Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:34 pm 

Let’s play the Meet Up broken record now. You’ve all heard how much fun they are, how we all feel like family, or we’ve been best friends all our lives, they are the highlight of our trip, how we laughed for hours, and didn’t want the evening to end. Well….it’s all true! So people! Get to a meet up on your next trip. You won’t regret it.

Patrish and Wally hosted a little get together before dinner. Leo & Charlotte and Maureen & Robert were there when we arrived.

Maureen and Robert are here for a month, poor souls :roll: This was their first meet up, and I think by the time they left, they realized we aren’t a bunch of crazy people that go to these things. It was a pleasure meeting them and we hope this will be the first of many meet ups they will attend.

After a few appetizers, we were off to Gordon Biersch at Market Common for dinner with Patrish & Wally and Leo & Charlotte. We had a great time visiting and catching up since our last visit and the evening went way too fast for us. Unfortunately, I didn’t take any pictures, but Patrish took our portraits at the house. :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing the evening with us! Until next year…..

Vacation pics 2014

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:46 pm 

Jan, Robert is RON! Sorry I probably did not introduce him to you.
Jan is right in saying that meet ups are fun and we look forward to many more
Maureen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

OK...Jan beat me to it! I had a dentist appointment this morning and just got home.

We had a small meet-up last night which started out at our house.

Maureen has been a long-time member, but this was her first meet-up. I knew she was nervous, and even when I saw their car arrive at the house, I half expected them to bolt. But they took deep breath and shut off the motor just before I started to go out there and bodily drag them in.

In my mind's eye, I can see many of you old-timers reading this and nodding, remembering your first meet-up. But as you have already guessed, Maureen and Ron fit right into our message board family. They are living in Canada, but are both from the UK, so their accent makes you want to sit up straight keep your elbows off the table.

Jan and Mike (Ohio) are such sweethearts. Many of you have already had the pleasure of meeting them since they love the meetups and schedule one whenever they come to the beach. They recently returned from a vacation in FL and said they were soooo happy to get back "home" to Myrtle Beach! What's next? A day trip to Wilmington, or maybe Charleston. We'll be anxious to hear what destination you choose! LOL! Thanks for working us into you vacation.

I clearly remember meeting Leo and Charlotte at our first meet-up in June 2005. Charlotte is just as sweet and pretty as she was then. Leo is...well, let's just say he hasn't changed either. (But you know I still love you, my friend.)

Maureen and Ron left us after the meet-up, and the six of us headed for Gordon Biersch for a later dinner.
http://www.gordonbiersch.com/
Leo and Charlotte have managed to accumulate something like 500,000 points on the GB Passport card, good toward free food. Wally and have 300. Go figure.

Katie, I know you got held up with work at the last minute. I'm so sorry you didn't make it. I missed seeing you.

It was a fun evening, thanks again to all our friends.

Maureen and Ron:
http://www.funbeaches.com/Oct.09/maureen.jpg

Charlotte and Leo:
http://www.funbeaches.com/Oct.09/charlotte.jpg

Jan and Mike:
http://www.funbeaches.com/Oct.09/jan-mike.jpg

Wally and me:
http://www.funbeaches.com/Oct.09/us.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Last edited by patrish on Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:42 pm 

What LOVELY pictures of everyone!! I'm not sure what couple would win "most distinguished" because you all look amazing!!

So glad the meet-up went well and everyone enjoyed visiting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:59 pm 

I haven't commented on a meet-up in a long time because either I haven't been to many in the last year or I just didn't have the time. But I think for last night I'll make an exception.

Patrish hog-tied us and made us come to their house last night for the meet-up. She called me Sunday morning (right in the middle of church, by the way; good thing the phone was on vibrate!) to tell me, "You have to come. Maureen and Ron are coming and I think they may be packing heat."

Well, I'm nothing if not a defender of the weak and paranoid so I packed my portable light saber and off we went.

Actually that's not true. I left the light saber at home.

The virtue of these meet-ups has been extolled countless times since the first one four years ago so there's no real point to belaboring it. Nevertheless the quality of most of the people who frequent this board can't be overstated.

Jan and Mike are just wonderful people. We spent our Sunday morning with them at Beach Church and then went over to McAllister's Deli for lunch (along with Brett, Katie, and the girls). They are quintessential middle Americans from Milford Center, OH, just outside of Columbus, and they share all the values of what you imagine most people from middle America uphold -- truth, justice, and unflinching support for federal soybean subsidies. They are fun, disarming, and lovable.

At the meet-up Mike complained of a stomach ache because of his dining experience at Five Guys at lunch. "I ate too much." Yet in their write-up they mentioned that they only had the Wussy Burger, the tiny, single patty version they usually make for people who just had their stomachs stapled. And here we were a full 6 hours later and Mike was still doubled over in pain. He opted for a salad. In the rough and tumble world of competitive eating, Mike would be disqualified just for showing up. I suspect Five Guys will post his picture in every storefront and bar him from future admittance.

Jan is just a wonderful person, even if she's barely ever been out of her birthplace county in Ohio. She went to Florida for the vert first time earlier this year. She's never been to New York, Detroit, or Kauai.

"But I've been to Xenia!" Alrighty then.

So we spent a good 30 minutes at dinner trying to convince them (her) that they should take a day this week and visit Charleston so she can tell her granddaughter that, "Grammy has TO been to a city with a population of more than 7,000!" We'll have to see what shows up on the trip report later this week.

Maureen and Ron were just delightful. They're from Canada so immediately you suspect them to sound either western Canadian, with a lot of "eh's" and "oot's", or heavily French, like Annie and Bruno only making more sense. (I love you, Bruno!) But it was neither! They both had that lovable English accent that completely mangles good American English. You know how this works. You stand there while they tell stories and you only really understand half of what they're saying, so you politely nod in feigned understanding while you shift glances at Mike and Jan, looking for some help in translation, only to find they're too busy checking commodity prices for turnips on their Blackberry.

Seriously, Maureen is wonderful. She appeared a little terrified when she first arrived with that deer-caught-in-the-headlights look. Once she realized the 30 gallon trash bags under the sink weren't to be used to dispose of their dismembered bodies, they were fine. (A common thought of most first-time meet-up attendees.) I had a great time talking to Maureen. She told me of her desire to move to Myrtle Beach but how the American immigration officials won't let her in because she confessed that, and I quote here, " . . . in a previous life I was the Tory governor of Braintree, MA." No, seriously! Nevertheless, she would love to move here some day if they can manage it and my feeling is the sooner the better. Myrtle Beach can only be a better place with Maureen and Ron as residents -- hopefully while not driving on the left side of the road.

Ron was a warm and gregarious teddy bear. He's evidently the cook in the family who once worked as a chef at both a hospital AND a prison. After he told us this there was a slight pause, then Maureen laughed and said, "I know what you're all thinking. His food must be terrible! After all, hospital food AND prison food???" I can honestly say it never crossed my mind until I looked over at Patrish who was working as hard as she could to stifle a laugh. Then it crossed my mind that Patrish really DOES have a dark side. :-) Meanwhile Jan and Mike were still trying to find out the day's high on the price of yellow beans.

All in all it was a terrific night. Patrish and Wally are the perfect hosts. I always thought their former home in Southwood was spectacular but the new house in Wither's Preserve is even more incredible. Then again, the warm and loving atmosphere they set is what you would expect from the two people who also set the tone for the message board.

It goes without saying that if you've never been to a meet-up you should make every effort to fit one into your schedule. Your message board friends are amazing people. Even if some of them can't hold their burgers. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:08 pm 

Maureen wrote:
Jan, Robert is RON! Sorry I probably did not introduce him to you.
Jan is right in saying that meet ups are fun and we look forward to many more
Maureen

So sorry for my confusion! :oops: But Maureen, thanks for giving me an easy way out: There is such a striking resemblance between Ron and Robert Redford, that "Robert" just stuck in my mind!

We really enjoyed visiting with you....twice! :mrgreen:

Vacation pics 2014

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:12 pm 

Leo - I don't know what to say :dontknow: other than the price of yellow beans is skyrocketing...sell, sell, sell!

Nice work :lol:

And by the way, have you paid your respects to dear Alice Flagg?? :mrgreen:

Vacation pics 2014

Last edited by Jan on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:34 am 

Oh dear we simply must start talking slowly! question is how can ARMY cook sound like PRISON cook, really Leo you simply must pay more attention! :lol:
Maureen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:33 pm 

Maureen, I am glad you did make the meet up. See the people are normal (I think} At least they seem to be when I am around them. I have met Leo and charlotte and Patrish and Wally but not Jan and Mike yet.

And Leo, good remark about the garbage bags being used to dispose of bodies. I had those thoughts running thru my head also when I went to my first get together with "you guys" Sorry, I say that alot.

Maureen, I think hospital food is good. Tell your husband that. Never got a chance to try prison food and I'd like to keep it that way.

Have a great vacation Maureen,Jan and Mike too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:39 pm 

traderboynh wrote:
They're from Canada so immediately you suspect them to sound either western Canadian, with a lot of "eh's" and "oot's", or heavily French, like Annie and Bruno only making more sense. (I love you, Bruno!)

I sound heavily French???

:lol:

I still don't get why Maureen and her husband didn't bolt when they saw you... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:53 pm 

Annie, you don't SOUND heavily French. You LOOK heavily French. Bruno LOOKS and SOUNDS heavily French.

Maureen and Ron didn't bolt because they recognized me for the warm, engaging, lovable, generous person I am. :-)

So tell me again wise guy, WHERE are you staying when you go to Orlando in January? I hear living in the streets can be mighty cold that time of year, even in central Florida.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:44 pm 

traderboynh wrote:
Annie, you don't SOUND heavily French. You LOOK heavily French. Bruno LOOKS and SOUNDS heavily French.

Maureen and Ron didn't bolt because they recognized me for the warm, engaging, lovable, generous person I am. :-)

So tell me again wise guy, WHERE are you staying when you go to Orlando in January? I hear living in the streets can be mighty cold that time of year, even in central Florida.

Oh yeah!!!! Orlando... I had almost forgotten for a second... :mrgreen: