Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:17 pm 

Ms. Kitty and I have layed out the plan, so we hope some of you locals as well as anyone vacationing this week can make it!

Sept. 13th - 6:00 p.m.
Yamato Steakhouse @ Broadway at the Beach
We'll just meet in front of Yamato

Let us know if you can come so we can be sure to have enough seating.

Hope to see you there!

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

Meet-up Yamato Steak House - Broadway at the Beach

I don't know where y'all locals are, but you not only missed a great meal tonight, you also missed an opportunity to spend time with some of our most loyal message board members.

Thanks to Jan for planning tonight's meet-up at Yamato Steak House:
http://www.yamatoinc.com/
Whew! What a meal! Everything was delicious. I ordered the filet mignon/chicken combo, served with salad, rice and veggies - and cooked with a flare right in front of our eyes! My bill including tip was right around $25.

It was so much fun to see Jan and Vickie (Mz Kitty) again, along with their husbands Mike and Kay. The meet-ups are always so uplifting for me. Jan and Vickie are such sweethearts, it's easy to see the special bond of friendship that they have formed. I can't tell you how much it means to see in person the people whose usernames we see logged onto the board almost every day.

Jan brought her sister, Becca, and Becca's husband Don. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to meet them! Leo was there too, along with Katie, Brett, and their little girls, Noelle and Kylie.

What a wonderful bunch of people! I'm not making this up when I say I felt like I had dinner tonight with some old friends.

Katie and Brett have become regulars at the meet-ups, and I always look forward to seeing them. As always, it was good to see Leo, even if he didn't want his picture taken. (I think he was having a bad hair day.)

Thanks to all of you who showed up tonight! I enjoyed it more than I can say.

Jan, Jan's husband Mike, Jan's sister Becca, Becca's husband Don, Vicki (Mz. Kitty) and Vickie's husband Kay:
http://www.funbeaches.com/yamato/yamato1.jpg

Vickie and Kay, along with a message board member who says we have enough pictures of him. "Just Photoshop me out," Leo said. I sort of like the red napkin!
http://www.funbeaches.com/yamato/yamato2.jpg

The always lovely Katie with Noelle, one of the best behaved children in all of South Carolina, and maybe the entire United States.
http://www.funbeaches.com/yamato/yamato3.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Last edited by patrish on Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:02 pm 

The meetup was a blast, however, we probably won't be taking Noelle to Yamato's again anytime soon. As soon as she saw the flames on the grill, she burst into wailing screams of terror. :cry: :BandHead:

Patrish was a delight as always and was wearing a beautiful blouse that I was rather jealous of. :lol: It's too bad Wally couldn't come too... hopefully we will see him again soon.

Vicki and Jan were so sweet. They are both such friendly and graceful women. I admire both of them. I unfortunately didn't have a chance to get to know Jan's sister, but we did get to chit chat a little as we walked to our table. She seems just as delightful as Jan. I wish I could have talked to her more. Unfortunately, I was stuck in the corner dealing with a tearful Noelle and a hungry Kylie. I didn't get a chance to walk around the table.

Brett was in heaven at this meetup... gathered around a table with a whole bunch of Buckeye fans. He can never have enough Buckeye friends. Brett (in typical Brett form) yelled out "O-H!!" as we were leaving, and the whole table yelled back "I-O!!" That put a giant smile on his face for the whole ride home. As wife of such a rabid OSU fan, I cringed and thought to myself, "You can dress him up, but you can't take him anywhere." LOL! :roll:

Thanks for setting up this meetup, Jan!! I enjoy them so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:48 pm 

We arrived at Yamato Steakhouse and found Vicki and Kay were already there. It wasn’t long until Patrish, Katie & Brett along with their beautiful girls, and Leo arrived. My sister Becca and husband Don came with us. We were seated quickly and they were able to accommodate all of us at one table.

There isn’t much more I can say that hasn’t already been said about these meet ups. We really enjoyed seeing Vicki and Kay again. They live close enough we can get together and plan to do that soon. Kay is among an elite group in this country. He is a Veteran. For me, it is truly an honor to meet someone who has sacrificed so much for all of us. He has a lot of stories to tell and I’m sure some things he would rather not remember. It is because of people like Kay, that we all have our freedom. I’ve already said this, but it’s worth saying again…thanks Kay! Vicki is one of those people you immediately feel comfortable with. She's given me some tips on being a Grandma and also recommended a book I need to check out at the library. They are a great pair!

Katie, Brett and the girls are the picture perfect family. It was great meeting them and Katie you really look great. Keep up the good work! I sat next to Brett, so of course the topic for the most part was the Buckeyes. He could be a historian for OSU football! We loved the OH-IO :cheerleader: before leaving!

It was great to finally meet Leo too. He is exactly as I expected from reading previous meet up reports. He is soft spoken and is very interested in getting to know everyone. I managed to get one picture with Vicki, Kay and Leo – and he didn’t appear to be having a bad hair day…

http://static.flickr.com/95/247071714_0e4f9cf5e3_m.jpg

He is totally in love with his granddaughters too. As Katie mentioned, Noelle got a little upset with the fire at our table and the one next to us. Leo just held her and played peek-a-boo until the flames died down. He’s an old softy, so don’t let him fool you!

Patrish, you’re the best and we so appreciate everything you do to keep the board running. Thanks for suffering all the headaches and frustration just to keep us connected to each other and to MB. It’s a big family you’ve got going here!

Vacation pics 2014

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:56 pm 

I apologize for being late with this post. Work has been crazy busy and I wanted to get out the post about our trip to the vineyard before people thought I had nothing useful left to say.

I had a chance at the last minute to get to the meetup at Yamato to meet Vicki and Jan, two of my all-time favorite people from Ohio, despite them being from Ohio. :-)

Vicki is the sweetest person you'd ever want to meet. She's intelligent, compassionate, and a great conversationalist. Kay, her husband, is an American hero who you can tell has stories to tell that would keep you at rapt attention for months if you had the opportunity. Vicki and Kay hold the distinction of being the closest residents to Xenia, OH, which means absolutely nothing to anyone who has been on the board for less than 3 months. I thoroughly enjoyed my time talking with Vicki and Kay and didn't really want the night to end.

Jan and Mike are just great people. Jan is fun-loving and smart, and like Vicki and Kay, I would spend hours just sharing stories and laughing about life circumstances. It's probable at some point that Jan and Mike will move to Myrtle Beach and I can't think of two people who'd I enjoy more as neighbors and friends. I know there's a day in our collective futures when we'll have them over when Notre Dame puts the hurt on those (lowercase) buckeyes from the Big Bad University in Columbus.

Patrish was without the Great Wallmeister (Wally) so she was my date for the night. I kept trying to surreptitiously steal the shrimp off her plate but my hand had contusions on it by the end of the evening from her constant whacking. I thought "date" qualified for plate sharing but clearly I was wrong about that.

Overall it was yet another in a long and endless line of great MB2 meet-ups. Someday I'm going to meet a loser and have to find new and creative ways not to speak ill of them. But until then, the long winning streak of super classy and completely lovable members marches on.

By the way, I'm trying to figure out where this "soft spoken" description of me is coming from because this is the third time I've heard this. I can line up about 10 friends whose last possible description of me would be "soft spoken". "Yeah, he'll be soft spoken when formaldehyde is flowing through is cold, dead arteries."

I think that comment was issued just today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:21 am 

Kay and I thoroughly enjoyed this meet-up. It was certainly a pleasure to spend the evening with these folks. Seeing Patrish again was just like seeing someone you've known forever. She is such a gracious lady and so much fun to talk to. We were sorry we didn't get to see Wally this time.

Jan & Mike. What can I say? They are two of the nicest people you'll ever meet. We had spent a great evening with them on Saturday and are looking forward to getting together with them here at home. It was a pleasure to meet her sister Becca and her husband Don.

Katie and Brett. Two wonderful people who are thoroughly devoted to their children and each other. Katie is so sweet and we enjoyed hearing Brett talk about our beloved Ohio State. These are two people I hope we get to see many times.

Contrary to what Leo might say, he really is as "softie". All you have to do is watch him with his grandchildren. They are truly blessed to have him as their Grandpa. He took the time to really get to know us and showed a genuine interest in our lives and that meant a lot to us. Leo, I look forward to the day when we move to Myrtle Beach and get to spend more time with you. Hope we see you next summer and that we'll get to meet Charlotte.

The evening was over way too soon and we look forward to another meet-up next summer.

Post subject: Leo
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:44 am 

Leo wrote:
Quote:
By the way, I'm trying to figure out where this "soft spoken" description of me is coming from because this is the third time I've heard this.

Leo, Make it FOUR! I would also describe you as "soft spoken".

Now mind you, I haven't been in your company when:
the Red Sox are losing :BandHead:...
a duffer hits your house with a golf ball :angry5:...
Brett tries to engage you in a conversation about the virtues of Ohio State :boxing: ...
Icihiban insists on giving you golfing tips :drinkin: ...
OR Charlotte asks you take Noelle and Kaylee to Build-a-Bear on a busy summer weekend! :shock:

I'm speaking for myself but I'm sure the other MB2 members who have had the privledge of meeting you in person would agree that what makes you "you" is the way you are genuinely interested in getting to know each and every one of us. You look forward to meet-ups, know most of us before we even get there, ask tons of questions, listen intently to responses, and have a memory like an elephant. (Ok, I have just informed that elephants don't really have good memories, it's just a myth). You get my point!

Now perhaps half of that wouldn't matter if you were a shmuck of a guy. But you're not, you are the REAL DEAL: a devoted husband and loving "grampy", a loyal and supportive friend who is always willing to help without being asked, and a great human being with an awesome sense of humor. We're all better for getting an opportunity to know you.

Permission to start blushing :oops: (in a soft spoken way!)
Colleen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:07 am 

I'll echo what Colleen said and just add that perhaps the reason Leo seems so soft-spoken (which I agree he is) is that when he's talking with you, or anyone else in the room, he asks questions and makes the conversation about everyone but himself. He really listens and is genuinely interested in the people he's listening to. That's a rare quality, as most people would rather talk about themselves than find out about those around them. Leo is truly a "humanitarian" in the sense that he's interested in every human he comes into contact with, either in person or online. In this day of people moving through life at lightning speed it's a wonderful thing to find someone you'd want to just sit with and talk with for hours and hours. Leo is that person.

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:54 am 

:ac41[1]:

Well, this is a first! I've NEVER heard Dad described as soft spoken before today. (Are pigs flying over Kentucky? What's the weather like in hell today?) :hysterical:

Quote:
soft-spo‧ken  /ˈsɔftˈspoʊkən, ˈsɒft-/
–adjective
1. (of persons) speaking with a soft or gentle voice; mild.
2. (of words) softly or mildly spoken; persuasive.

Dad is definitely genuine and caring and interested in people and all the other things you said. But that doesn't mathematically add up to "soft spoken." It adds up to WICKED AWESOME!!! :lol:

He's not soft spoken. Ask his co-worker buddies (lovingly referred to as his "posse"). Ask me... I grew up with him. Ask Charlotte. Ask his mother!! His voice may not "carry" across a room like Ichiban's (tee hee!), but he's definitely got ALOT to say, and not so quietly. HAHA! He also loves to heckle and harass those who are his closest friends or family members.

Brett, my sister, and I have been insisting for years that he has an uncanny resemblance to Bill OReilly of Fox News. Dad can debate the pants off you and leave you wondering what hit you. He has very strong opinions about a great many things. And he's not intimidated by touchy issues... politics, religion, issues of the day, etc... :duel[1]:

Anyway, this coming from a daughter's perspective... I've been at the butt end of his "NON-soft spokeness" many many times. I think there was even one time when he went all Terminator on me... "I Must Break Youuuu!" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:38 pm 

I guess I can call this the official "latest post" about the meet up on 9/13/06 at Yahamoto.

All I can say is it was great to meet some of the folks I see posting here. I don't get on often, but always learn new things about this beautiful area! Hubby Don truly enjoyed it too.

Since then, we have met Vicki and Kay closer to home and we both agree, making new friends is wonderful. Isn't that what life is all about?

GO BUCKS!