Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:31 am 

I'm editing Alan's first post to alert anyone who can come that the meetup will be at Travinia' Italian Kitchen at The Market Common. I'll also post a stand-along message in this string.

Patrish

Thursday 6:30 PM
The menu:
http://traviniaitaliankitchen.com/main2.htm
Directions:
http://www.marketcommonmb.com/directions.html

If I'm counting right there might be at least five members in town that week.
Just a suggestion to be kicked around. Since beach music has been such a big part of discussions on here lately. How about something the first part of week (Sun/Mon) in NMB at one of the events Ed has told us about?
Maybe for anybody interested. Dinner at Duffy Street. I'm due for new frisbee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:27 pm 

Just returned home from the meetup... While the John clan was not "officially" on the docket for attendance, we had kicked around the idea. Unfortunately, Katie ended up having to work pretty late. So she and the kids stayed home and I went stag to the shindig at Market Common.

Patrish and Wally always continue to exude class and dignity. They are a fun loving couple who love to attend the meetups and get to know people as neighbors, preferring to know peoples' real names and faces instead of just screen names and avatars. We love them a lot. Enough said!

Elaine and Mike were also there, along with their son Marc. They live about 10 minutes outside Akron, OH; automatically qualifying them as great people... Elaine and Marc work for the same industrial company back in Ohio. I am sure that pays dividends when wanting to save money on gas when traveling back and forth to work, or when looking for a lunch buddy. Donna, you'll be happy to know that Marc was one of two people who took the advice and ordered the Sinatra Chicken. He must have enjoyed it, as he was the first one to clear his plate.

Mike works full-time for Goodyear, and "part-time" serving the peace in law enforcement. I must say that it makes me feel good to know that such a nice, frank, and upstanding person works to keep a massive company like Goodyear running on the technical side. But also knowing that he works so hard and many hours to keep the public safe, ensure that businesses are not peddling alcohol or smokes to minors, and keeping people's stuff out of the hands of others who don't own it is an awesome bonus. As a guy from a military family, and whose grandfather was a cop for the Whitehall PD, I don't feel that public servants like Mike can ever get enough credit or thanks for what they do. Just don't get him started on Time Warner... :shock:

Also present with the family was Elaine's father, Lester. He was such a gentle soul and delightful person. Although he was a quiet guy, you could tell he was soaking it in and chimed in at times in the conversation. What I can tell you is that Lester doesn't like to play golf, and grew up on a farm before going into industry and also becoming an electrician. So he may not join you for your two rounds on the links... But I am fairly certain that by the time you return home, and with some help from Lester, your garage could be transformed into a hay baler that is operated by your automatic-door opener.

Obviously Alan & Ruann were also there, and were as genuine and awesome as ever. They were definitely enjoying their time down here and away from the daily grind. Considering that college football is only a week away, we discussed his West Virginia Mountaineers (I know... SHOCKING!! :lol:). I won't bore you with the details of that conversation. But needless to say; we knew our stuff. :mrgreen: I have enjoyed the times I have gotten to catch up with these two, and hope to see them again soon. Maybe, say, in a couple months??

Not to be forgotten, Cheryl made a brief appearance to say hello. I believe they were in between two other things on their schedule, so unfortunately she was not able to stay long. But she had missed out on meetups in the past, and wanted to be sure to stop in. We were glad she did.

In the end, fun was had by all. As is usually the case with these things. Hopefully you'll be able to attend one in the future. I am sure you'll benefit from them, like we all have... Good night!

"You can go become a tiger, a bear, a lion, or any other animal that is a mascot at schools across this country. But there is only one place in this world you can become a Buckeye. Are you ready to be a Buckeye?" ~Woody Hayes, addressing a new recruit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks to all of you who made the effort to get together at Travinia's Italian Kitchen in the Market Common tonight.

The newcomer tonight was Elaine (Happy) from Wadsworth, Ohio, along with her husband Mike, their son Marc and her father Lester. This is another family who fits right into the mold of other message board members who could easily be part of your extended family. Elaine and Mike were high school sweethearts who married and had 4 children - a daughter and 3 sons - and now they have two grandchildren. (See Brett's post above for more details about this delightful family.)

It's always good to see Alan (pop2748) and his lovely wife Ruann. This is their second trip to Myrtle Beach this year, and they have returned to their "roots" in North Myrtle Beach. As some of you will recall, they stayed in Garden City last May. As it turns out, on this trip they are right next door to Elaine and Mike.

We missed seeing Katie, Noelle and Kylie tonight. Unfortunately they had to stay home because Katie's work got in the way of her time, and a deadline prevented her from being at the meet-up. But if you've already read the post above, you'll see that Brett was there to represent the family, and I was so glad to see him! As I mentioned earlier, I had to miss a couple meet-ups in July and I was especially looking forward to seeing some old friends tonight. I missed you, Katie, but thanks for sending Brett! He's a real sweetheart and I'm glad I got some time to chat with him.

We had a surprise visitor tonight. About halfway through dinner, Cheryl (17S2MBSC) surprised all by dropping by to say hello. As many of you know, she has been posting her trip report this week. While her husband went to the gas station, she took a few minutes to drop by and say hello. Good to see you, Cheryl!

You'll notice there are no pictures. I took my camera, but as I've told everyone in the past, if your pictures are not good, I won't post them. The only good picture I got tonight was of Brett and I decided he would not want it posted without including anyone else. Hopefully Alan and Ruann or Elaine and Mike will post links to their pictures from this vacation.

The staff from Travinia's Italian Kitchen did an excellent job tonight, so I wanted to say thanks to them. They seated us in a very nice private room with lots of atmosphere. I ordered the Sinatra Chicken, thanks to Donna's suggestion. Wally had the Lasagna which both of us have enjoyed there in the past. The service and food were both very good, and I think the others enjoyed their meals too.

Thanks again to all of you for coming to the meet-up tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:12 pm 

Thanks Brett and Patrish for letting us know how things turned out. It's always interesting to read about peoples get togethers. Until next year, Cathy