Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:03 pm 

We will be in Myrtle from Sept. 1-7 (leaving the 8th). I would love to meet anyone who will be in town, locals and visitors, at BATB Celebrity Square fountain Thursday, September 6 at 7:00 p.m.

...Lena...

Last edited by ladydayton on Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

We had a wonderful meet-up tonight!

We arrived a few minutes before 7 and looked around to see if we recognized any of the people sitting on the benches at the Celebrity Square fountain. I heard someone call my name, and realized it was Karen (Kish73.)

If you recall her earlier posts, Karen mentioned that her husband Danny was more than a little concerned about meeting "people from the Internet." Both of them were shy, she said. But because Karen has been a long-time participant on our board she insisted he humor her and come to Broadway at the Beach tonight. After meeting and talking with Danny, I have come to the conclusion that there is not much he wouldn't do for Karen. This couple seems to be as much in love as they were when they got married 34 years ago. Maybe more. They are thoughtful, friendly, happy with their life and their faith...and very proud of their son and their granddaughters. In a nutshell, Danny and Karen are the people you would choose, if you could, to be your parents, your neighbors, your grandparents, your friends. We are blessed to have Karen as a part of our message board family. I'm still wondering why she called him "Charlie" as they got ready to leave, but maybe she will explaim that in her trip report!

Lena (Lady Dayton) and John were a delight to meet! For some reason, I thought Lena would be older, and I was surprised when this young woman came up to us and introduced herself. This is another couple I hope all you regulars will be able to meet someday. They were on vacation to celebrate John's recent accomplishment of earning his Master's Degree in Aerospace Engineering. Lena and John live in Maryland, about 40 miles south of Washington DC. where John works for the Government. It was a real pleasure to meet them,

Katie was here by herself tonight. Kylie is teething, and anyone who has ever produced a child will know what's coming next....Brett was left at home to care for the girls. (I missed you, Brett!) Katie gets prettier every time I see her. For any of you who have not been privileged to meet Katie, she is, in person, exactly as she comes across in her posts. Unpretentious, friendly, and a totally delightful young woman. I always look forward to seeing her at our meet-ups.

Annie and Bruno. We are so fortunate that you found our message board. As many of you know, Annie and Bruno live near Quebec, Canada. Annie is bilingual and Bruno will carry on a conversation with you in either French or English. They love Myrtle Beach and have become "family" to several people on or message board. As for Wally and I, they have wormed their way straight into our hearts. They are bright, funny and simply a delight to be around.

We didn't take many pictures tonight, but that's because everyone else had cameras - so stay tuned to this forum. They will be posting their photos as soon as they can.

Here's the group. Danny and Karen, Katie and me, John and Lena, Bruno and Annie:
http://www.funbeaches.com/group9-6-07.jpg
Lena and John:
http://www.funbeaches.com/lena-john.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:41 am 

Today was one of those days at work where I felt like someone had body slammed me repeatedly on the pavement. I sat at my laptop frustrated, stressed, cranky, and ready to hurl myself out the window. What better salve for my bruised and harried emotional state than an evening out with my dear friends... old and new!

Kylie has been cutting molars, so I didn't have much desire to drag a miserable unhappy baby out into public. Brett was gracious enough to stay home with the girls. After kissing them all goodbye, I shuffled out to the car and spent the 10 minute drive to Broadway muttering irrationally to myself about the evils of work and how life would be so much better if I could lay on my couch all day and be fed grapes. I was still in "grrrrrr" mode when I got to the fountain and sat on a bench. Then I turned around and saw Patrish and Karen. I felt the whole stressful day just melt right off me in about .8 seconds... forgotten forever. With my big dorky grin, I ran over to meet them.

Karen and Danny are just about the dearest people you could ever wish to meet. I can tell they are wonderful grandparents. I think I'd like to make them honorary grandparents of my own children! They are currently enjoying a "semi-retired" life by working 4 days a week and then spending 3 day weekends camping in state parks in their new camper. (I've got a little jealousy going' on over here!!). Danny is shy and apparently almost drove off the road in shock when Karen told him about the meetup. But I'm truly glad he came, because I really enjoyed getting to know him. Karen has been battling illness for many years, but bless her heart, she carries herself with so much grace and strength. I could almost swear she was glowing. Or maybe that's because it was getting dark, and she was sitting near the neon lighted fountain! LOL! I don't know. In any case, it took me about 10 minutes of conversation with Karen before I realized I really admire and respect her.

Here are our newest MBMB2 "family members"...
http://www.pbase.com/katiejohn/image/85166347

Wally and Patrish were there, and the big shocker of the night... Wally was NOT wearing one of his Wither's Preserve work shirts!!!! Holy cow!! My world is ASKEW!! :shock: I almost didn't recognize him! Kidding :lol:. Wally usually comes to the meetups straight from work, so he's always in his work polo. Today he had the day off and got to choose something else out of his closet to wear. Amazingly, he has tomorrow off too!! Lucky guy!

After drooling over Bruno's stunning camera...
http://www.pbase.com/katiejohn/image/85166349

... Wally decided it was time to give up on real estate and make a name for himself in photography...
http://www.pbase.com/katiejohn/image/85166350/large

I chuckled and asked Patrish if she was sure she had set the camera to "camera" and not "video" before giving it to Wally. hee hee!

Lena showed up next with her husband, John. Lena is an absolute sweetheart. I am so blessed by her friendship, and it was wonderful to finally meet her in person. John is an uber-intelligent guy. He just finished his masters in something along the lines of aerospace engineering. My memory is failing me now, but it was something like that... or maybe it was genetic engineering or brain surgery? I don't remember. But in any case, I was a little intimidated standing near so much brilliance and intelligence. I almost wanted to ask for his autograph! Congratulations, John!! And don't worry... I will restrain myself and not ask for your autograph. (But if you feel the inclination to send me one, I can provide you with my mailing address! hehehehe)

Lena and John...
http://www.pbase.com/katiejohn/image/85166346

Annie and Bruno showed up last. They are lucky enough to be here for almost two weeks. That's a real vacation in my book! Two weeks in paradise! They are enjoying themselves. I was thrilled to see them again. Bruno did a pretty good job keeping up with my chatter. Half the time, I forget that English is a second language for him, and I jabber at top speeds like a maniac (sorry, Bruno!!). Annie's vacation was clouded a little bit when they went to Ryan's, and there was NO banana pudding left!! HORRORS! Someone needs to send that girl a recipe for banana pudding.

Annie and Bruno...
http://www.pbase.com/katiejohn/image/85166345

Here's a picture of our whole group (except for Wally, who took the picture, and is now booking photo shoots at reasonable rates)...
http://www.pbase.com/katiejohn/image/85166348/original

Brett sends his apologies for missing this wonderful gathering. Kylie would apologize too if she would stop gnawing on everything in sight for one moment. I just noticed one of my flip flops has teeth marks in it. Great.... that's juuust great...
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:12 am 

Ok, so I won't be original by saying that we had a great time last night!Note to self: if you're going to stand around for two and a half hours, wear running shoes, and not cute sandals!

Moving on...

Let's start with Lena and Jon. These two are simply adorable! They seem to be having a great time in MB, even if they are leaving tomorrow. Lena explained to us how she had convinced Jon to come to the meet-up. Apparently, they met on the Internet, so she said : "Honey,I met YOU on the Internet, and we got married". After that, well, he didn't really have a choice, did he? They were a pleasure to talk to, but I wish I can spend more time talking to them in the future!

Karen and Danny. They are sooo sweet!Karen listened to me rambling on and on about Pixie and Wally-Gator, I'm actually surprised she didn't shush me! Seriously, you know when you meet people and you instantly get along with them, because they are so easy to talk to? That's Karen! She told me stories on how Myrtle Beach used to be "separated" by beahches, like Cherry Grove and OD (I think). She also told me the horrifying story of when she "met" a shark in the ocean for the first time in 1982. Yep, that scared the crap out of me. Her advice:Do NOT swim near piers!

As we were getting to leave, Bruno started to carry a conversation with Danny. He told us stories about Hurricane Hugo and how a shrimp boat was sitting in the middle of the 17 Bypass! Bruno does this everytime we try to leave. He goes on and starts talking to someone else. To tear him away is practically impossible!

Katie was alone last night for the reason mentioned before. Poor Kylie! And poor Katie, her workday took a toll on her, but she still looked beautiful. I'm jealous! I love Katie. Katie is the kind of person that could be my best friend. She is so nice and caring and funny. I love spending time with her (and even though Brett wasn't there last night, we had met him previously this week, and he's also great). And the girls are way too adorable for words!

And finally Patrish and Wally. We have a very special relationship with those two. We just love them. We always look forward to be in MB just to see them. Wally patiently listened to Bruno while he was showing him pictures of our front yard (sigh!).It's hard to describe Patrish and Wally because everyone already said what needs to be said. They are caring, and sweet, and nice, and...I know, you heard it all before. Although, I suspect Patrish is trying to steal Bruno away for one of her upcoming trips, so he can carry the camera and take pictures!

We had a great time and we made new friends. I'm very thankful for this message board! Look for the pictures when we come back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:38 pm 

Wish I could have been there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:19 pm 

Great pics as always, looks like you ALL had a good time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:26 pm 

Thanks everyone for the report and pics. Cathy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:21 pm 

Sorry I'm just now commenting, but we just got home today. Wow, what a trip!!

This meet-up (although my first) was so great! You know when you're in the company of great people when, upon first meeting you feel compelled to hug, well everyone.

Patrish and Wally were the first people I saw, and they are so lovely. Patrish and I had a wonderful conversation, I felt as though I was monopolizing her time, lol. She is the kind of person you want living next door to you, so you can have those great conversations across the fence.

Katie is an abosolute dolly. So funny and sweet. I can't even begin to tell you how glad I was to finally meet her. We are the same age and have much in common. Wish Brett and the girls could have been there, but we'll see them next time.

Annie and Bruno are such wonderful people. We talked as though we had known each other forever.

Karen and Danny are exactly as everyone described, people you could so easily talk to and adopt as your family.

I promise I will post our pictures soon. Jon said to tell you all THANK YOU for the wonderful words and congratulations on his masters. Katie you were right it's in Aerospace engineering. Also he said he would be glad to send you an autographed picture of himself, just send a self adressed stamped envelop and a $5 handling fee, j/k.
We had a wonderful time and can't wait to see you all again, and meet everyone else, too!!!!

...Lena...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:29 pm 

Sorry I am so late in posting this, but I figured better late than never! :lol:

We went straight to Broadway At The Beach from Bass Pro Shop so we arrived a bit early. Found a bench and decided to do some people-watching. Just before 7:00pm, I spotted Patrish and Wally. I called out to Patrish and we went over to introduce ourselves. What can I say? It was like meeting someone you have known forever! :sunny: These two are the epitome of Southern Hospitality!!!! They immediately put us as ease and made us feel so welcomed! Danny had been quite apprehensive about the meet-up, but I noticed after talking to Wally for five minutes he had relaxed and was enjoying himself. He later had the chance to sit and visit with Patrish and he told me that she, too, had made him feel welcomed and relaxed. I asked him later if he was sorry that I had dragged him to the meet-up and he said “No! I’m glad we went.” I asked if he would do it again and he said of course he would! :nanner: :nanner: :nanner:

Next came Katie! What a delight to meet her! :cheerleader: Leo, you have raised a beautiful, accomplished young woman! While we were disappointed that we didn’t get to meet Brett and the girls, we were thrilled to meet Katie! As Patrish already said, she is exactly the same in person as she is on this board… bright, witty… and totally puts one at ease! Danny also had the chance to visit with Katie as well and was most impressed with her! And Katie, we’d LOVE to be honorary grandparents to Kylie and Noel! I sure hope Kylie is feeling better now and that the teething process is getting easier on her.

Lena and John arrived next. What a darling couple! :cheerful: John was like Danny… apprehensive about meeting strangers Lena met on the internet. But how could he deny her the opportunity after they met over the internet? I could tell by the end of the evening that John had relaxed and was enjoying himself! Congratulations to John on earning his master’s degree in Aerospace Engineering!! :ac15[1]: We are so happy we got to meet you both!

Annie and Bruno arrived at last! Annie kept me in stitches with stories of the adventures of Pixie in preparation for the trip to MB and of her escapades in MB. :mrgreen: And I learned the story of how Wally Gator got his name! :bounce: And yes, Annie, OD is correct (OD = Ocean Drive)! Annie and Bruno are the type of young adults that makes us ‘older’ adults confident that we will be leaving the world in good hands when we are gone. :sunny: And they make you feel comfortable from the very start! It was such a joy meeting them both!!!!

I sure thought we took more pictures than we did. Here’s what I have:

Karen, Patrish, Lena, Annie, Bruno, and Wally (Guess John, Katie and Danny were taking pictures!)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13508679@N07/1385160809/

John, Lena, Annie, and Bruno
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13508679@N ... 026943393/

Karen, Patrish, and Lena

Annie, Bruno, and Wally

As one who was very nervous about attending my first meet-up, and with a spouse that could not believe I’d even think of going, let me say that if you haven’t attending a meet-up, GO!!! We had so much fun!!! And we both are looking forward to next year’s trip and meet-up! :nanner: :nanner: :nanner:

Karen in Upstate SC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:22 am 

Holy cow, what is wrong with my smile on one of these pictures??? Can you tell I LOVE showing off my teeth now! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:31 pm 

Annie, you have a beautiful smile! Nothing wrong with showing it off! Let those pearly whites shine! :lol:

Karen in Upstate SC