Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:23 pm 

Okay since our vacation is gettng closer and closer I will go ahead and post a time and place for the meet up.

Tuesday, June 12th @ 6:00
River City Cafe
404 21st Ave N.

We would love to meet all of you locals and all the other vacationers that will be down there that week.

Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:56 pm 

We just returned home from the meet-up, and yet again this one did not disappoint. We enjoyed good company with our usual group of locals (Patrish & Wally, Leo, and our wonderful newbie Colleen), as well as friends from the great state of Ohio. I ask you: What better way could you spend an evening than with Cleveland fans?? :nanner:

We had a good time, despite a few rumblings about bad onion rings. Lisa & Eric were marvelously polite, and hoping to move down at some point. Their son Daniel was quite a talker, and both he & Michael noticed right away that I was wearing an Ohio State jersey (I like when it's easy to make friends...). Lindsie seemed to enjoy sharing toys with our girls, and didn't seem to mind that Noelle wanted to monopolize her toy Dora & siblings. Halie was seated at the other table, so alas I missed her this time around. Maybe at the Ohio meet-up! Eric and I empathized with each other about trying to get a job while hundreds of miles away, and discussed HTC as a possible employer. (I heard that hissing, Leo!! Back to your cage! :whip2: )

Anyways, Lynn and Rich were quite nice as well. Rich and I only talked briefly due to seating arrangements, and mostly spoke of the Browns and the Cavaliers. But hey! What more is there to talk about really? :cool:

I have to mention again how incredily funny Wally is. The guy cracks me up!! It is wonderful to have him at the meet-ups, and I am so glad he and Patrish try to make it to so many of them. Leo was there with his camera once again, and Colleen was a delight as usual.

We all seemed to have a blast, and I hope that you'll all consider a meet-up the next time you're in the area. Next up, Ohio!! See ya' in less than three weeks!! :mrgreen:

"You can go become a tiger, a bear, a lion, or any other animal that is a mascot at schools across this country. But there is only one place in this world you can become a Buckeye. Are you ready to be a Buckeye?" ~Woody Hayes, addressing a new recruit

Post subject: What a fun night!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:25 pm 

Ohhhhh what fun!!!!! Tonight was another wonderful chapter to add to the growing "MB2 Meet-up" book. I know you’ve all heard this before, but to me it was like getting together with old friends, even though I had never met Lynn, Rich, Lisa, Eric and the kids. I think it's totally amazing how MB2 members seem to gravitate to each other, get along wonderfully, and find similar interests and life experiences to share. It just doesn’t matter where you’re from, what type of job you do, how many kids you have, what kind of car you drive, or which college football team you root for. (I believe I hear Brett chanting “OSU…OSU…OSU!!!â€

Last edited by beachxcape on Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

I only have 3 photos to post tonight, but Leo had his camera and I promise that he'll come along here soon with his side of the story.

I had already met everyone who was there tonight except Lynn and Rich (lgaukin). Lynn has been a member since she joined the "old board" 7 years ago, so you can only imagine how happy I was to finally meet her. Lynn is just as sweet and sincere as she comes across in her posts. As we were planning this meet-up on the board, Lynn was not sure her husband Rich would come with her. When I quizzed Rich about this, he denied it all. "I go where Lynn goes" he told me as he grinned. Rich, it was real pleasure meeting you, and I hope we'll be able to see you again! Here's a picture of Lynn and her husband Rich:
http://www.funbeaches.com/6.12.07/lynn-rich.jpg

I met Lisa, her husband Eric, and their 4 delightful children at a Broadway at the Beach meet-up last August. When I saw them tonight, I was amazed at how those kids have grown! Wow! It was wonderful to spend a little time tonight catching up. As it turns out, Lisa and Eric would love to move here, and all the children support this decision. In the meantime, they are enjoying their vacation and Lisa will tell us all about it when she writes her trip report. Here's a picture of little Lindsie looking at the camera, Brett, and Katie who is talking with Daniel and Michael.
http://www.funbeaches.com/6.12.07/group.jpg
Look at Katie, our wonderful "incredibly shrinking woman." Isn't she beautiful? I know it takes a special effort to attend the meet-ups, and I'm always amazed that Brett, Katie and the girls manage as many meet-ups as they do!

Here's my last photo. It's two of our Moderators - Colleen and Leo. These two incredible people are a big part of the thread that runs through the message board, holding it together. Ya gotta love 'em!
http://www.funbeaches.com/6.12.07/colleen-leo.jpg

Thanks to all of you who took time from your vacation to have dinner with us. And a very special thanks to our locals for giving up an evening in order to meet the message board members who choose to attend tonight's meet-up,

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:00 am 

So I told Lynn last night now that we've met, and I've put a face with a name, I don't have to think of her as a rocking chair in the sunset anymore (her avatar). LOL!!!! It's great to meet a longtime friend for the first time, and realize they are just as wonderful as you imagined them. Lynn and Rich are fantastic people. I'm so glad they got to come. I was sitting at the other table, but I snuck over to chat with them for a few minutes.

I got to sit next to Daniel and Michael, who are the sweetest and most respectful boys. They told me all about the multi-million dollar homes they had driven by that day while sightseeing. They are having a blast on their vacation. Lisa and Eric are so nice, and they are obviously tremendous parents. I hope they are able to move here soon.

I think our board has some sort of magnetic force to attract the nicest people on earth. I think Patrish presses a button on her Mac every 108 minutes. (little joke there). I haven't met anyone I don't like!!

It is always a joy to see my local friends Colleen, Wally, and Patrish. I love you guys!!!! Brian, hurry up and get down here!!

Thanks for putting this together, Lisa. I had a wonderful time, and I was so happy to meet you finally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:58 am 

So I'm standing there last night talking to Lynn and I'm thinking, "I've met this girl before." Then a little while later I'm talking to Lisa and I'm thinking, "I've met THIS girl before, too. What's up with that?" In reality this was the first time I had ever set eyes on either one of these two gems. So what was with the Twilight Zone experience?

It's because if I had put a chartreuse-shaded silk blindfold on you so you couldn't really make out who you were talking to because Lisa and Lynn were only green-tinted blobs, you'd swear you were talking to all the other all-star Message Board members who have come before them. The great migration of all truly nice people to the MB2 universe continues. They come because the voices in their heads tell them to.

Lynn and Rich are from the Cleveland area of Ohio. Lynn is bubbly, vivacious, and overwhelmingly friendly. She's your lovable sheep dog who ambushes you when you come in the door at night and knocks you down to the floor, ready to smother you with affection. Kind of reminds me VERY STRONGLY of someone else we just met at a recent gathering. Let's haul out Mr. Peabody's Way-Back Machine: "She is one of those people you meet who is just full of life and she spills that enthusiasm all over you. If it didn't feel so good you'd need to hose yourself off when you got home." -- from the meet-up on April 5th when I first met Emmy. There are even facial similarities. But seriously, Emmy and Lynn could have been separated at birth. In fact if I were either one of them I'd want an immediate DNA sample just to rule it out.

Rich was Lynn's doppelganger. He was also known as Hulk Hogan before he quit the WWF and went back to his given name but I didn't want to bring it up because the restaurant was crowded and we could do without all the autograph hounds swarming our table. No, seriously. Here are Lynn and Rich:

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 8/original

Hulk, Right??? I know! Even at the end of the evening when I was saying good-bye I was thanking Rich for not pile-driving me into the deck for kidding with Lynn about whether the Cuyahoga River in Ohio was really a liquid or a solid. "Thank you for not hurting me, Mr. Hogan." He just smiled with that "I wonder what Mr. Shrimpy would look like after a Dudley Death Drop" look.

Lynn and Rich have had a spectacular week weather-wise and are not at all anxious to return back home to the Cleveland area. And according to Lynn, neither are the 2.5 million people who actually live there, but I wasn't going to argue it with her. Mr. Hogan was raising an eyebrow toward me.

Lisa and Eric and the family. What can you say? They are two of the nicest people on the planet. Why two people have gone through the trials and tribulations in life to the extent they have is just one of those unaswerable mysteries. You'll never hear a word of complaint from them, though.

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 6/original

Lisa was the organizer of our meet-up and it was obvious this was a women who functions perfectly well while juggling 18 balls in the air. While keeping track of the five kids, Lisa was negotiating with the manager of River City Cafe who was telling her at various times that he could sit us together, then he couldn't, then maybe he could next Thursday, then wait, he might be able to if that table over there clears out. It was frustrating to say the least but Lisa kept her cool and never once brandished the pistol strapped to her thigh. In fact she never raised her voice beyond a purr. Eventually we were finally seated at adjacent tables. And this is Lisa. She's organized, calm, always gets the job done, and is sweet as pecan pie while doing it.

Eric and Lisa have a magnificent family and I had the privilege of meeting most of them. I sat with Halie, Michael, and their dad, Eric. Watching Michael was like looking through the Tunnel of Time to me when I was 10 years old. He can't weigh more than 40 pounds, and that's after eating an entire box of Ring Dings. (I actually did this once but I've managed to repress the memory due to the stomach pump and the bad anesthesia). I just wanted to squeeze him and tell him not to worry about being so small. "Listen, when you're 40 you'll probably need your stomach stapled and your door jambs widened." He just hugged me.

I spoke with Eric for a while about their desire to move from Newark, Ohio (which, sad to say, was nowhere near Xenia. Does ANYONE come from Xenia anymore?? Does tumbleweed roll through the middle of Main Street?) to Myrtle Beach. Eric's problem is that he's way too smart to get a job here. He's an IT professional dealing in asymmetric computer networks, wired equivalent privacy, and defense strategies against something called "The Ping of Death" whereby nefarious online characters, like "RonBIchibanfromMassena" for example, would crash entire corporate networks remotely just for fun. So Eric is looking for a company in Myrtle Beach that needs a Jedi IT guru. I tried to introduce him to the concept of a job involving "rounding up the Walmart shopping carts strewn around the Surfside parking lot" but he just looked at me. Like he would look at "RonBIchibanfromMassena".

Eric loves the south and is way too smart not to figure out some way to get here. He'll do it. And when he does Walmart will have the smartest shopping cart attendant west of the Greenwich Meridian.

The rest of the crew at the meet-up was the usual suspects. You know. Ho hum.

Colleen was there. Beautiful, gracious, witty, way-too-smart, perfect Colleen. I feel unworthy to speak her name. She's like a rock star that you happen to know and you're constantly pinching yourself, saying, "Wow. I know COLLEEN. How cool is that?" The only downside is that she doesn't sing or play bass in a band. So no scoring free concert tickets. But who cares. We know Colleen!

Then there was perfect Wally, husband of Patrish. Wally wears the moniker of "Nicest Man Ever To Come Out of West Virginia" with ease and aplomb. He also wears shirts advertising Withers Preserve, which he asked me to push really hard in this meet-up review. So here goes. If you're interested in, and let me quote Wally here so I don't get this wrong, "a one-of-a-kind neighborhood with a lifestyle to cherish, visit Withers Preserve -- America's ideal seaside town." Did I get that right, Nicest Man?

Here's the knock-out, Colleen, and Mr. 'Product Placement For Best Results':

I know. You thought I was kidding. But check out that shirt. :-)

Then there were Katie, Brett and my two grandbaby girls. Because of strict MB2 rules involving gloating over off-spring and their spousi, I'm not allowed to say anything in this write-up that isn't revenue-neutral. But come on. Check out the shape of those babies' heads.

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 1/original

You just know someday they'll be the two smartest women on the Council of Foreign Relations taking over from the people today who are actually running the entire industrialized world. That's Katie pointing a finger at Kylie, telling her she can't grow up to control the Pacific Rim and the whole of Australasia if she doesn't eat her mozarella sticks "now!"

Finally we have Patrish. This is her with the Human Billboard:

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/80441783/orignal

I love this woman. I don't know how else to express who she is or what she represents to me personally or to the board corporately. She's the mostly unseen force that created this silly, perfect, tight-knit world of Incredibly Nice People who continue to come here and gather for an evening of sharing our lives. She's the only person of which can be said, "We wouldn't know each other if it weren't for her." And speaking for myself (and probably a lot of you), my life is made that much richer for her being in it.

It was another glorious night in glorious Myrtle Beach. If you're not into 'glorious' there's probably no need to attend one of these. However, if glorious piques your interest, set one up for the week you're here and I promise you'll be talking about it decades from now. Probably around the same time Kylie is secretly ruling New Zealand and parts of the Solomon Islands.

Last edited by traderboynh on Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:04 am 
Site Admin

I told Leo we already have enough photos of me at meet-ups to fill volumes of cyber albums. But he doesn't listen to me. Thanks, Leo. I'll download that one and make it into a new avatar!

Leo is right. If I had not started this message board, we would still be strangers. And what a big loss that would have been for all of us.

What Leo didn't say is that the board has evolved into what it is today mostly because of he and Ron (Ichiban.) There's an excellent chance the board would not exist today without these two. Ron's work is mostly behind the scenes and I rely totally on him to keep this board going. He probably spends more time on the board than anyone else, but he's actually working! Ron is also the once who suggested the first meet-up. That meet-up happened at a time when I was "this close" to pulling the plug on the board. Now THAT was a defining moment!

From that first meet-up, Leo drew people together with his excellent writing talent and his awesome photography skills. Leo wanted real names. He wanted life stories. He wanted to know the members, and meet them in person. Leo has done more than anyone else to unite us into the extended family that we are today. He's totally committed to this board and to its members and we are incredibly blessed that he came across this board one day and decided to call it home. Many of you have already met Leo and his lovely wife Charlotte. If you haven't had the opportunity, that is yet another reason to come to the meet-ups or schedule one yourself. Leo always has something good to say about the members who attend meet-ups, but he never mentions himself. I wanted to say thanks. We all love you too.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:47 am 

WOW – so much to say! Firstly, I’d like to thank Lisa for organizing this meet-up. As stated previously, the management of River City Café was pretty wishy-washy regarding not having a place for all of us, especially since Lisa called weeks before and actually stopped by earlier in the day to make arrangements. All in all, it worked out well with all of us being seated close enough that we could still visit. Lisa, you did a great job staying cool, calm and collected – I’d probably have really blown a gasket (what do I mean “probablyâ€

1983 thru 2017 -- Various Locations

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:12 pm 

I really enjoy Leo's pictures. I never saw a disclaimer or anything so I always go to the top and scan all the previous and next pictures. See some he doesn't post in his reports.
Now......What's the story with the Hooter's girls?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:47 am 

pop2748 wrote:

Now......What's the story with the Hooter's girls?

Go ahead Leo, tell us the story! :lol: :nanner: :notworthy:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:18 am 

There is no story.

We were babysitting the grandchildren on Saturday afternoon and I decided to have a heart-to-heart talk with them about their career paths. Being 3 years old and 20 months old, you can never start too early. So I invited a few of my closest friends over to describe for them their various vocational opportunities.

That's all. Quit trying to make a federal case out of it, okay?

:icon_smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:21 am 

Their appearance was a Father's Day present from me...

I'm glad they came. I thought for sure they were just taking my money but wouldn't end up following through. Although, they did show up a day early. I guess the ability to read a calendar is not a prerequisite for the job...

"You can go become a tiger, a bear, a lion, or any other animal that is a mascot at schools across this country. But there is only one place in this world you can become a Buckeye. Are you ready to be a Buckeye?" ~Woody Hayes, addressing a new recruit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:27 pm 

OK....Show of hands.......
How many guys woulda stood there with the camera taking pictures and how many woulda thrown camera to wife and said "Here.....Get some pics of me with the girls!!!!"