Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:27 am 

There are a number of other activities in town this weekend (bluegress festival, Gettysburg College commencement, antique show downtown), but the buffet is able to accommodate us (I called and they penciled us in) so we should be fine. And being MB regulars, the crowds shouldn't bother us at all!

Here's the link for the restaurant. Group rates are: adults are $8.50 and students under 15 are $7.50 (cheap by MB buffet standards). This includes hot and cold food and beverages, taxes and gratuities.

http://www.generalpickettsbuffets.com

Some places to check for hotels, if you can't get one in Gettysburg, would include Chambersburg, York, Hanover, Carlisle, Harrisburg, or Mechanicsburg. All are within about 30 minutes of Gettysburg (no more than a trip from one end of MB to the other).

Here's who we have so far. If your status has changed, please post.

Definites:

Alan (pop2748) and Ruann - 2
Ron (myrtlebeachbum), Mary and kids - 4
Laura (nillachick) and Paul - 2
Cathy and Rich (shirtman) - 2
Ron (ichiban) and Phyllis and Eddie - 3
Dawne, Frank and kids - 5

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

Last edited by Dawne on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 31 times in total.

Post subject: Meet-up photos
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:28 am 

Here are some meet-up photos from Gettysburg. The only two I never got a photo of was Eddie and David.

http://flickr.com/photos/myrtlebeachbum ... 117126334/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:59 am 
Site Admin

Ron, thanks so much for posting your pictures! I talked to Ron (Ichiban) yesterday and he tells me everyone is having a great time. I'm looking forward to some trip reports! :nanner:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:44 pm 

Awesome, Ron! Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:09 pm 

patrish wrote:
Ron, thanks so much for posting your pictures! I talked to Ron (Ichiban) yesterday and he tells me everyone is having a great time. I'm looking forward to some trip reports! :nanner:

I was wondering if you would get back to him, after the message he left you?! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:39 pm 

It was great meeting everyone at our first meet-up! I have photos, but haven't had a chance to upload them yet, but will soon.
We had a great time, and look forward to going to more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:57 pm 

Glad you all had a good time. Wish I could have made it. Anyone going to be in MB July 26 - Aug 1?

Ocean Isle Beach, with visits to MB
1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2008 AND 2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:57 pm 

Ichiban wrote:
Ron, she finally called me back 2 hours later. She said she was too busy to waste her time talking to me :???: . She'll sing another tune when we start our Gettysburg message board :toofless:

Can I be a moderator on the Gettysburg board? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:48 pm 

Just got home about 8 tonight and had a great time. Ron (ichiban) was right. Rich and I did arrive at General Picketts early but only 1/2 hour and I was hungry. I wasn't even sure i would be going to Gettysburg until Sat morning because I was very sick all day Friday- feverish, gastro-intestinal, you name it I had it but felt alot better come Sat am and decided we could still make it. So yes Ron, I had not eaten since Thursday evening.

When we got there I told the lady Dawnes first and last name and she looked confused and I said approximately 18 people and she looked around and asked are you all sitting together? I said yes. She still looked around and then she checked the list again and asked myrtle beach group? I said yes and then she didn't understand where everyone was so I explained we all drove separately from different parts of the US and asked if we could just have a seat and wait and we did. The poor woman looked very confused. She said all groups usually arrive at the same time so I guess us 2 broke the rules.

When I saw Ron (myrtlebeachbum) and his son walk in with a Flyers T shirt on I nudged Rich and said we'll know on Sunday who is in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Either the Penguins or the Flyers. We are big Penguin fans living in southwestern Pa.

I knew pretty much everyone except Laura and Paul who sat with us and were easy to talk to. Laura has been going to M Beach for a very long time sine she was a child so she has made alot of trips. She and paul are ejoyable to talk to.

Eddie, Icibans grandson seems to make friends easy. He and Dawnes son David hit it off. We were told we had to leave the table by 1 pm so we all talked outside for another hour or so. Got to talk more to Dawne, Frank, and her older son. I offered a Penguin hat to her son or to anyone else who wanted one, even Ryan, myrtlebeachbums son but he did not want it.

Later that evening went on a ghost tour walk on seminary ridge in Gettysburg with Ron and Phyllis and Eddie, and Ruann and Alan. I enjoyed the stories. Started to rain the last 10 minutes of tour but took cover for awile and didn't get too soaked. Ron's grandson Eddie wasn't scared but Ron was walking behin us a ways. I think e got scared and was crying. Or maybe Rich and Alan were tripping him because I was walking by myself alot of the time and didn't know where Rich, (shirtman) my husband was! Ron, I'll give Rich _ _ L L for tripping you! Phyllis, make sure Ron recovers and you have my apologies.

We got up early 7 am Sunday, and headed home about 4 pm. Today we had more rain, then sun then rain, one of those days. Went to Devils Den (Richs former home) until he met me, did some shopping , spent 2-3 hours in visitor center/ museum ate lunch. Came home and right above my house there was a rainbow but no pot of gold. I'll post pics this week with the other pics. Also the Penguins won!!!! Had a great time especially spending extra time with Alan and Ruann, Ron, Phyllis and Eddie. Cathy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:56 am 

Here is some of our photos from the gettysburg meet up

http://www.flickr.com/photos/richandcat ... 5143337113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing your pictures! I loved seeing everyone together, looking so happy!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:54 am 

I enjoyed the pics.

Thanks for sharing,
Deanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:20 pm 

Finally, I have some time! I didn't get on the message board when we got home and then David got sick (stomach bug and fever - maybe from Cathy? :twisted: ) and he's been home all week. Then Frank's mom (who basically lives on our couch) had some serious issues and ended up in the hospital, and has a 4-6 week rehab stint to look forward to. She may then go live with Frank's sister, who has a bigger and more open house.

Anyway! What a great time we all had! I would highly recommend General Picketts Buffet for anyone wanting a good place to eat. The food was good, although PA Ron didn't find any ribs. They must be on the supper menu.

We were scheduled to meet at noon and arrived about 11:50 and met Phyllis in the parking lot. NY Ron and Eddie were inside so we chatted for a while, then PA Ron and his family showed up. About then my phone rang. It was Cathy. "Where are you?" I was surprised when she said they were already seated so we found Debbie, the hostess, and she led us to our tables. Soon Alan and Ruann showed up, and then with the addition of Laura and Paul, our group was complete.

Cathy mentioned we had to be out by 1:00. Debbie had come over around 12:30 and asked if we'd be done because they needed to clear up for another group at 1:00 but she was very nice about it and I think she would have made other arrangements if we wanted to linger. However, we were all about done eating anyway and decided to "take it outside", where we spent the next hour standing in the parking lot and chatting. The weather was gorgeous!

My family had met everyone but Alan and Ruann, and Laura and Paul before. It was nice to finally meet them, and to catch up with "old" friends.

David and Eddie hit it off as soon as we were in the door. In fact, David was at one end of the table with Eddie and the rest of my family was at the other end of the table. Afterwards while we were talking in the parking lot, the boys were running around so I suggested they make sure it was okay with NY Ron and then go run around in the field next to the restaurant. Of course, being boys, they found a puddle to jump in, and managed to splash Sarah and Brittany in the process. Sorry girls!

Sarah and Brittany spent some time together with their Nintendo DS's. I'm not sure if Kyle got to talk to Ryan much. I did ask Ryan if he's driving yet since he's 17. He says his parents won't let him take the test; his dad (PA Ron) says Ryan doesn't want to. Hmm, who to believe? Of course, I've been near Allentown where they live and have seen and been in the traffic. I'm not sure I'd want to drive there either. :shock:

It was so great to catch up with everyone and hear the stories that were told. I have some pictures I hope to post at some point, but our lives are in a bit of upheaval at the moment. This message board family is just so wonderful. It's amazing that a bunch of people with only a vacation destination in common to start with can get together (some driving 9 hours to do so!) and become instant friends. MB must attract the best people in the world, because I can honestly say I've yet to meet anyone I haven't felt an instant rapport with.

EDIT: I forgot to say that after the meet-up we went to the new Visitor's Center. I have one word: WOW!! This is a definite must-see, and we didn't see it all. We had to leave to get Kyle home for a Boy Scout event. We wanted to check out Little Round Top, where we understand the landscape has been restored to Civil War era vegetation (trees taken down and others planted, etc.).

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

Last edited by Dawne on Thu May 29, 2008 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:29 pm 

Made it home around 6:30 this evening. Little over a week away but feels like it's been a month. Took the "don't do anything at the beach" approach to a whole new level this trip.

Rich,
Is that the picture from Ghost Walk that had all the swirls on it when Cathy took it?
Haven't looked at ours close other than putting them on the TV to show kids. Some of ours have several white spots. Are those the "orbs" you guys talked about?

After Ghost Walk we drove out Seminary Ridge like a couple of idiots. Very dark, creepy and erie. Drive slow and the headlights show all sorts of shadows. Speed up, the lights flash off the trees so fast you keep thinking "what the **** was that?" I kept thinkig if the car quit, which way would I run?
She wouldn't roll down window to take pictures. I was driving with one hand with other one taking pictures. No way was I going to stop.
Back at motel. Ruann stayed outside for few minutes. I went in. Only light on was in bathroom. Room still dark. Walked by TV and hit power. Took few seconds to come on. About the time I reached up with back to room to close curtains the TV came on. Room lit up in one bright flash. At same time there was loud scream. I just about jumped out the window. Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker in Rush Hour II was on the tube.
I was ready to leave Gettysburg right then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:32 am 

Alan, That is the building on Seminary Ridge that I took the first picture of. Did you see the swirls on that building in my camera? The swirls still show in my camera, only on that pic but when I posted it no swirls appear. That night when I moved my camera up toward the building I noticed all these moving white lines, about 8 of them in the viewfinder before I had my camera pointed to the building so it was not the lines from the bricks and concrete. Next time I'll have to drive thru the park at night or walk thru. Cathy