Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:19 am 

Last night we decided to venture out to International Kitchen http://www.internationalkitchensc.com/index.html Somehow I had stumbled upon some excellent reviews of this little restaurant a couple months ago and decided to put it on our must try list. The location is a bit out of the way, tucked in the back of a strip mall a couple of miles up Hwy 9 from Hwy 31. We own a vacation place in Barefoot Resort, so it's not too far for us and was definitely worth the drive!

IK specializes in Polish foods, but does offer a variety of other foods as well. The menu is fairly small, but each night they offer 3-4 specials as well as 2 soups. We discovered that on Tuesdays, meatloaf is always one of the specials and last night they also had a bone-in pork chop and lasagna. We were waited on by one of the owners (her name is a Polish variation on Elizabeth, I don't remember exactly so I'll just call her Elizabeth for the purpose of this review and hope that she forgives me) and her husband was cooking. She explained to us that virtually everything is homemade - including the pasta in the lasagna. My husband's family is polish on his mom's side so he tried the "Polish Delight" which was kind of a sampler of polish sausage, stuffed cabbage, a couple pierogies and a light and refreshing carrot and apple salad (shredded almost like a slaw would be). My daughter had pierogies and I tried the Jaeger pork schnitzel which was served with potato pancakes and that same apple/carrot salad. Entrees come with your choice of soup or salad. Two homemade soups were offered last night - pickle soup and potato soup. I asked Elizabeth to describe the potato soup a bit and she graciously brought us a small sample cup of each soup with 3 spoons so that we could try them out. I know pickle soup sounds odd, but it was really delicious! We all ended up getting that with our meals. The potato soup was also great but the pickle was just so unique we had to go with it - both were in a nice light broth (not heavy like chowder) and very flavorful. Note: you do not get a small cup of soup with your meal, it is a HUGE bowl. My daughter and I could not finish it or that would likely have been our entire meal! We all really enjoyed our entrees and we will definitely be making IK a regular stop for us! The pierogies were huge & delicious and just stuffed full of potato/cheese filling. The stuffed cabbage had tons of flavor and a nice, light tomato sauce and the pork schnitzel & accompanying mushroom sauce were great. The potato pancakes are unlike any I've seen before - very large and thin - but very tasty. My daughter sampled some of mine and fell in love with them.

Even though we were all stuffed after our meals (with leftovers to bring home) we were so tempted by Elizabeth's desserts. She told us that she had driven up to Bellamy Farms that morning (for anyone who doesn't know, this is just a few more miles up Hwy 9) and bought fresh blueberries and peaches that she baked into a kind of coffee cake. She also had her signature bread pudding, make with cream of coconut and topped with toasted coconut. We took one of each to go and had them as a late snack last night. They were just as yummy as we'd imagined and right on par with entrees.

I asked Elizabeth whether they would do catering trays of pierogies or stuffed cabbage so that we might get some to have at our house when the hubby's family is here. She said she would gladly do that, but would need advanced notice - she proudly told us that she doesn't freeze her pierogies or stuffed cabbage (or anything else) so she'd need to know in order to make enough for that day. She also told me that I could then pull out the food & to show my mother-in-law what "I" had made! So cute! Also, she rattled off many other Polish dishes that were not on the menu that she could make for us with advanced notice. So if there's some Polish food you're craving, I'd say feel free to ask and she can probably accommodate you. Note that she did tell us that some items on their menu would not hold or reheat well and so she would not do those in a large batch (the potato pancakes are one such example). She said we wouldn't be happy with the quality and neither would she!

If you're wondering about the non-Polish food, a couple sitting next to us (who were obviously regulars) had tried the meatloaf for the first time and told us it was the best meatloaf they had ever had. The woman said it was better than her own mom's meatloaf.

Also note that this is a small restaurant (maybe 15 tables or so) but they do take reservations and you can also call in an order for carryout.

Overall, I would definitely recommend IK. It's not "fine dining" but it IS delicious, homemade food prepared by kind and friendly people who obviously take great pride in what they do.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you so very much for this restaurant review! It certainly sounds like a place we would like to try.

I know that writing a restaurant review is never as easy as it seems going into it, and I think you did a wonderful job.Thanks so much for taking the time to write this for our board!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:31 pm 

Wow - what a review! It should make everyone want to go there! Sounds really fantastic!

mmmm pierogies...I love pierogies!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:09 pm 

Your right very good food, another gem out on Hwy 9 and her name is
Elzbieta if I remember correctly.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:21 pm 

Sounds like we need to get out there and try it Thank You :beerchug:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:53 am 

Thanks Patrish! I never mean to get quite so wordy - I hope I didn't bore everyone to death!

Thank you Gary - now that I see it, that is definitely her name.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:52 pm 

A trip report/restaurant review of any kind is never boring. Thanks for sharing.