Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: End of February Meet up?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:44 pm 

I was just wondering if anyone would be intersted in a dinner meet up on February 27th (Tuesday) or February 29th (Thursday)? We are open to suggestions on restaurants. We are bringing the kids too so there will be 5 of us. I know there probably won't be too many vacationers there (if any) but maybe some of the locals would be interested? Just let me know ~ Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:10 pm 

Meet up details:

When: Tuesday, February 27th
Time: 6:00 p.m.
Where: Ryan's in Surfside
Who: Lisa & Family, Katie & Family & Leo (and I'm assuming Charlotte?)

If anyone else would like to join us please do. I'm really looking forward to this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:57 am 

The meetup last night felt less like an official meetup and more like going out to dinner with some great friends. Lisa and Joe are fantastic people, and Rachel, Joey, and Alex are so sweet and well behaved. We felt like we’d known them for a long time, and had an awesome time chatting and laughing. Brett was just thrilled to be in the presence of fellow Ohio folk. Folk? Ohioans? Ohioites? Ohioers? Whatever! Anywhooo, it is very apparent that they are a great close knit family. We love them to death already. I was sad to say goodbye at the end of the night, but we were losing Kylie to the dark side of the Force, and the waitress had started hovering and telling us to have a good night.

Joey was having a blast making Noelle laugh hysterically. Noelle loves other kids and finds them very entertaining. For those of you who don’t know, Joey wants to be a professional baseball player when he grows up. As long as he doesn’t play for the Yankees, I am all for that!! Kylie was teething and cranky, so we had to strategically keep her distracted. This involved large amounts of ice cream, a portable DVD player, and a few Weebles to chuck across the table (don’t worry… they wobble, but they don’t fall down. No Weebles were harmed in the events of last night’s dinner). Rachel is a sweet quiet little lady. She is so adorable. I think she will steal quite a few hearts when she gets older!! Alex is a funny little guy. I was totally entertained just watching him. For all you serious eaters out there, you could take a few tips from little Alex. He’ll give you all a run for your money. Although he looks like your average 6 year old kid, he’s really a food machine. I lost count of how many times he came back with another plate of food. Steak, chicken, more chicken, more steak, desert, more steak, and some fruit to wash it all down. It was hilarious. Joe mentioned at one point that they may want to take Alex to get checked for a tape worm. Ha ha!! I’m a little jealous of Alex. I wish I was a young kid with boundless energy. I wouldn’t have to worry about calories at all!!

Lisa is just as great in person as she is on the message board. She doesn’t have an unkind bone in her body. As we were chatting, my mind was spinning up all sorts of devious plans to drive away our neighbors, so Lisa could come live next door to me. Joe was a great surprise too. I knew very little about Joe, because obviously he isn’t on the message board. I wasn’t sure what to expect. I found out real fast that he’s just so easy to talk to and has a great sense of humor. Right off the bat, I knew I liked him. Brett nearly went into cardiac arrest when he met Joe and saw that he was wearing a Cleveland Indians shirt. (If any of you haven’t figured it out yet, Brett is a rabid Ohio sports fan). You know how you meet people sometimes, and although you like them, there are some uncomfortable silences for a moment while you think of a new conversation topic? Well, that was not the case here. I don't think any of us shut our mouths from the moment we walked in till we left at the end.

Dad was there too. We brought him along to be the photographer of this great event. That was his assigned task.

Quote:
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live." -Ben Hur :whip2:

Actually, I’m glad he was there. He has been working like a crazed madman for the past few weeks on a project for work… locking himself in his office for days… rarely stepping out into the light of day (except to photograph Colleen's beautiful house). He was looking a little pale. We needed to re-introduce him to the human race for a couple hours. Come back towards the light, Dad!!

Last night was so much fun. After a dormant winter, it was a great kickoff to “meetup season!â€

Post subject: Feb. Meet-up
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:15 am 

Ichiban wrote:
All he takes is unflattering pictures of me :cry:

Oh please. That picture in your avatar. Is that unflattering? Who took that, you big tub of goo?

Here's another one.

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 4/original

This was taken at the very first meet-up on June 14th, 2005. I remember it well because I snapped the picture and then some google-eyed teen-aged girl ran up to Ron and gushed, "Please, oh please can I have your autograph, Mr. Hasselhoff??"

Anyway, on to last night. This barely qualified as a meet-up. If I hadn't been there it WOULDN'T have been one because by Message Board Guidelines (Section 3, Paragraph 7), there have to be three parties present at a meet-up or it's just "dinner out" with two couples.

In point of fact, it WAS dinner out with friends, but not because the meet-up was so small. As Katie said, Joe, Lisa and the family are poster children for the message board stereotype. One of these days I'm going to meet a family that just doesn't measure up and I'll have to suspend their MB2 membership right there on the spot. Last night was about as far away from that scenario as you can get. Lisa is genuine, sweet, and lovable. As Katie said, she's a wonderful person who is warm, wickedly smart, and has the capacity to work two jobs at one time (true story). Lisa is the type of person that if you were a kid, you'd hang out at her house and befriend her kids just because she's a cool Mom and probably slips cookies to you before you have to run home to dinner.

The children, Joey, Alex, and Rachel were engaging, ultra-respectful, intelligent, and completely charming. And all that while growing up in Ohio! Talk about beating the odds! :-) (JUST KIDDING!) Again, I sound like a broken record, but is it not strange to anyone else that of all the families we've met at these meet-ups in the last two years, not a single one had anything even close to misbehaving children? In fact it's been just the opposite. They're all Stepford children. I can't explain why but the odds are staggering.

Joe was a man's man. I'd say it's hard to tell much about a person after just knowing them for 90 minutes, but two things were true in this situation:

1. I'm really, really good at gauging people. I can't do much else with any degree of accomplishment, but that one I can do mysteriously well.

2. Joe makes it incredibly easy.

He's one of these guys who laughs easily, is completely transparent, and clearly has an interest in what you have to say. He's the prototypical next-door-neighbor who snow blows your driveway for you, takes care of your dog while you go on vacation, and TiVos the United States Arm-Wrestling Championships from Petaluma, California for you in case you missed it because your wife held your TV hostage while watching the Oxygen Network.

Up until I joined this message board, I had never met a glazier. These are folks who work with glass and windows. Ed, our senior message board representative from the state of Indiana is/was a glazier. And of course, we all know what kind of guy Ed is. Now there's Joe, who is also a glazier although he isn't necessarily working in that field at the moment. There must be something in glass shards that makes someone very special because Joe and Ed were both cut from the same pane. Just class acts.

All in all it was another in a long line of outstanding meet-ups. I love attending these things and it's made a lot more enjoyable now because my daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren are there at most all of them. It's just another excuse for me to take their pictures. :-)

Unfortunately, I wasn't sitting at an optimum location to take much in the way of photos last night. Some of what I took weren't very good because either people were eating or I caught them in mid-sentence, so I'll only post two. One is of Joe, who in this picture is thinking about the prospects of his Cleveland professional sports teams. Notice the stormy visage and confused look.

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 8/original

And here's our happy family all together after putting a dent in Ryan's bottom line:

http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 6/original

From left to right, Joe, Rachel, Joey, Alex, and Lisa.

There was talk about them coming back in August. If that's true, I strongly suggest you August vacationers make your plans around them. You'll want to make lifelong friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:36 am 

It looks like everyone had fun!!!

I would be more than happy to meet Lisa and the whole family if you guys go back in August!!!

I love that meet-ups season is "starting", but hate the fact that I can only attend one (or two!) a year!!

Ron : I'm sure only Leo is the only person allowed to call you a "tub of goo" without getting crushed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:49 am 

Annie, the banana pudding looked REALLY good last night. I thought of you and Julie. Too bad I couldn't send some up to you!! I think that would get kind of messy though... :clown:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Lisa, I'm so sorry I wasn't there to meet you and your family. I hope you will be back in the summer, and I'll have the opportunity to meet everyone then! Leo, thanks so much for serving as the Official Photographer. As always, you do a fantastic job.

Well...there were those few mishaps with Ron, so don't let him lure you onto the bridges at Broadway at the Beach. The carp mouths are now large enough to swallow a Canon EOS without chewing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:31 pm 

We just got home a couple of hours ago but I wanted to log on to say what a great time I had Tuesday evening. I'll admit that I was just a little nervous beforehand, I'm not sure exactly why though. However, it was so much fun. Joe and I both genuinely enjoyed meeting Leo, Katie, Brett, Noelle and Kylie.

Leo, Katie and Brett are so incredibly kind and friendly. There was nothing uncomfortable about it. Noelle and Kylie are just the cutest little girls. My kids just keep talking about them saying how cute they are. The girls are extremely well behaved and I really couldn't get over it. And Katie - I would be honored to be your neighbor, seriously. I know we are going to be great friends for a long time.

Joe had no idea that his picture would be posted on here. I however, knew otherwise but I guess I just forgot to mention it to him. I was scared though about a couple of the shots that Leo took - THANK YOU Leo for not posting them :lol:

I can't wait until the next time that I get to come down and visit with you guys again and hopefully make more friends as well.

I will post my trip report in the next few days. Sneak peak - it includes a trip to the ER, a dying alligator and vicious seagulls.