Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meet Up June 28
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:27 pm 

How about a meet-up Thursday night at 6:30 at Coldstone Creamery? I know my kids love to eat their ice cream so would be easy talking them into a meetup there.

Those attending so far:

Ouida
basketlady
Jeff
Colleen
Katie
Leo

(Edited by moderator on 6/21/07)

Whispering Sands Condos - 2000
Dayton House - 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007
Arcadian Dunes - 2005
The Waterforde - 2006
Inlet Pointe - 2008

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:56 am 

I think I may be the only one in a position to comment on the meet-up last night because Colleen is working, Jeff is without a laptop and his computer in Ohio apparently is being taken over by alien forces from the planet Zoombah so we may not be hearing from him for quite a while, Ouida is tearfully packing up for the trip back home today, and Katie and Brett are speeding toward Columbus, Ohio even as I type.

So there's just me. And evidently I could write ANYTHING about last night and there would be no one to refute me. Like that Brian, Colleen's husband just back from his Africa trip, showed up to the meet-up wearing a full-sized, stuffed rhinoceros head.

But seriously. Who needs to make stuff up about the great people of the message board when the truth is far more compelling?

We were scheduled to meet at 6:30 PM at Cold Stone Creamery originally but Jeff (JeffInStarkCo) called me the day before and mentioned that his sisters were staging a birthday party for him at Key West Grill at 7:00 PM so he suggested it might be good to try to meet earlier. I suggested he just invite me to Key West Grill and feed me. Well, he wanted none of that (who can blame him?) so I arrived shortly after 6:00 and spotted Jeff and his roommate, Anthony sitting at a table in front of Cold Stone. You know how you get an image in your head of someone based on correspondence even though there's no real evidence to suggest any image at all? Well that was me. I figured Jeff to be sort of a Jeff Foxworthy guy (maybe the name "Jeff" had something to do with it). And of course, as nearly always happens, he was nothing like Jeff Foxworthy.

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 8/original

Jeff is one of the sweetest men I've ever met. He has a very serene air about him as if when everything else is going crazy around him he's sitting in the midst of the only peaceful oasis, one of his own making. Jeff recently lost his Dad and is still coping with the grief that type of loss brings but had I not already known about it, I'd have been hard pressed to sense he'd gone through the least bit of trauma. He's funny, engaging, a great conversationalist, and clearly cares about others. Jeff is a funeral director in the Akron/Canton area so I'm sure his personality greatly benefits the families he deals with on a regular basis.

Fun facts about Jeff: He's the only person I've ever met who doesn't like Clearwater, Florida. That's like saying you hate hot dogs. It's nearly un-American. He spent almost a year living in Florence, Italy and learned enough about art history while there to be conversational with people at Manhattan parties that talk funny, like "The Italian Renaissance is supposed to begin with Giotto and burst out with Masaccio, right? I mean, what's up with that?" You need people like Jeff around so when folks at parties start in on you about Masaccio, you have someone around to slap them silly. Jeff's our art history go-to guy.

Anthony is a clone of Jeff. He's quiet, but he has that twinkle in his eye that tells you he's intelligent, deferent, and caring, just like Jeff. He also creates absolutely amazing origami. He had this bemused look on his face for most of the time we were together as if he couldn't believe Jeff was actually hanging around with people he met on the Internet. Or maybe Anthony thought the Renaissance burst out with the Medicis. Not really sure.

Anyway, here are Anthony (left) and Jeff:

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 7/original

Oiuda (Mabby) and her family showed up at 6:30. Oiuda needs a new avatar because she looks a whole lot better dry in person than she does dripping with water in a pool in her avatar. Ouida is from Calhoun, Georgia, right outside of Dalton, GA. Dalton is a place you may not have heard of except that if you're walking on a carpet today you probably touched a product whose origin came from the little town of Dalton. Oiuda has the cutest southern drawl of just about anyone I've met so far. She drips with southern charm and it's completely sincere. Her husband, Chris, who runs a tire store and probably couldn't care less about message boards, had that same look that Anthony had -- "Why are we here again and who are these strange people?" But after a minute or two we were talking like old friends. Ouida and Chris love the same restaurants we do (Carolina Roadhouse), doing the same things we do (laying on a beach, wandering around Broadway at the Beach), and rooting for the same sports teams we do (Boston Red Sox). Okay, I made up that last thing. But it's good to know that despite being from a completely different country with a completely different language (Georgia), we can all end up loving the same things.

Ouida's two boys, Matt and Austin (15 and 14) were off to explore BatB but daughter Brooke stuck around and entertained Noelle and Kylie. Like so many of the other families that have attended the message board, Oiuda and Chris are the kinds of people you wished you had as neighbors.

Here are Ouida, Chris, and Brooke. Oiuda, honey. New avatar.

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 9/original

Katie and Brett and the girls were there. Kudos to them for even showing up. They left the next morning (today) at 4:00 AM for Columbus to visit Brett's parents for the 4th of July week and they were still in the chaotic packing the van/getting the house ready/making sure they didn't forget anything mode so it was a small miracle they could make the time to show up. Here's the happy family. Notice the look on Brett's face? Is there anything that says, "Ahhhh. In only two more days I'll be trodding the cement corridors of the Ohio Stadium horseshoe where hopefully the Buckeye magic will wear off on me and I'll win the Powerball lottery and be able to buy more clothes that have OSU insignias on them" more?

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 0/original

And here's Katie with Kylie. Notice the look on Katie's face? Is there anything that says, "Ahhhh. In only two more days I'll be trodding the cement corridors of the Ohio Stadium horseshoe where hopefully the Buckeye magic will wear off on me and I'll win the Powerball lottery and finally be able to buy Brett clothes that have anything BUT the *STUPID* OSU insignia on them" more?

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 1/original

Finally we have Myrtle Beach's newest residents, Brian and Colleen. Brian just returned from Africa and rumbled into town with the last of their belongings from Pennsylvania on Sunday night. He's unemployed right now and living in his sparkling new mansion in Myrtle Beach while his wife goes off to work each day to support them -- a set up we men can only DREAM about. Brian is my hero.

By the way, Colleen admitted to me after her sugar high from her "Pie Who Loved Me" Coldstone sundae that she really isn't sub-human and she actually did have a small alligator tear running down her cheek when she pulled out of Pennsylvania. So to all you people who sent me emails and PMs questioning her humanhood, relax. She's normal. Mostly.

Here's the happy couple:

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 3/original

Yeah, I know. Brian DID have that goofy "I can't believe I live here now" look on his face all night. Of course we could only see it AFTER he removed the full-sized, stuffed rhinoceros head . . .

Last edited by traderboynh on Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:23 am 

I am sooo bored that I've been checking the site all morning for the meet-up recap!

I love the picture of Katie and Brett and the girls!!! Look at that smile on Noelle's face, she is too precious!!

That picture of Colleen and Brian...Whoa! Move over Brad and Angelina, there are two new stars in town!!! (I love it, you guys are so cute!)

Looks like fun was had by all! Now, all the next meet-ups need to be held some place else than Coldstone. I suspect Leo has had one of every confection that's written on the menu. I mean, come on, give the guy a break here! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Leo, thanks for posting your always humerous and intuitive meet-up review. I loved the pictures, and I am so sorry I could not be there with everyone.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:21 pm 

We had a great time at the meetup. I went home and intended on typing a response before bed, but I was SO tired and only made it through one sentence before giving up and going to bed. I'm mean, seriously... I need my beauty sleep, right? Unfortunately, Brett woke me up at 1:40am and said, "Eh... you look fine. Now let's get to O-H-I-O!!!!!!!!!!"

It was so good to see Brian again. It's about time that slacker got himself down here! Poor Colleen has had to hold down the fort for long enough (hee hee! Just kidding!)

Ouida was nothing like what I expected. She was way more awesome!!!!! So friendly and charming. Oh, and by the way, I was totally in love with the dress she was wearing. I MUST have one of those. It looked supremely comfortable for hot hot summer days (which is what it was last night). Ouida's daughter had brought along her special bear, which she created at Build-A-Bear when she was 2 years old. Every year they come to Myrtle and buy her bear a new outfit. I thought that was the coolest little tradition. I love it. I love seeing parents building special memories with their kids, because I know how precious my own childhood memories are to me now that I'm an adult. I hope the little bear continues to get a new outfit every year (because like all good female bears... accessorizing is of utmost importance).

We got to chat with Jeff for awhile before he was whisked off to his birthday dinner. What a great guy. Dad really summed up all the information we gleaned about Jeff, and left nothing for me to reveal! Darn it! All I can say is that I think Jeff is fantastic, and I really enjoyed getting to know him for the 45 minutes we spent with him. Anthony was a dear too. He spent the whole time folding paper while he talked. I didn't even know what he was doing until he handed two perfectly formed origami cubes to Kylie and Noelle (which they played with for the rest of the night).

Happy Birthday, Jeff! :cool:

Ok, I have to go to bed now. My eyes are a magenta shade of bloodshot. I've been up since before 2am. My hair looks like I stuck my finger in an electrical outlet. And I have about 7 hours of beauty rest to make up. I'd better get going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:44 pm 

Mabby,

Leo is right...you look so different from you avatar. Oh, and I love the dress too. Cute..Cute.. You guys are a beautiful family. Can't wait to hear your report.

Off topic...but I passed through Calhoun the other day on my way to Dalton. My mom is moving and we had to get carpet at Hank's and then hit the showplace. It really is a small world.

Deanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:37 pm 

I want to thank everyone for taking time out of their BUSY schedules to meet up with us. Colleen had a very busy day and still came out and Katie was packing for a trip... enough said. You guys are wonderful! We didn't get to stay long enough. My kids were very restless. I felt bad that we had to leave so quickly. Maybe next year we will sit down and eat somewhere. I have found that if my kids have food in their mouths, they are much less whiney and more tolerable.

We met Leo and Katie and Brett who are the nicest people in the world. Not a big surprise there. Katie's little girls are just precious. So cute! I thought it was just surreal to meet you guys after looking at your pics online. Thanks for the compliments on my dress. GAP outlet (if you have one there) has lots of cute sundresses.

I was excited to meet Colleen and Brian as we have rented from them and have corresponded a couple of times. Such a nice down to earth and friendly couple... Thank you for taking the time to meet us Colleen, I know you were so busy.

And btw Jeff - Happy Birthday!! Sometimes my son Austin gets to have his birthday at the beach also. Too cool! It was great to see you!! You look like you are doing well. Hope you had a good time celebrating.

I missed seeing Patrish and hopefully we will meet you in the future. I hope that you are doing okay. We didn't get to spend enough time talking with everyone so maybe next year we can spend a little more time with everyone, and get to meet you and Wally too.

Leo - I am going to try harder to get our pics up and maybe a new avatar. I think that pic is 3 or 4 years old!! And I must look different with dry hair and probably 20 extra pounds. Ugh!

Hope you all have a great summer!

Ouida

Whispering Sands Condos - 2000
Dayton House - 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007
Arcadian Dunes - 2005
The Waterforde - 2006
Inlet Pointe - 2008

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:19 pm 

Mabby, Leo and Katie, Thanks for the meetup report and Leo thanks for the pictures. I always enjoy looking at them. Mabby, you look like a different person in your picture. Leo is right. Cathy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:42 am 

Wow

What a great way to spend a birthday...Dang it, Leo..I hate it when people make me blush!--Geez, I'm so humbled. In all sincerity (shh, don'y tell my siblings) meeting you guys was the best birthday present ever :lol:
As we agreed to meet at 6pm...anal rentative Jeff was there with Anthony in tow at 5:50, wondering did they forget?...Shortly thereafter, I recognized Leo as he rounded the bend of Seahorses for $.50, Trudy's House of Taffy and That 70's Store, for much regale. I regret the visit was so short, but I cherish the quality over quantity.
I think we has such a nice meetup with: Leo, Katy & Ouida and all our our "personnel". About that invite to Key West Grill, Leo, ...well I saved the last bite of NY strip for you:) In all honesty,should have invited y'all. If not even giving you guys the chance to meet the rest of my family (Crosses chest, wink wink (all in fun) ) that says "You're meeting people on the internet, Here?""I've heard stiries from Stone Phillips on Dateline.

OK I need to sleep ..I will do a trip report..I promise

In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina
Can't you see the sunshine
Can't you just feel the moonshine
Ain't it just like a friend of mine
It hit me from behind
Yes I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind
-James Taylor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:33 am 

traderboynh wrote:
clothes that have anything BUT the *STUPID* OSU insignia on them"