Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:54 pm 

Edited by Patrish for meetup date and place. See posts below.

Donut Man
http://tinyurl.com/28cw8f6

Any one open to a meet up between Dec. 26-31. Yes, it's early, and it will be a holiday week, but if anyone is going to be in Myrtle Beach, let's see if we can't get together for a meet-up. I'm up for it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:48 am 
Site Admin

We had an EXCELLENT meet-up last night at the Donut Man

In attendance were Mike (MikeL) along with his wife Cindy, Chris and Judy (Beach Lady) Pat and Rich (richmax46) and of course Wally and I.

Because of another appointment, Mike and Cindy had to leave early. No sooner were they on their way when Wally said "We should have gotten a picture before they left! " Yes, I had the camera in the bag, but didn't think if it until it was too late to call them back. So I need to apologize to Mike and Cindy! Next time!

It always amazes me how, at a meet-up, people quickly drift from being strangers into the "Hope we can do this again soon" model I shouldn't be surprised because it happens every time. I guess it is because we all love Myrtle Beach, and that's an excellent conversation starter. But the conversations go beyond the beach and drift into a more personal level such as pets, children, or grandchildren, and hometowns. Before you know it, it's getting late, and when we say "It was so good to meet you" it rings true every time.

This was the first official meet-up for Chris and Judy. Judy and I have had lunch together, and she introduced up to Chris to us once at Taste of the Town a couple years ago. They are both a a lot of fun to be around, and it was good to have the opportunity to get better acquainted with them.

We've known Pat and Rich for a number of years and visited with them at their lovely Land's End condo on prior occasions. Some of you may recall that they adopted their puppy Murphy from the animal shelter here last year. They're another couple you would love to have as your neighbor!

Mike and Cindy have also been to prior meet-ups, and Mike has been a message board member almost since the beginning. Both he and Cindy work for AVEX (a manufacturer and Supplier of Electronic Components) here in Myrtle Beach. It was good to see them again.

Unfortunately, Jeff and Connie (Jeff55inva) from Farmville, VA had to cancel the meet-up due to problems with his job. Connie was just getting back on her feet again from back surgery, and I know they were looking forward to their beach trip. Jeff, we all missed both you and Connie. Hope you felt the positive vibes coming your way!

As you can see in the picture, Chris and Judy bought and shared a large box of donuts! I did not have one, but Wally and the others said they were really good.

Thanks, everyone, for making the effort in this cold weather to get together at the Donut Man. Meet-ups always mean a lot to me! Here's the picture, and Wally is behind the camera!

Chris, Judy, Pat, Me, Rich

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:38 am 

My husband Chris and I (beachlady) attended our first meet-up last night. Over the years I have read many meet-up reports and realize how true they all were. For some reason the magic just happens and it is not like getting together with strangers but with old friends. I was concerned that Chris would sit there like a bump on a log and not say a word. Needless fear, as I kept having to kick his leg to try and get him to be quiet. Ditto for what Patrish already said about what a great time we all had. Patrish as many of you already know is such a gracious, interesting, southern lady in the true sense of the word. We really had not met Wally before but he is just as I had imagined him. He is a very kind, soft spoken, caring individual. You can tell by the sparkle in his eyes that he truly cares about people. We also had the opportunity to meet Pat and Rich from New Hampshire and Mike and Cindy from Myrtle Beach. I really enjoyed my conversations with Pat. I hope I did not overwhelm her with too many questions. She has been in the education field for 30+ years and continues to set new goals to further her profession. She was such a motivated individual it made me question my lack of motivation. Maybe i will take some classes next semester. Her husband Rich was very nice also. He told some funny stories about their dog Murphy. Chris and Mike were both retired military so they had that it common. I did not get the opportunity to speak much to Cindy as she was sitting at the far end of the table. Keep in mind, Cindy, Pat and Chris are not on the board so may have felt a little out of the loop when we talked about the board. Maybe Cindy was fortunate to be far from me as she did not have to get my third degree. I am always interested in people and why they are where they are. Patrish and Mike also told us quite a bit about local attractions, restaurants, etc. Meet-ups are very special events. I highly recommend attending one if possible. That old camp song keeps going through my mind. "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver the other is gold". Sure missed meeting Jeff and Connie. Initially it was his idea for this meet-up. A special thanks to The Donut Man for providing a clean, nice environment for us to get together. Happy New Year to everyone.i

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:44 am 

It sounds like we have some new believers in attending meet ups! :cheerleader: We've seen The Donut Man and wondered about it. Maybe we'll add that to our long list of places to try. Glad you all had a great time!

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:33 am 

Pat and I have attended several meet ups during recent years, some large, some small, but they all have the same feeling of camaraderie fostered by our common love of all things Myrtle Beach. Monday's meet up at the Donut Man was no exception. We had a chance to meet Mike and Cindy and Judy and Chris for the first time followed by easy conversation covering many different topics. Patrish and Wally were their always warm and gracious selves, making everyone relaxed and welcomed. I can only recommend that anyone who has a chance to attend a meet up, please do so. It is a great experience that will leave you looking forward to your next opportunity.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Meet ups are so great!! So many wonderful friendships have evolved since our first meet up! Who'd a thunk it :???: !!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:01 pm 

Hello Guys and Gals!!!!!
Glad to read you all had a good time. If things had worked out, we would have been there. But, do to the lousy economy and the profession I'm in (Water well drilling/ pump installation) this past year was extremely, and I mean EXTREMELY hard. We did some paperwork today (yeah, it's not even 2 p.m. and I'm home already, and told not to report to work in the morning, so another pay-day with NO PAYCHECK) and we ONLY drilled 71 wells this year. DOWN 35 from last year (and WE thought LAST YEAR was tough!!!), and a whopping 118 from the year before. We WERE doing 3-4 per week from the day I started 20 + years ago, even had a stretch of 6-8 weeks during the drought 5-7 years ago of doing 11 per week (That's when we had 2 full drilling teams out drilling), and me the only pump istaller. MY, how times have changed!!!!!
And then with this past snow we had Sat. and Sun., the wife slipped in the snow, and twisted her back. That laid her up til today. She's NOT 100%, and WILL be seeing her Dr. 1st. thing Monday, Jan3.
Things have been so terrible this past year, with the month of Dec. in particular, with Christmas and all. We did have a fairly good Christmas day, spoiled that grandson of ours to peices (but hey, isn't that what Grandchildren are for????). Us adults only exchanged 1 gift each, but that was o.k. All 5 of us were together, and we had a great meal, so all in all it wasn't bad at all.
Here's hoping EVERYONE who posts on this board has a HEALTHIER and HAPPIER 20011 !!!!!!!!! We really missed our trip (even tho we had 5 inches of snow on the ground the morning we were supposed to leave, I would have drove, even if the trip took ALL DAY. That's how much we wanted to get away.) But it didn't work out. There's always next year!!!
Thank you ALL for the kind thoughs, prayers and words extended to us thru the wife's surgery and recovery. They REALLY meant, and still do MEAN, a lot to BOTH of us!!! We very much appreciate it!!!
So....as we leave 2010, I thank you all, wish you all well, and if things improve (Hopefully, as word around town is that one of the other well drillers will be closing up shop after tomorrow. So sorry for them, but it could just as easily been us.) we'll be in Myrtle Beach for our Summer Vacation, approx. dates Aug. 20-27. If not, we'll get back there some day!! Take care MY FRIENDS, and THANK YOU ALL!!!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:25 am 

Hope things get better for you Jeff. It sounds like those who attended the meetup had a nice time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:50 pm 

It never rains but it pours! Jeff, I am sure you are glad to bid 2010 farewell. Reading your post made me take pause and count my blessings and I thank you for that. Sending all good vibes your way for 2011.