Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meet-up at Crabhouse
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:13 am 

Cue the boilerplate ...

Counting children, there were 11 of us at the Crabhouse restaurant last night for the second meet-up of the 2007 Message Board year. And again, it was a great time as mostly old buds gathered to renew friendships. We were also introduced to another outstanding couple, Bob P. and his wife Bonnie, recent transplants from Maryland, and Toby, Ron's brother from freezing and glacially-encrusted upstate NY.

Let's get on with the introductions first. Bob and Bonnie. Look around you. See all those wonderful, personable, warm and engaging Message Board people around you? Just add two more. Bonnie is a quiet and intelligent lady who is quick witted and just extremely, extremely nice. Bob is a former south-sider from Chicago who spent most of his life in Maryland after he hunted and tracked down the love of his life, Bonnie, in Maryland. Bob is funny, smart, completely engrossing in conversation, and has some incredible stories to tell. Example: He had to learn conversational Mandarin in 9 months at a Yale University language immersion program. He worked for the US government and was sent over to the Chinese border to listen in on Chinese radio communications.
Quote:
Me: Trying to pick up state secrets for the NSA?

Bob: No. New wok recipes for LaChoy.

Okay, not really. But he can't divulge what he heard in Asia because he'd have to kill me and then what would you all do without me to tell you how to drive from Xenia, Ohio to Myrtle Beach? Right? RIGHT??

Seriously, I talked to Bob and Bonnie for quite a while and really had a hard time breaking it off because they were both so interesting, witty and fun. Bonnie is a man's kind of woman because she actually DOES know the difference between a high-definition television picture and analog. That alone would get her into the final 12 on American Idol. Bob's first words to me upon meeting me were, [pointing at Ron], "I think I could take him." Bonnie's first words to me were, [pointing at Ron], "I think I could take him, too."

How can you not love them?

Here's our newest All-Star couple:

Bonnie and Bob
http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 9/original

I had briefly met Toby on the golf course the other day when he was whipping his brother on the 7th hole. Toby is a true American hero and a real fighter. After exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam, he's suffered more than one person ever should, with various bouts of cancer, diabetes, and Ron. But through it all he's about as upbeat a person as anyone I know. It's obvious Toby loves life, he loves his brother, and he is thoroughly enjoying his time down here motoring around the golf courses of Myrtle Beach. He's just as funny and gregarious as Ron and it's obvious they're genetically related because they both have that goofy grin and boyish charm. Hopefully Toby can make a return trip to MB this summer with his lovely wife. The Strand could use his effervescent personality.

Ron and Karl Rove ... erh, I mean Toby
http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 8/original

Jeff and Lorraine. What can I say? They're not just a couple I know from the message board. They're truly my dear friends from Tennessee, even though I can't understand a word Lorraine is ever saying. But you know what? You don't need to understand her words. All you need to do is look at her face and see her smiling and laughing and you can absorb what she's saying just by emotional osmosis. I had the privilege of having them stay with me on Sunday night and we talked for hours. I love them to death, even if Lorraine's idea for making millions is to open up an "Ice House of America" franchise. In Anchorage. Seriously.

There are basically three things you need to know about Jeff.

A. He loves God
B. He absolutely adores his wife and boys
C. He's hard working, honest, and just an exemplary human being on every level

There isn't anything else that matters. Honestly, if I'm ever in a foxhole because Bob P. leaked sensitive Chinese information to the press and now the Red Army is marching on Conway, I want Jeff in that foxhole with me.

Jeff and Lorraine
http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 7/original

Katie, Brett, and the girls were there and it's gotten to the point that I don't think I can go to a meet-up without my family there. I'll never tire of seeing "my girls", the grandchilren, and I have a pathological need to snap more pictures of them than anyone else at the meetup. And tough for you. Lucky for you I only published three.

Katie and Brett
http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 2/original

Katie
http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 5/original

Noelle
http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 0/original

Finally there's Ron. Ron is indisputably the most important person, second to Patrish, on the message board. He works tirelessly behind the scenes to keep the message board up and running. He's passionately connected to the board, not because he enjoys the day-to-day detail of coding maintenance, but because he's met many of you and he's part of a community he truly loves. But forget the board for a second. Ron is probably the most popular PERSON on the message board because of who he is -- a big teddy bear of a man who would give you the shirt off his back. He even gives it to total strangers who ask for money out of expensive SUVs. Ron will stop at nothing to make you smile. He wears his emotions on his sleeve but you almost never see him when he's not either laughing, joking around, or engaged in some type of mischief in an effort to get you to laugh. He's the kind of person people automatically gravitate towards because he makes them feel so great. That's greatness in an of itself.

As I said, it was a great evening. We received two calls during the meet-up. One was from Annie and Bruno up in Canada, who wanted us to know three things:

1. They were thinking about us and wished they could be here
2. It was -42 with the wind chill factor in Toronto
3. Is Bob P. now spying on Canada?

Annie is such a sweetheart. And truth be told, I can understand her with her quirky Canadian accent over the phone even better than Lorraine "Ellie Mae" Bennett from Tennessee. Sad, but true.

Then we got a call from Patrish, who was recovering from an illness probably brought on by unhealthy pathogens that got into the air when the Haunted Hotel dark ride was demolished. She called to ask how things were going and to find out if Ron was still sober. I told her the truth about one thing and lied about another. Patrish IS the message board and it was a shame she couldn't be with us.

Here are three more leftover photos from the evening:

Ron
http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 1/original

Ron and Jeff
http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 3/original

An ectomorph between two endomorphs
http://www.pbase.com/traderboynh/image/ ... 4/original

I say this every time I write one of these meet-up reviews. If you haven't been to one, you need to clear out at least one night in your busy vacation schedule to attend a meet-up. I promise you'll meet some of the nicest folks you'll ever get to know and you'll hear stories about people that will astound and amaze you. Most people say the meet-up was one of the highlights of their trip. And why not? Where else can you meet someone who once overheard Deng Xiaoping, Premier of China, say over an unencrypted phone line, "High-definition TV? Seriously, I can't tell the difference."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:16 am 

I don't know where to start. We had such a fabulous night! Jeff and I went early to BATB to get in a smidge of shopping. As we rounded the corner at the Crab House we heard a whistle and somehow knew who was behind it. Ron joined us in our sprint to get over to my favorite store before the meet-up (which is now closed) but I bought pralines instead to drown my sorrows. We looked around in a few shops before heading back to The Crab House. It was great getting hang out and talk with Ron for a while. What a hunk! And it's so obvious how much he loves his family. He's such a great guy. I'm so glad Jeff and I got the opportunity to meet him. Ron's brother Toby joined us next. Sweetness runs in the family. We were seated and then Bob and Bonnie joined us. It was great getting to know them. We envey them just picking up and moving to the beach. They are waiting for their house to be finished and you can feel their excitement. They're a great couple. Next was Leo arriving and it's always a pleasure to see him. He's such a sweety. He has been so kind taking time out for us this week, even though he has a huge project due for work by Thursday. Brett, Katie and the girls arrived. We had already met and had dinner with them Sunday night. Last night gave us more of an opportuntiy to get to know each other. Noelle and Kylie are adorable. I had a great time talking to Noelle and rubbing Kylie's sweet little head (no hair). If Jeff and I were to ever move here Katie would have to be my inspiration to lose this weight and keep it off. She has done a fabulous job. Brett is so outgoing. I really enjoyed talking with him. After dinner we just all kind of got up from the table and mingled. It was a very relaxed and enjoyable night getting to know all these wonderful people. Jeff will post our pictures from the meet-up on his trip report next week.

Post subject: Re: Meet-up at Crabhouse
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:41 am 

traderboynh wrote:
As I said, it was a great evening. We received two calls during the meet-up. One was from Annie and Bruno up in Canada, who wanted us to know three things:

1. They were thinking about us and wished they could be here
2. It was -42 with the wind chill factor in Toronto
3. Is Bob P. now spying on Canada?

Annie is such a sweetheart. And truth be told, I can understand her with her quirky Canadian accent over the phone even better than Lorraine "Ellie Mae" Bennett from Tennessee. Sad, but true.

Ok...Three things I need to add to this.

1. I was NOT, and I repeat NOT calling from Toronto. Leo, did you get me confused with Julie or something? (Not I that wouldn't LOVE to look like her! ***stalking alert***). I was calling from Gatineau. If that's too complicated, just say I was calling from Ottawa. That'll do. And it was FRIGGIN' cold!!!

2. Quirky Canadian accent???? My accent is anything but quirky! I prefer the terms "cute" or "lovable", keep that in mind for next time.

3. Someone has to explain to me why everytime I call Leo's cell from my Bberry, I ALWAYS get disconnected. Funny how Ron answered his cell the minute I called...Then again, Ron did explain to me that Leo's cell was working only when Leo himself was talking... :twisted:

Seriously though, Leo took some time to tell me who was there, and that everyone was really nice, and then proceeded plan my vacation around his! :lol:

Making that phone call last night was the highlight of my day! I miss everyone soooo much!

And for the record, around 7, Ron still sounded pretty sober to me. I'm wondering what time it was when Patrish called...Hmmm.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:47 pm 

Okay, I feel compelled to add a little element of truth to the tales being told about the meet-up last night. It is true that Bonnie was the one who did most of the damage done to Ron, but I think witnesses would confirm that I got in a couple of good shots before Bonnie threw me aside and began to pummel him unmercifully. (And, if truth be told, what I actually said to Leo when we first met saw Ron was not that I thought that I could take him. What I really said was, "Think that I should wake him?)

This was our first meet-up experience and it was everything I had expected. Everyone was just as they present themselves on the message board. Ron does, indeed, seem like he would do anything for you--we all hit him up for a few bucks before we left! Toby is a bear of a man who enjoys life, even with all it has thrown at him. Jeff and Lorraine are wonderful people, even though some folks had to ask repeatedly, "what did she say?" I think it is great they get to spend some time together doing whatever they want to do here in Myrtle Beach. It was great to meet Brett, Katie and the two little ones. I didn't get to talk too much with either one, but I look forward to other opportunities to get to know them both better. One big regret is that we didn't get a chance to meet Patrish and Wally, but I know that chance will come in the future.

Now, as far as an explanation as to why we spent most of our time talking to Leo; first of all, he was sitting next to me, and secondly, he turned his attention to us after finding out where Jeff and Lorraine had eaten the day before. The interrogation was relentless! I tried to hold out the Chinese connection as long as I could, but when he pulled out that finger clipper (yes, I said "finger clipper") and threatened to chop off the pinkie first, well, I could feel the blood begin to drain from my head. Who carries something like that to a dinner meet-up? I mean, who else besides Jack Bauer and Leo. I suggested he start with Bonnie, but he insisted that I go first. I would have said anything at that point, so don't believe everything you read.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up."
Jim Valvano 1946-1993

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:21 pm 

Sounds like everyone had an interesting, fun time!!! Leo, what do you mean you can't understand Lorraine? I never had trouble understanding her. Did you put something in her drink? And Ron, I was always told when somebody picks on you that means they love you. From what I read on these posts it seeems as if Leo really loves you!! So I always tell those who pick on me that's okay I know I am REALLY loved because I sometimes get my share of it. I've met Ron and he is really a nice man, who can always make you laugh. I would have loved to meet Bob and Bonnie. I just don't know how anyone in his line of work could keep a secret. I'd be the type to say "I've got something to tell you but you can't tell anybody" and before long everyone would know. (Now I know Bob is thinking that's because she's a woman most can't keep their mouths shut.)Anyway, it sounded like a fun night. So far I've met Jeff, Lorraine and their boys, Leo and Charlotte and Ron and Phyllis (out of those who were there at this meetup.) Hope to meet Katie and Brett this July.
Cathy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

I am so very sorry I missed this meet-up. Bonnie and Bob, I hope to see you at our next one. I'm looking forward to meeting you!

Although I didn't get to meet Toby, we had a long conversation when he answered Ron's cell phone on the golf course the other day. (He asked me never to repeat what he told me about Ron.)

Our meet-ups set this board apart from any other I've come across. And for those of you who may not know, our members held meet-ups in Ohio and PA last year. That's pretty special! The meet-ups, and all you wonderful people who have become my friends are what holds this board together. You keep me going when things get rough.

Katie, I have to tell you this. I showed Wally the photos from last night, and when he looked at the picture of you and Brett he said "Oh, Katie might be losing too much weight!" I said "Wally, a woman can never own too many shoes, too many white blouses, or be too thin. I will tell Katie what you said." Wally looked at me, as only Wally can when he is confused, and asked sincerely "Did I say something wrong?" I replied "No, dear. You said something just right."

Jeff, thanks for calling me. You made my day!

Ron, your last call was the first I've ever received from a tattoo parlor! Now get back to work on our database! Everything y'all have read about Ron is true. He is fiercely loyal to his family, to Myrtle Beach, and to this message board. You just can't help but love this guy!

Leo, thanks for the wonderful photos and commentary. As I have said before, Leo always looks for and finds the best in everyone he meets. Leo is a true gentleman, and someone I'm very proud to call my friend.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:21 pm 

Hi Everybody!
I have been going non-stop since 7am this morning and didn't get a chance to post on here. But I just wanted to say what a wonderful time we had last night.

I was very excited to spend time with Ron and his brother. Last year I had a chance to meet Ron at the meetup at Flo's (in August), and since we were all split up, I got to talk to him for a total of 4.56 seconds! :lol: I was glad to chat with him more this time. He and his brother are so terrific. By the way Ron, I'm pretty sure Lorraine did, in fact, mean to say HUNK. I was going to say something to the same effect (she beat me to it, because I've been crazy busy with work... no fair!!).

Lorraine and Jeff are fantastic. I enjoyed every minute with them on Sunday evening and last night. And yes, Lorraine, we did find a babysitter for Friday night! Woohoo!!

I was really bummed that I didn't get to talk very much to Bob and Bonnie. I was at the other end of the table. But I could tell they are wonderful people. I am looking forward to seeing them at future meetups.

So here's a little insider info... Dad has been working on a major project for work that is due this week. The pressure on him has been extreme. He told me yesterday "I'm ONLY going for 1 hour. Then I HAVE to get back to work." Yah.... right.... 3 hours into the meetup, and he's still yacking with everybody. We left to go put the girls to bed, and he was still talking about spying on the Chinese (or whatever it was) and having a marvelous time. LOL!! He just can't get enough of you message board people. He loves you all to death. Don't ever believe differently. He'd give you his right arm if you needed it.

By the way, in case anyone cares... the Crabhouse was terrific. REALLY great food. Ron strongarmed me (hee hee) into trying the crab dip appetizers and some of his giant crab cake. They were GLORIOUS! Yum Yum. My grilled chicken caesar salad was fantastic as well. Noelle gave the mac cheese 2 thumbs up. Kylie wouldn't even touch her mac cheese. She was too busy chowing down on bread and her baggy of graham crackers.

Ok, I've said enough. Now I have to sign off and indulge in a little American Idol! :cool:

Last edited by ktjohn on Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:42 pm 

I always enjoy reading about the meet-ups, especiall with pictures. Thanks to all of you for posting.

I have mixed emotions reading about the meet-ups. I know all of you enjoy every minute of it and I'm happy for you. But sad I can't be there too.

I have been trying to meet Ron ever since he initiated the very first meet-up. Also thinking what an opportunity I missed getting to meet Katie and Brett and those two beautiful little girls. BobP and his wife were there for crying out loud. BobP was the one who told me about how great that salad is at Carolina Roadhouse. I happen to know Bob is a huge basketball fan, and with the big dance coming up I would have loved to get his insight. (think NCAA B-ball pools) Leo, Jeff and loraine I was blessed to get to meet last june. I really missed getting to see and talk with them again. Also missed getting to see Patrish and Wally's smiling faces in the pictures.

I know it must sound that I am more sad than happy, But Iam not, really. The meet-ups are a great way to meet those who we know from the posts on our message board. Trust me when I say I'm looking forward to the next meet-up I can attend and hopefully get to meet many of you.

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:56 am 

Patrish,
Somehow I missed your post!! I was showing this thread to Brett, and he cracked up over Wally's comments. He said he could just picture poor Wally's confused face when he asked if he said something wrong! HA!!

You can tell Wally I said thank you! And no, I really don't have enough shoes! I feel a trip to Tanger comin' on. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:14 am 

Quote:
Two areas that have been neglected on the board, are tattoo parlors and gentlemen's clubs.

That makes me laugh - because whenever we are in Myrtle Beach and we drive past a "Gentlemans Club" my mother-in-law says - "there aren't any gentlemen in there." I wonder what she would do if we ever drove past a club and my Father-in-law's car was there :shock: - it would be priceless!

Glad to see you had a fantastic meet-up - yes I am jealous! Not too jealous though because it will be my turn to meet-up in a couple of months (yippee!)

Leo - I guess I should warn you, people in Canada who don't live in Toronto will get upset if imply that they live in Toronto.

Quote:
I was NOT, and I repeat NOT calling from Toronto.

Seriously, Annie was easy on you. I have been on some message boards where non-Torontonians will get medieval on your *** for the mere suggestion that they live in the vicintiy of Toronto. :whip2:

Maybe we should have our next meet up at Elite Tatoo? We can all get MBMB tatoos.

:cool: Julie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:39 am 

torontojulie wrote:

Maybe we should have our next meet up at Elite Tatoo? We can all get MBMB tatoos.

Now THAT would be priceless!!

And, Julie, obviously, I love Toronto...How would you feel if Leo said "And Julie called from...gulp...Ottawa..."

See, it just doesn't sound right, now does it? Unless you're changing your name to OttawaJulie...It just doesn't have the same nice ring to it than TorontoJulie...:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:40 pm 

Deleted

Last edited by dacruise1 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:04 pm 

Annie -

At least if I was OttawaJulie I could brag about (or is it aboot?) my team beating the Leafs last night!

:off-topic: Ottawa is one of my favorite cities - I lived there for a year when I went to Carleton (before I transferred to U of T). My younger brother is just finishing up his last year of Law School at U of Ottawa and Andrew's best friend lives in Kanata - so we go there at least once a year (Hope to make it back for Canada day this year).

OK I'm done - we can finish talking about rating Gentlemen's clubs now. I'm sorry if this offends anybody - but whenever we drive past a sign for Nuttin but Horseplay I giggle a little :lol: .

:cool: Julie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:19 pm 

dacruise1 wrote:
Sure hope my wife stays out of this thread. I still can't believe she posted in the one about "Driving Directions." That is indeed frightening.

:laughing2: :ohnoes: :chairfall: :hysterical: Good one Brian!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:17 pm 

My "darling" husband wrote:
Quote:
Sure hope my wife stays out of this thread

Uhhhhh...too late! :duel[1]:

AND:
Quote:
I still can't believe she posted in the one about "Driving Directions." That is indeed frightening.

Here's a new set of directions for ya honey:
walk through our kitchen, into the living room, make a right and you'll see your new sleeping arrangements. Hope the couch is comfy!!!!!! :hysterical:

Colleen