants should start trickling into the area later in the week. Might see a few on Wed. and more on Thursday.

Won't be enough to be a problem. Just enough to catch your attention in a good way. These will be the "crotch rocket" style bikes. Not your garden variety off show room floor bikes. Stretched out drag bikes with after market paint jobs.
At least once you'll ask yourself. "How does she stay on the back of the seat?" or "How does that bike hold so much weight?".
Other than a few "cruisers", most should be more to center of the Strand in MB. Way south of Cherry Grove.

Our gameplan will be to schedule any trips to south end for early/mid week. If things pick up Thurs/Fri to where we're uncomfortable out and about we'll lay low on Sea Mountain. Be on the road north Sat morning before the madness begins........

Last year we stayed farther south in the Shore Drive area. Place had bars and such that attracted "partiers". Our first night was last night for Harley Week and it was wild. By noon Sunday there was little evidence of a bike week. Week was typical beach atmosphere until Friday night when Atlantic bikers started checking in. Most trailer their bikes to the event so traffic in front of parking building was clustered up that night.
I expect no problems at all in Cherry Grove.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:07 am 

So what are the exact dates for Atlantic Bike Week? We are thinking about a trip June 2-9, 2012 with 4 kids and we don't want to be there during Atlantic Bike Week.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:57 am 

mom2mycowgirls wrote:
So what are the exact dates for Atlantic Bike Week? We are thinking about a trip June 2-9, 2012 with 4 kids and we don't want to be there during Atlantic Bike Week.

The dates are May 18-28. The town recently decided to extend the dates - but starting sooner, and still ending on the planned date.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2012/0 ... es-to.html

It will certainly be well over by the time of your visit. You'll probably encounter some of the youth-oriented activity from the first group of the "Senior Weeks" crowd who just graduated or finished a year of high or college, but it's absolutely nothing compared to the Atlantic Beach Bike Week...

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:03 am 

we are going to be there may 20-23, and have never been there during bike week. We have no idea what to expect, but I have a feeling its going to take all the pleasure out of our long awaited trip. We have no experience with bike week. We used to ride a harley also, but didn't take trips with other bikers.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:54 am 
Site Admin

Lou, we're having a meet-up on Tuesday, May 22...Landshark at 6 PM. (See the Meet-Up posts.) I hope you can make it. We would love to meet you!

According to SCnow.com:
http://tinyurl.com/cby6spj

Atlantic Beach extends bike fest to run concurrently with Harley rally
>..The festival has run during Memorial Day weekend in the past, but council approved a second reading of an ordinance that will allow bike fest to go on between May 18 to May 28.
>...Myrtle Beach Harley Davidson decided to extend its Spring Crusin' The Coast Rally from May 14 to May 28.

Have these dates been changed again, or is this official?

Since we've never experienced both bike weeks being here at the same time, I have no idea what this will mean as far as traffic,

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall