Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:47 am 

We'll meet at the Coastal Grand Mall Food Court at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, August 9.

Some of the people who will be in MB, besides the locals, include:

Chapy
Leslie (ldsm63)
Della (kerplunk)
MrsD108
mbuterba
Toni
Greg (sparkieg) - perhaps
Elegant
Chris, Marsha and Dakota (cmandd)
Cathy02
ScubTech
Me and my gang :lol:

The food choices include:
Auntie Anne's Pretzels
Charley's Steakery
Chef Smitty's
Chick-fil-A
China Express
Marble Slab Ice Cream
Quizno's Classic Subs
Sansei Japanese
Sbarro the Italian Eatery

Per Patrish's great idea on another thread, bring along your used paperback books to swap for others. We'll put them in one place and you can take as many as you bring.

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

Last edited by Dawne on Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:52 am, edited 19 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:18 am 
Site Admin

A bunch of old friends got together last night to welcome new friends into our MBMB circle.

Since the temperatures have been in the 90s all day for several days, Dawne's choice of Coastal Grand Mall's Food Court was perfect.

Della (kerplunk) is registered nurse who was born in Zanesville, Ohio. She married Bill almost 22 years ago. They were here tonight with son Adam and daughter Amber. Della is a long time member of our board, and I was happy to finally have the opportunity to meet her family.

Miriam is our newest resident. She and her husband purchased a beautiful new home in the Seasons community, off 707 in Murrells Inlet. It was a pleasure to meet her. Miriam is a Special Ed teacher, and her husband travels for his pharmaceutical job. They chose their new home for it's amenities catering to the 55 and older group, and plan to make it their retirement home in the future.

Chris, Marsha and their son Dakota (cmandd) from Big Island, VA celebrated their first meet-up with us tonight. They have been long-time members and I was looking forward to meeting them. They both contribute to the posts with the username of cmandd.

Craig (Chapy) his wife Mandy were at the meet-up, along with their two children Sloan and Walker. Forrest and Sandra (Mandy's parents) seem like message board members too, since they attended last year's meetup and keep with with the board. This family, from Roanoke, VA (the Star City of the South) is always a pleasure to be with. Happy birthday to Sloan who turned 11 yesterday!

We even had a surprise showing last night! Bob (BobL) his wife Mary, sons West and Vern and daughter Theresa. As many of you know, Bob purchased one of the live-work units at the Market Common, and of course they are excited about the progress taking place there. It is always a fun to talk with any member of this family, and I am very happy they took the time to join us last night.

Dawne scheduled this meet-up, and it was a fantastic choice. Anyone who regularly reads posts on the board knows Dawne, and probably thinks of her as someone they would love to have for a friend or neighbor. She comes across in person just as she does on the board. A sweetheart you feel you've known all your life only 5 minutes after meeting her. Frank (her husband) along with their children Kyle, Sarah, and David are staying at Lakewood this year instead of Ocean Lakes. She will tell you all about it in her trip report! Kyle, of course, has his own identity on the message board where he is known to all as mandude741. I'm sure we'll hear from him too with his views on their vacation (and why he changes his residence from time to time.)

Our core group, the members who live here and try never to miss a meet-up are the glue that hold us together and makes us more of a family unit. Last night that group consisted of Bob and Bonnie, Katie, Brett and the girls, Noelle and Kylie, and Leo. Charlotte was sitting in an airplane, trying to get home, and we missed seeing Colleen and Brian who were absent due to Colleen's work schedule.

Thanks to everyone who showed up last night. I am sorry I did not have more time to spend with each of you. I know everyone is, by now, tired of hearing what a fantastic group of members we have, how well-behaved their young'uns are and how, without fail, the children interact so well with other children. I'm always amazed by the individuals in every meet-up groups. We start off with a common love for Myrtle Beach, and before long these people become good friends.

Here are a few pictures. I had to trash several due to bad lighting or (more often) bad photography. Many other members had their cameras, so I'm sure we'll be able to enjoy more photos as the are posted. Thanks again to everyone who made the effort to be at Coastal Grand last night. The meet-ups and trip reports are the heart of our message board.

Bob and Mary's son West and their daughter Theresa:
http://www.funbeaches.com/8-9-07/west.teresa.jpg
Miriam, Bonnie and Dawne, looking a paperback books to exchange
http://www.funbeaches.com/8-9-07/miriam ... .dawne.jpg
Bob (BobP) me, Chris (cmandd)
http://www.funbeaches.com/8-9-07/bob.patrish.chris.jpg
Brett talking with Adam and Amber (Della and Bill's son and daughter) Frank and Chris are in the background.
http://www.funbeaches.com/8-9-07/brett.adam.amber.jpg
Della and Bill (kerplunk)
http://www.funbeaches.com/8-9-07/della.bill.jpg
Forrest (Chapy's father-in-law with Chapy and Mandy's daughter Sloan:
http://www.funbeaches.com/8-9-07/forrest.sloan.jpg
Marsha (cmandd) chatting with Wally:
http://www.funbeaches.com/8-9-07/marsha-wally.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Last edited by patrish on Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:31 am 

Argh! I missed the paperback swap??? That one just about threw me over the edge! :cry:

Well, looks like everyone had fun!! Patrish, I have a suggestion for you to get better pictures...

Just buy a camera like Bruno's :twisted:

I'm hoping at least SOMEONE got some Marble Slab ice cream for dinner!

Oh my God...Does my ticker actually say 24 days 'til my trip to MB? YIPPEE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:20 am 

I was telling Marsha last night, since we're the parents of two toddlers, we don't get out very much (except to the grocery store), so these meetups are our social life. It's such a blessing and a joy to spend our precious few social hours with such genuine and sincere people as we have on this board. You all add something special to our otherwise dragging work week. I wish I could see you all more than once a year. But I'll take what I can get.

It was exciting to finally meet Chris, Marsha, and Dakota. What an awesome family. You can just walk right up to them (yes, even Dakota), and jump into a conversation like you've been friends for a really long time. They have some quality about them where you don't feel nervous, shy, or uncertain about what to say. I love that. Dakota is awesome. What a great 10 year old. He behaved himself so well.

I was thrilled to see Della and her family. Brett was also thrilled, because, well, they're from Ohio. Need I say more? Della is a sweetheart. You just want to hug her! I'm so glad she decided to come, since I know she's a little shy. It's always so great to finally have a face to go with the person you've come to know. I hope we get to meet again in the future!

Miriam is adjusting to life down here now that she's moved. I got to talk to her a little about her house and all the struggles of getting it completed and problems fixed. It really sealed the deal for me that our first house is going to be an existing home!! haha! I don't know if I could handle the stress of building a home down here. But I know once she has everything squared away, it will be worth it and a wonderful retirement home. Hang in there, Miriam!!!

Craig (Chapy) and Noelle had an interesting conversation last night. Brett was out of hearing range and chatting with Della's family. Craig took the opportunity to ask Noelle if she really liked Ohio State, or if Daddy was forcing her to. She replied with, "I have Brutus in my room!!" He said, "Do you like the Hokies?" She just stared at him. He said, "Can you say Go Hokies?!" She replied with a very stern and serious look on her face, "I don't say that." Brett was tickled pink when he heard about it later. What a great laugh. Sorry, Chapy. You'll have to keep working on her next year! :lol:

Dawne and her family are always great to hang out with. I love them all very much and look forward to seeing them. Noelle has fallen madly in love with David (well, as madly as a 3 year old can fall in love. HA!!). She chased him all over the food court. The poor little guy couldn't catch a break. He was a good sport, though.

Bob's daughter Theresa was once again my totally wonderful babysitter... playing with Noelle and Kylie and keeping them busy and out of trouble. They need to move here, so I can hire her!!!!! :notworthy:

Last night was our very first meetup book swap. I now have enough reading material to last me all winter! This was a fun little side thing to do at the meetup. What a great idea.

I hope everybody had as much fun as we had!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:53 pm 

Hi all-
I had a really great time last night. It was fun to meet the people in the group!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:38 pm 

Okay, so we've heard it all a million times before. And there will come a day in the future (next week) when someone WHO WASN'T EVEN THERE will post a reply on a meet-up thread and pretend to have been at the previous night's gathering. They'll say that the people were "the best", that they felt like they've "known them for years even though we just met last night", the "kids were so well behaved", and "does Ron (Ichiban) always sound like he was hit too many times in the head as a youngster?"

This goes to show you that everything that can be said about the message board members has probably already been said. And now we've reached a point where perfect strangers can sound like us. Now that's scary.

So in the interest of not contributing to repetition, and because Patrish and Katie have already so eloquently described everyone, I'll let those comments stand without any additional embellishment. As I was telling someone last night, I've been to enough of these that the emphasis has become less about meeting new people and more about extending friendships that already exist.

In any friendship, particularly when it's new, you move from the "how do you do?" stage to the "who the heck are you?" stage. You begin to learn things about people that you didn't previously know, and with that knowledge comes a greater appreciation for your new friends.

For example, let's take Chapy (Craig) and Mandy.

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 2/original

I think you'd agree that they're in the top 5 of Most Photogenic Couples on the Message Board. I've also heard from inside sources that the women of MB2 think Craig is a, and let me quote here so I don't mess this up, "hunk of burnin', burnin' luv".

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 8/original

Up until last night I didn't know why. But then Mandy confessed that Craig is a native New Englander (Vermont) who only transplanted himself to Virginia because he knew the women of the south were hot and the men of the south were -- well -- not. That put him at a competitive advantage and the rest is history. There you go. The answer to how photogenic couples are made; you have to cross-pollinate.

Mandy's Mom and Dad were there as well, the lovely Sandra and Forrest.

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 3/original

Both are natives of Virginia. See there? My point is proven. Sandra -- really hot. Forrest -- southern guy.

Nah. Just kidding! Forrest is a stud. Sandra and Forrest were incredibly nice people. Sandra admitted to being an MB2 lurker and knows way too much about message board trivia to stay a lurker for very much longer. Actually she was the one who asked me whether Ron (Ichiban) was hit too many times in the head as a youngster.

Nah. She didn't say that. She likes Ron. He's from the north. Like mother, like daughter. :-)

Next we have Chris and Marsha and their son, Dakota. Again, just super nice people.

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 1/original

And you'd go ahead and believe that about them, too, unless I come clean and confess that Chris is just a smidge disingenuous. Chris is doing a live trip report from Myrtle Beach this week. You all remember the story he told from Tuesday about how he "lost" his camera at River City Cafe. We all felt terrible about it, too. Even me. So I'm standing there talking to him last night and he's got this awesome looking brand-spankin' new Canon S300-freaking-Porsche-of-a-camera dangling around his neck.
Quote:
Me: "So. That is one fine camera you've got there."

Chris: "Oh man, yeah! It's got 6 megapixels, image stabilization, no shutter lag time, and a hemi! It takes such clear pictures that the people in the photographs actually MOVE!"

Me: "Wow. Bet you really miss that old 3 megapixel camera. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink."

Chris: "What? Oh! Yeah, that was really unfortunate."

It was the smile at the end of the sentence that gave him away.

I think it was BobL who later suggested that the pictures in the memory stick from Chris's old camera may mysteriously show up in next year's trip report with the date hacked. Heh heh. Nice work, Chris. Don't worry. Your secret is safe with me.

I ran out of time before I could get some good intel on the others last night. Spared were Miriam:

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 0/original

... who is apparently the Senior Regional Marketing Manager for Sbarro. I told her three times to put the cup down before I took the picture and she still managed to have it front and center.

And Della and Bill from Zanesville, OH:

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 4/original

Della and Bill were the VERY FIRST message board people from Ohio to attend a meet-up without wearing ANY Ohio State University-branded gear. They don't look very happy in this picture because Brett had just stripped them of their Ohio citizenship, shouting words like "treason", "unconscionable", and "closet Michigan LOVERS!" I had to bonk him with his KFC leftovers to get him to stop.

And, of course, there's Dawne and her family. Here's Kyle, Sarah, and Dawne.

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 7/original

Kyle is 28 years old. No, not really. He's 14. But you would've swallowed the 28 story had I not said anything, right??? RIGHT??? I know! Look at him! The guy has facial hair and I'm pretty sure he has early onset prostate problems just like me. Amazing! Dawne told me her kids have to mature earlier than most because they live in a very remote part of Pennsylvania where electricity hasn't yet been discovered and therefore she needs strong bodies to pull the family mill stone. Kyle, Dude. Mission accomplished!

So my night last night was enriched in so many ways by finding out new and interesting things about my new and old buddies from around the country. I no longer spend my time at these meet-ups trying to determine if people from the message board are classy. That goes without saying. Now instead I'm on a mission to figure you all out; to get in there and find out what really makes you all tick and get to the bottom of some of those great quandaries of the human condition.

Like exactly how many times DID Ron hit his head as a youngster. Never fear. I'm working on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:15 pm 

Once again thanks for posting pics from this meetup. Great to put a face with a name. Chris, I can tell by that smile on your face you're very happy to have that camera hanging around your neck. I think Dakota sure looks like his mom.

Della and Bill, you 2 sure have guts for not wearing any Ohio State gear, being you are from Ohio. Don't let Brett's ear lashing get you down.

By the way, I was there with you guys last night ( in my thoughts only.) Another good time was shared by all.

Until next year,
Cathy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:32 am 

To simply repeat what has been said about everyone we had a chance to say "Hi" to at the meet-up would be repetitious...duh! I can't even begin to attempt to match what Leo said or how he said it. So, just let me recall the famous words of Elaine Benes to sum it all up, "yada, yada, yada", and I mean that in the nicest way.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up."
Jim Valvano 1946-1993

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:49 am 

Once again we missed the meet up- but we did have a really good excuse!
We ended up in urgent care- what a rip off- my daughter had strep and grandaughter had pink eye. I said the pool looked like a petri dish waiting for a target and it found 2 of ours.

Glad everyone had a great time - luckily you had a cool place to have the meet up it sure was sweltering last week. It's only supposed to be 85 here in Ohio today- might need my sweater. :lol:

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:04 pm 

We had a nice time at the meet up the other night. It was great to meet Miriam, who is adjusting to life in MB by looking for friends and struggling with builders. Miriam will do just find on both fronts as she seems to have the NY cultural and social sense as well as the fire to deal with any major real estate developer's lawyers...go get em Miriam!

I met BobP and his wife Bonnie who seem to have a great laid back style which is serving them well as they adjust to life in MB. It was my pleasure to meet and talk with them.

I met Chris and Marsha for the first time and their son Dakota. They were very nice to bring Dakota over and introduce themselves and thier son to Weston.

I am sorry I didn't get to speak with Bill and Della and their family although I wish had. I always enjoyed Kerplunk's contributions and would have loved to speak with them.

I caught up with Dawne and her family as well as Craig and his extended family, both of whom I had met at meet ups last year. They are super nice people and their kids are extremely outgoing and personable. Sloane...I hope you got everything you were hoping for at your birthday celebration! And Walker...don't forget what I told you...tape is cool! (inside joke) And David...I think he has a future in the banking industry with the way he had the money moving in the crowd!

Wally and Patrish....you already know it is great to see you again and thank you for becoming nice friends of our family.

It was great talking to Kate and Brett and seeing their girls again. Teresa loves to play with them at the meet ups. Brett good luck with your career
moves within HTC. Did you ever consider that have a ZERO on your hat all the time might be slowing your advancement path? Oh wait, I forgot that stands for Ohio State! Only kidding, I though Leo might like that one!

I realize that maybe I have attended one too many meet ups. When I read Leo's commentary of the meet up and I get only a cursary mention in a quote line I realize that I have either pissed him off by not calling him to golf (I promise I will next time) , he realizes that I have been selling all his great wildlife photographs to national geographic society as my own and making a killing!, or he has run out of things to say about me since I have been to too many meet ups! Leo, it was great seeing you again!
See you at the next meet up!
BobL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:56 am 

Just a short note - Jenny, myself and her friend Renee didn't get a chance to attend the meet-up as planned due to some scheduling conflicts. We simply ran out of time Thursday trying to get everything done and setttled before we realized it was almost 630pm and none of us had had a shower prior to dinner.

I sincerely apologize to all because I did want us to try to attend the meet-up. But trying to check in, get settled , do the grocery shopping thing and everything else that needs doing on the afternoon/day of arrival just got the best of us Thursday.

Jenny, Renee and myself did get to see Brian though on Friday night. We stopped in at Belches n Burps for a few minutes and made a few purchases.

I'll post a trip report when I can get all my notes in order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:45 pm 

We missed the meet-up. :cry: One week in MB is just not enough time !! Hope we make the next one.

Cathy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:19 pm 

I am so sad that I have never been able to attend a meet up. But it makes me happy to hear all the lovely things my mb2 members say about each other. I know you all would like "me" too............

Kathy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:09 pm 

BobL, Sounds like you have a great sense of humor and don't feel too bad about Leo not writing more about you. Sounds like you have a great sense of humor. I didn't notice a picture of you so now I'll just have to imagine what you look like. Be thankful though Leo didn't take your picture if your camera shy. He has that gigantic lens on his camera and it shows everything. Ugh!!! Hope to meet you and your family someday. Cathy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:28 am 

This meet-up was awesome and a really great one to attend being our first time. I (Marsha) had been hesitant about attending meet-ups in the past thinking that it might be awkward, but I was so wrong about this. Everyone that I talked to was incredibly nice and easy to talk to like you had known them forever. The only bad thing is that there were so many people that you didn't have a chance to talk to everyone equally. I have to say how impressed I was with all the kids because this is always something that stands out to me. I work in the public school system here in an elementary school plus teach Sunday School at church. The kids at the meet-up were just great and I think it says a lot about the people on our message board.

Anyway, I am happy that we took a "chance" and attended a meet-up. I really did feel like I was in the company of friends. I would never think of being in Myrtle Beach ever again and not attending a meet-up. The unfortunate thing is I am not sure when our next Myrtle Beach trip might be because we plan to take Dakota to Disney on our Spring Break in March. Hopefully, we can make it back to Myrtle Beach sometime in 2008 because if we don't I might suffer from withdrawal.

Thanks again to everyone we met for making this meet-up so enjoyable! :lol:

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/ctmorris
http://www.RisingPhoenixHealthandFitness.com

Oct. 2003, 2004 - Caribbean Resort
Oct. 2005 - Breaker's Paradise Tower
April 2006 - Crown Reef
December 2006 - Landmark Resort
August 2007 - Dayton House
November 2008 - Monteray Bay
April 2015 - BayView on the Boardwalk
Oct 2016 - Bay Watch Resort NMB