Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ohio Meet-up - July 1st
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:03 pm 

Buckeye Hall of Fame Cafe is confirmed for July 1st at 11 a.m. We are supposed to be set up at 2 long tables. I also requested a booster seat and high chair for Lisa & Katie. :clown:
Let me know if I left anyone out or if anyone else wants to come join the fun!

Brett, Katie & girls - booster seat
Lisa, Kevin & Georgia - high chair
Jan & Mike
Ric & Pat
Della & kids - 4
Jackie
Kim & family (how many?)
Lisaf - 6
Alan - 2

Here's a link to the website:
http://www.halloffamecafes.com/buckeye/default.htm

Here's the scoop on Buckeye Hall of Fame Sunday Brunch -
Adults $16.95, Seniors $14.95, Kids $9.95

Brett - THE 2002 National Championship Trophy IS on display!!!

We can't wait to see everyone!!

(Edited by Moderator on 6/20/07.)

Vacation pics 2014

Last edited by Jan on Thu May 24, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:36 pm 

Last one home is a rotten egg! OH - that would be Brett and Katie, so I can't say that :lol: because their home is where we would all love to be!

This was our 5th meet up - 2 in Ohio and 3 in MB. As everyone has said before, "I don't want to sound like a broken record, but" we had a great time seeing our friends from this board. What a great bunch of people we have here.

The meet up was for Sunday Brunch at Buckeye Hall of Fame Cafe in Columbus.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ohiomb2lover/686409030/

We arrived about the same time as Ric and Pat. Not to disappoint us, Ric broke down and wore his favorite "M" shirt. We went inside and found Katie and Brett were already there with the girls. Brett was taking in all of the Ohio State trophies, etc that are on display.

As we went to check on our reservations, what appeared to be the manager greeted us...well, all of us except Ric. That's where the harrassment started :lol: They discussed dress code, etc, but it didn't scare Ric off. I was actually a little worried that Ric might get upset :oops: But, he knew what he was in for, and loved it!

We took a stroll back to the Championship Trophy Display, where Ric tried to blend in with the crowd.

Katie, Pat, Ric & Mike:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ohiomb2lover/686408702/

I don't know what it is about Maize and Blue, but it just doesn't go with red.

Here's Ric standing in front of the Championship Trophy. I was disappointed that the crystal football trophy was on loan to a local tv station.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ohiomb2lover/686408818/

As we were heading back to take our seats, we met Alan and Ruann. What a great couple. This was our first time to meet them. Though I didn't get a picture, I sure hope Katie or Lisa did. Once we start talking, I tend to forget about the camera :oops:

Kylie and Noelle seemed to be enjoying themselves as well. They are the cutest little girls! Yes, Grandpa Leo, they are happy to be visiting OH-IO!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ohiomb2lover/686408836/

A photographer, I am not, but here is a group shot at our table. Lisa does not have her eyes closed, she's looking at Georgia :clown: Great pic of the back of Georgia's cute little head, eh? :oops:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ohiomb2lover/686408662/

Breakfast and visiting were great as usual. We spent a lot of time talking with Katie and Pat. Two great people that you all should meet sometime.

There never is enough time to talk with everyone as much as you would like. I missed the opportunity to talk awhile with Lisa & Kevin again! :BandHead:

I had just started to relax a bit from observing the constant harrassment of Ric, when the manager came around to check on us. He walked up behind Ric, asked how the food was, and then patted Ric on the shoulder and said, "I'm sorry you haven't choked on your food yet!" :hysterical:

Ric called Ichiban while we were there, just checking to see if he might have any bail money..just in case. Brett & Katie called Leo and it was great to talk with him too (Ric also made a bail appeal on this call).

Last but certainly not least, we had the opportunity to meet Brett's Mom, Karen. She is a delightful lady and it was a pleasure meeting her.

What a great time! Thanks Katie & Brett for taking time out of your vacation to visit with us landlocked Ohioans!

I also called Ms. Kitty (Vicki) on the way home. They were enjoying Hudson's Flea Market - you all know where. Sorry they missed the meet up, but what better place to be than MB?

P.S. Unless Ric got nailed at the Cheesecake Factory on the way home, there was no need for bail money. :lol:

Vacation pics 2014

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:58 pm 

We're back from the meet-up. What a fabulous time!! Who says that only the people in Myrtle Beach get to have fun?? :nanner:

As a reminder, the meet-up was at the Buckeye Hall of Fame Cafe. We showed up early so we could get a chance to take some pictures of all of the memorabilia, trophies, wall murals, etc... This place was fantasic for Buckeye fans, and definitely worth it. But, that's not what this post is about, so I'll restrain myself...

Jan & Mike showed up not too long after us, and were immediately follwed by Alan & Ruann. We had met Jan & mike in MB before, but it's always a pleasure to see them again. Alan & Luann had come up from WV, and yes they did wear shoes. Alan was sporting a cap from 1998 between WV & Ohio State, which tied them into the fold quite seemlessly. Think of it as though he's that third giraffe who is trying to sneak onto the Ark. No one suspected they were possible outsiders, and we were all seated without issue.

Rick & Pat arrived, and the whole place was immediately in uproar. The source of the commotion was readily apparent. While Pat was appropriately decked out in her OSU gear, Rick had mad the ill-advised decision to wear a M*ch!g@n polo shirt. Almost as much a faux-paus as rooting for TTUN (that team up North, for you outsiders...) in the first place. However, this turned out to be a great source of entertainment for the morning, as the staff had a great time razzing him on his choice of attire from the moment he walked in the door (more on that in a bit...). Last but not least, Lisa & Kevin appeared with the ever adorable Georgia. What a cute family if there ever was one!

Once we were all together, they let us know we could hit the brunch buffet. Now, I had no idea what to expect of the food, as most buffet places are pretty much all the same. Half or more of the food you don't want to eat, and what you do want is either empty or congealed. This was the opposite from the Buckeye HoF Cafe. All of the food was totally fresh and hot. They brought more out just as the old pan was empty. They had all sorts of food: the staples (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast, waffles, fruit salad, and biscuits). But they also had hot or cold pasta salads, open-faced breakfast muffin sandwiches, wild rice & steak tips, sausage gravy & biscuits, crab cakes, sliced ham, some kind of fish, and more. They had an omlette station for those who wanted to eat their food in a massive, all-in-one serving. On top of that, they had desserts like cookies, cake, cheesecake, and others. So the point is, the food was AWESOME. Just like the team the place represents... :mrgreen:

Back to Rick, who was just trying to survive his OSU adventure in one piece. The funniest moment of the meet-up came when the manager stopped by our table to ask how everything was. We all agreed that things couldn't have been better. The manager then proceeded to ask Rick, "And you? Have you choked on your food yet, sir?" CLASSIC!!! :hysterical:

We all enjoyed talking with each other. I especially enjoyed swapping child-rearing stories with Lisa & Kevin, and also talking hunting/fishing and other topics with Alan & Ruann. I had so much fun that it's illegal in 44 states. Pictures to follow in a couple days... Everyone was such a pleasure to be around that I would do it again in a heartbeat. In fact, let's do it Thursday. Who's in?
:party[1]:

"You can go become a tiger, a bear, a lion, or any other animal that is a mascot at schools across this country. But there is only one place in this world you can become a Buckeye. Are you ready to be a Buckeye?" ~Woody Hayes, addressing a new recruit

Last edited by buckeye16 on Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:01 pm 

and so it goes...our wonderful Mb2 family stretches way beyond MB! How totally wonderful and heartwarming! Thanks for the pictures and the update on the meet-up! I can't wait to see ya'll down south again.

Side Note: Brett/Katie...remember you promised to stop at MY house first to unload the "precious" cargo of cream puffs from Schmidt's . Your dad has authorized us to be "taste-testers" and he won't mind if the cooler comes back empty. :hysterical: Yeah...right! Doesn't he have a few more pounds he's lookng to lose - the cream puffs will be death. Better to give them to us...LOL (I think I hear Leo shrieking as I'm typing this!)

Colleen

Last edited by beachxcape on Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:13 pm 

Who knew you could have a Myrtle Beach meetup in Ohio??!! Crazy stuff, People. I'll tell ya! When we can gather round the buffet station in a totally different state, you know we're a close knit group of folks!

I'm so happy that Alan and Ruann decided to make the trip up here and meet us all. I could hug them for that. They are just the nicest people. I got to talk to them a little bit, but since they were at the other end of the table, I didn't get the chance to hear their life stories and all their deepest secrets. hee hee! But don't you worry... I live in "Meetup capital of the world," and they will be down there in 3 weeks. I'll interrogate them next time.

I personally was thrilled to finally meet Lisa, Kevin, and Georgia. I've been waiting a long time for that. Lisa has a beauty about her that lights up an entire room. She is so elegant. Slap a Medieval gown on that woman, and you'd have yourself a "Fair Maiden." Seriously! Georgia was shy and a little tired when they first got there, but she opened up after awhile and was laughing and giggling with Noelle and Kylie. Georgia is a stunningly adorable child. I bet she could win all sorts of baby photo contests. She will be a heartbreaker in about 14 years! Watch out.

I spent most of the time talking to Jan, Mike, Ric and Pat. They are 2 couples that are dear to my heart. Ric and Pat are still dreaming of moving to Myrtle Beach. They aren't sure when or how, but they consistently poke the idea with a stick and try to figure out how to make it work. I'm pretty sure they will be down here at some point... even if it takes 5 years. I think Jan and Mike will be Ohioans for the next 18 years at least... now that their precious grandbaby is in the picture. Jan couldn't understand how anyone could vacation in Ohio, of all places. I told her if anyone can do it, it would be Brett. This is a giant thrill for him.

Ric joined us in the gift shop after we were done eating. He was scouring the place for anything blue and yellow. The poor guy came up empty. But I did point out some scarlet and gray sunglasses that would look super cool on him. He didn't seem to agree with me. Go figure.

Brett bought 2 Brutus Buckeyes for Noelle and Kylie. After he paid for them, he realized if you squeeze their tummies, they play the Ohio State fight song. Guess what we were "priviledged" to hear ALL the way back to the house? Noelle and Kylie were violently head banging and waving their arms with glee in their car seats the entire ride home. Ric is quite certain that our poor children are being brainwashed and is considering making an anonymous phone call to child services.

I fell into a food coma as soon as we got to the house, and I just now awoke from my Sunday nap. You've got to sleep off all those calories, my friends. It's the only way. It almost felt like Thanksgiving. There may not have been a turkey, but there was pecan pie. And it was out of this world. I ate so much food, I think I may burst out of my pants before the end of the week. I figure... since Dad couldn't be here to pig out on all of this incredibly yummy Buckeye food, I may as well stand in for him. You're welcome, Dad.

Thank you to everybody who came today!! And thank you to Jan for organizing it and making the reservation. It was totally memorable, and we had a blast.

Disclaimer: I took a great many pictures, but left Myrtle Beach with no way to download them to my laptop. Dad was gracious enough to mail me the necessary tools to do so, and I will be posting pictures of this event later on in the week. I'm expecting Thursday, but hoping for Tuesday. Lisa took pictures as well, so I'm sure she will beat me to it.

Post subject: Bail
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:59 pm 

First off, Ron (Ichiban) thanks for offering to send me bail money. :notworthy: Pat managed to keep me on my best behavior, so I was never in danger of spending any jail time in that God-forsaken town full of buckeyes. I was truly amazed at how many zombies were walking around clad in scarlet and gray! And by the way, it truly hurts me to see how Brett has brainwashed those adorable little girls into worshiping all things Buckeye. :BandHead:

Now on to more pleasant things. The meet-up was once again comparable to a family reunion. Everyone who attends one of these always comments on how it feels like seeing long lost friends or family members. I am amazed at how everyone is always so friendly and easy to talk to. It always feels like "coming home" when we attend a meet-up.
When we finally pulled ourselves away to leave, we decided to make a short side trip to (hold your breath here Leo) The CheeseCake Factory. :nanner: :nanner: We purchased a LARGE Chocolate Fudge Brownie cake that was also loaded with Chocolate Chips! The thing must be at least 4 inches tall!!! Pat was trying to feed me as I drove home. Let me just say that avoiding other cars on I270 around Columbus while trying to turn my head and take a forkfull of the most lucious dessert that has ever been invented was no easy task. It challenged my driving skills like nothing else ever has, with the possible exception of driving through an ice storm in Pennsylvania pulling a 53' trailer. (Remember Leo, I am a professional, don't try this at home!)

Thanks again to Jan for making the arrangements today, and to Katie for suggesting the meet-up.

We are looking forward to seeing all of our MB friends in December.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:26 pm 

"Third giraffe sneaking on the Ark." I've been called a lot of things through the years. That one is a first. I'm not real sure how it should be taken.

This was our second meet-up. Driving to the meet-up Ruann mentioned how odd it was we were meeting people I had met on-line. Laughed that we could be kidnapped. I just told her to look at it positive. We wouldn't have to go work on Monday.

Really not anything I can add to what's already been said. Everybody at these meets are super. Seated at the long table I spent most of the time talking with Lisa, Kevin, Brett and his Mom. Waiting to leave we talked a little with Jan and Mike. Long story short we enjoyed the entire trip.

Little story for Rick.
Driving home we stopped at a little gas stop for something to drink. Driving with top down(on the car) Ruann was wearing her white cap with blue and gold WV logo.
Girl behind counter made a comment and then told a Michigan vs Ohio joke. Took me a minute to figure out what was happening.
Apparently she graduated from OSU on an athletic scholarship and can't tell the difference between a blue and gold WV and a blue and gold M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:29 pm 

It sounds like everyone had a wonderful time! I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Chris

2009-Atlantic Breeze Ocean Resort

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:43 am 

Just got home from work and knew the details from the meet-up should be posted. Thanks for the pictures Jan. I can't wait to see Katie's. This gets me really excited about the 2 meet-ups next week(it is already Monday). By the way, I thought Alan and Ruann will be in Myrtle Beach this coming Sunday. Katie said three weeks. Have your plans changed? I was really looking forward to meeting you guys next Monday at Broadway at the Beach.
Maybe if we had 1000 members from Tennessee we could have a meet-up on Ol' Rocky Top. Yes! Big Orange fans are just as passionate about football as OSU and Michigan fans. Now you guys have me wishing it was football season.

Jeff

2000-Compass Cove
2001-Breakers Resort
2003-Compass Cove
2005-Crown Reef
2006-Dayton House
2007-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. NMB
2007-Dayton House
2008-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. \ Dayton House
2009-Dayton House
2011-Dayton House
2012-Wyndham Towers on the Grove
2014-Breakers Resort

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:25 am 

We're leaving Friday night for the beach. Yes we'll be there for probably both meet-ups.
If you heard Bret and Katie's schedule for last few days you'd understand her getting weeks mixed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:33 am 

Heh heh! Oops. Alan is right. I don't know what is up or down right now. Sorry! :drinkin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:13 am 

pop2748 wrote:
Little story for Rick.
Driving home we stopped at a little gas stop for something to drink. Driving with top down(on the car) Ruann was wearing her white cap with blue and gold WV logo.
Girl behind counter made a comment and then told a Michigan vs Ohio joke. Took me a minute to figure out what was happening.
Apparently she graduated from OSU on an athletic scholarship and can't tell the difference between a blue and gold WV and a blue and gold M.

I know this seems odd to people outside the OSU/M!ch*g@n fan base. However, as an insider, allow me to translate... It very well may be that she, as an OSU fan, looks for any excuse to tell a M!ch*g@n joke. I certainly know I do... :lol:

parrotheadjwb wrote:
Maybe if we had 1000 members from Tennessee we could have a meet-up on Ol' Rocky Top. Yes! Big Orange fans are just as passionate about football as OSU and Michigan fans. Now you guys have me wishing it was football season.

Jeff

Jeff, this is something I was saying at the meet-up yesterday... I am just dying for Football season. We've hit that lull in the Summer where we're in the middle of the very long Baseball season, and the only other sports on TV are Golf & Arena Football. Yay. Whee....

GIVE ME FOOTBALL!! :freakout.gif.gif:

"You can go become a tiger, a bear, a lion, or any other animal that is a mascot at schools across this country. But there is only one place in this world you can become a Buckeye. Are you ready to be a Buckeye?" ~Woody Hayes, addressing a new recruit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:55 am 

Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time. I am so sorry that I could not make it. PLEASE forgive me!!!!!!!!!! I was with you in thought.
Love and Hugs Jacki

Post subject: Ohio Meet Up
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:40 pm 

Hey Gang! Lolly-gagger that I am :oops: I'm just now posting about our great meetup at Buckeye HOF Cafe. BTW, that place is huge. I can imagine the excitement of being there during a big game. Trophies and uniforms abound. Very nostalgic. We stayed overnight Saturday night as we went to the Columbus Zoo Saturday morning. It's a big zoo...but I'm partial to Cleveland's wonderful zoo. (No poison arrows, please.) On to the meetup...we actually arrived about 10:20, but thought we were too early and hit the Target just before HOF Cafe. Good idea as Georgia was a little worn out from "zooing" it the day before and she found a toy lion family that kept her occupied during "most" of the meetup conversations. We walked in and the hostess said are you with "Myrtle Beach?" and I thought, Hmm...do we look like we should be with "Myrtle Beach?" and, then I thought...cool..we must SOOOO look like Myrtle Beachers! :cool: Jan and Mike were already there, I spied her first. Ric & Pat and Katie, Brett & the goils were all there as well. Ric and Pat got up right away and came over to say hello to us and Pat gave me a hug. She's a good hugger. Some people just know how to hug! This was our first time meeting them and what wonderfully, warm people they are. Pat is a stunningly beautiful woman and seems like one of those people you'd want around to give you moral support & hugs. Ric was the ultimate good sport as he was ceaselessly chastised regarding his MI alliance. (Secretly, I was giving him Kudos :notworthy: under my breath because I only had Brett's mom between Brett and I and didn't want to speak of it too loudly!) :boxing:

Katie came right up to me and gave me a big hug. That girl looks AWESOME! She's a looker and her svelt-ness isn't done justice in her avatar. :bellydancer[1]: Right behind us walked in Alan and RuAnn. Alan is a cool cat. :cool: He just exudes the "chilled out" factor. It doesn't look like much would get under his skin at all and dog gone if I didn't get a good picture of he and Ruann together. She seemed to be the elusive one in my pictures...with the exception of the one of us taking pictures at the same time across from each other and I'm sure we have a shot of the other one taking a picture! I will post tomorrow when I return to work, as I'm off today on a Georgia and Mommy day. All Georgia, all day long, except for now as I'm typing this, Mommy lost out to Charlotte's Web! So, contrary to the utterly dejecting remarks made by ICHIBAN, I do have pictures, but will post them via my work computer -- faster computer, easier to do, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Alan wore his WVa/OSU cap and he practically sat right across from Brett, too and didn't even get kicked or anything. Probably because OSU was also on the cap! We didn't waste anytime putting on the feed bag, especially me. You'd think I was trying out for next Food Network Star...the audience that is! Even Georgia ate well and with her it's hit and miss. Kevin and Alan had HUGE omelettes, which took a bit of getting, but they looked scrumptious. Bless Kevin...he just came along, didn't ask any questions, totally trusting his wife to bring him to meet complete strangers from the internet. I don't know who would be considered nuttier to those looking from the outside at this situation...me for suggesting it, or he for not even raising an eyebrow. :roll: :roll: I'm sure it's my asute sense of people that he was utterly relying on! :dontknow:

We spent most of the time talking to Alan and Ruann and his tales of danger driving the hairpin twists in WVa and surrounding and finally finding out how EXACTLY those runaway truck ramps work. :digging[1]: I'm not going to hear the end if it, however, that Alan's perfect vacation is getting in the car in WVa and getting out of the car in Cherry Grove, getting his chair, plopping his tookus in it and then getting back in the car 7 days later. My husband's perfect vacation as well. Thanks a lot, Alan....you've been a big help! :BandHead:

Brett's mom was beside me and she is a really sweet lady. She seemed very tiny. I don't know why that stood out to me as a memory. She told how Brett quit his Jr year to join the love of his life and she was glad he did. That's quite a support there. Brett is a friendly, funny guy. Lots of stories. The only guy I know that has gone fishing without a lure, line or bait. Interesting.

I didn't get to talk to Katie as much as I would have liked, she seemed a little quieter than I imagined. Their girls are sweet and well mannered and adorable. I can only imagine that Katie goes through sunscreen by the liter! They shared their Winnie the Pooh DVD with Georgia and she loved it. She is 3.5 years old and every bit if it. It is a crap shoot whether or not she will behave at any given time, but she did ok. Confinement isn't her thing at the moment! Toward the end she was ready to go home. I didn't get only a moment to speak to Jan and Mike, but she informs me her 7month old granddaughter is the smartest thing in Milford Center and surrounding and I, for one, believe her!!

LisaFromOhio, Theresa, Della, Jacki, Lynn, Jeff, Vicki and all you other Ohioans far too numerous to name will have to make the NEXT OH meetup. We had a grand time. :cheerleader:

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:26 pm 

I've been thinking since yesterday how odd it is that the tie that binds us, the single thread that brought us together is Myrtle Beach. These miraculously wonderful, friendly, kind-hearted people are in my life because they vacation/live-in Myrtle Beach. Is there something in the water there that makes MBMB people a blessing to know?

We had so much fun yesterday. If I told you Ric has always been shy and quiet, those of you who have met him would not believe me. But, really, he always has been. He is nothing if not loyal to his family, his friends and his beloved Michigan Wolverines. His wearing of the maize and blue was a testament to that loyalty. Actually he's just nuts.

I could cut and paste what everyone has already said about the meet-up and put it right here and feel sincerely the same way. Ric and I are truly better people for the blessings you have brought us.

Just a couple more things -----

Patrish - thanks for allowing us to come here and for bringing us together. I haven't jumped on the "me-too" trains when people have expressed how grateful they are to you. This is my turn.

Ron (Ichiban) - my first exposure to the MBMB family. Congratulations on your retirement, my friend!! We look forward to our turn.

Leo - It is your fault I have a $43 cheesecake in my fridge. Yes, $43. We thought that paying $6.95 for one piece was far too expensive, so we bought the whole cake! I have no excuses, that's just the way we think. This is not only a cheesecake, but a crust of chocolate fudge-nut brownie, three inches (at least) of cheesecake, a layer of chocolate chips, and just because there wasn't enough chocolate already - a layer of fudgy topping. Absolutely great for the diet. Thanks.

We're thinking of trying to have the biggest MBMB meet-up ever next October (2008) in Myrtle Beach. Anyone interested?

Pat :nanner: :nanner: