Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tilted Kilt closing...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:53 pm 

Looks like it is over for The Tilted Kilt at Broadway. Their last day is September 30th.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/26421646/ ... ptember-3-

I guess maybe this didn't fit in with the image B & C wants for Broadway. Based on the one time we ate there it will not be a big loss. Let's hope something great takes it place.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:31 pm 

I saw the story (then checked this board to see if it was already posted here) - and immediately thought "Hmmm, another opportunity for Cheesecake Factory to locate here?"

Looking at the WMBF Facebook comments, I'm not alone...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Gino. You are on the ball. I really don't think this restaurant will be missed. We went there once with a couple of friends. The main attraction seemed to be the girls dressed in kilts, and the food was secondary. For us, it was a one-time venture to see what it was all about...and we never returned.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:09 am 

We ate here once, and it wasn't the same as the one near me. The food wasn't any good at the MB location, but the Lehigh Valley location has great food and is still open. Been open 3 years and another one is opening soon in the area. Did the waitresses wear kilts, I didn't notice?! :clown:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:49 am 

The Broadway location was my first and last visit to a Tilted Kilt. It's way too pricey and far too bland.

Oh and those who think a Cheesecake Factory would be a great addition, I beg to differ. Several years ago, they were terrific. Lately, they've become your run of the mill chain restaurant offering palatable food but awful service. They're not nearly as good as they used to be.

How about a Fox & Hound? I think it would do well at Broadway.

Post subject: Tilted Kilt closing...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:55 pm 

Patrish I don't think the kilts were the main attraction. I think and I'm just guessing here but I think the main attraction was the low cut tops. And I'm talking about on the girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:10 pm 

I agree about getting a Fox and Hound in there vs Cheesecake Factory. The one by me has really gne downhill. Overpriced mediocre food at best. Their cheesecake is still amazing but that's about it.

Landmark Resort August 2005
Boardwalk Beach Resort July 2006
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2007, 2008, 2009
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2010
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2011, 2012, 2013
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2014
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2015

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:35 pm 

Hey Y'all, hope you had an enjoyable Holiday weekend, wherever you were, I spent 3 days
on the beach and met Forum member Bruce and his wife, Madeline, yesterday on the beach.

Now if only I could get my question answered about Tilted Kilt, the article states that B&C is
buying the rights to KT, what does that mean?

If they are buying the rights to this location, why is it closing? B&C owns Broadway, so did TK give them something/part ownership of the name for breaking the lease? The article left me with more questions than answers.

As to Cheesecake Factory and Dave and Buster's, until people start to go out and eat when on vacation, as well as those that live here more, these big names will not be coming to the beach, not with the rents that are required and the numbers of heads needed for the ROI.

I still am sorry the area built all these high rise condo's along the beach, now people pay big bucks to come and stay here and can't afford to go out and eat, which is what your supposed to do on vacation.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:48 pm 

Gary,

Are you trying to say that vacationers do not eat out on vacation?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:46 am 

Deanna, I am not lumping all visitors and locals together, but yes I am
saying that unlike years ago, less people, who vacation here, go out to
eat at sit down restaurants, a lot less than the 2-3 times a day as in the
past.

I was not making the post as a negative against anyone, just stating
that people come here and eat in a lot while on vacation, which they could not
do years ago, as they did not have kitchen facilities like today's condo's.

What brought the large restaurants here in the 90's was the number of visitors
that started to come and more on a year round basis, so the numbers made
sense to come and open here.

It was shortly after and during this time that the high-rise boom was taking
place and the number of folks eating out multiple times a day decreased.

Phroggy made a great point the other day, he is in a property that wanted
$1900 or so for the week, he went direct through the owner and paid $700,
thus he has lots of money available to do things and have fun, while the person
who paid the $1900 may not be able to do any extra activities and may go out
to eat for one nice meal.

My original point was, the small hotels and motels were great, clean and we
all were happy with them, now a lot of people can't afford the large rents here and
still have money for all we have to offer in the way of entertainment, meals,
attractions and so on.

To anyone that took offence to my post, I apologize, that does happen with the written
word, you can't hear the voice inflections and pick up the true meaning of some statements.

Stay well
Gary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:57 am 

It has now been stated that B&C has acquired the rights to the TK name in Horry County as well as taken back the remaining 17 years of the lease and most of the assets within the building.

So it appears the TK Franchisee negotiated out of his lease without worrying about being sued for the balance, there may have been some other remuneration also not yet know, because 17 years is a lot of money owed.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:53 am 

I agree with the decline of people going out. Back in the 90's we would have a group of 12 or so people with us for our vactions. We would go out to eat somewhere pretty much every night, most of these places were the big time facitlies such as the NASCAR Cafe, Original Benjamins and other buffets, Hard Rock Cafe, Johnny Rockets, House of Blues, Dixie Stampede, Margaritaville etc. Over time we would then have 1-2 meals made inside the condo (skettie night!), order pizza, or hit up Taco Bell. Largely in part due to the cost of our condo. Besides eating a few more meals in the condo, or resultling to fast food, we have cut out all the big name touristy type attractions to save money. On occasion we may try an old one such as Margaritaville for a lunch, since the prices aren't as high. We have never been to the Tilted Kilt, and have mostly been avoiding all restaurants at BATB, especially after our horrible experience at Liberty last year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:04 pm 

First off, my wife, Madeline, and I did meet Gary on the beach the other day and it is amazing how much the man knows about what goes on around here.

Secondly, as much as no one seems to like Tilted Kilt, it is not going away. It will be opening up elsewhere in Myrtle Beach this spring.
Bad location at BATB for this business so they are moving it.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/0 ... /209/&rh=1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:15 pm 

We liked it see other thread.viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12462

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:24 pm 

Gary,

LOL...I didn't take your post negatively. When I went back and read my response I can see how it might have read that way. Didn't mean it that way at all. I guess I am just naive when it comes to restaurants. There is a Cheesecake Factory in Knoxville that we have been to several times. It is always packed and has been for 3 years now. I guess I just can't figure out how Knoxville, Tennessee can support a Cheesecake Factory and Myrtle Beach couldn't. People literally drive for hours to go to it. I guess maybe the competition would be more fierce in MB, but I still think it would be a popular place. Who knows! Of course I am still amazed every time I drive down Ocean Blvd and think about all the rooms that each hotel has and how they all stay in business. It is mind boggling.