Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carrabbas Italian Grill
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:34 pm 

We visited Carrabbas on a whim and boy are we glad we did. I am usually not a chain restaurant type of gal. This was NOT your average Olive Garden by ANY means. The parking lot was packed and the inside was buzzing but in a good way. They have a wide open cooking area so you can watch the chefs and people were doing exactly that. We ordered and the food was outstanding. I had the chicken Bryan which was topped with goat cheese, sundried tomatoes, and a basil lemon butter sauce. Oh My! It came with a large starter salad and pasta with marinara sauce. Paul had the "Johnny" which was sirloin marsala and the the chicken Bryan, Sy had the lobster ravioli and my mom had Penne Franco which had mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts and black olives in garlic and oil with ricotta salata cheese. Everyone loved their meal. we even had dessert...bread pudding with limoncello sauce and cannolis. Everything was above what we had anticipated and the waitress was the most professional young lady ever. "A" rating from us.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:44 pm 

That sounds delicious! (We need a drooling smiley! :lol:)

Landmark Resort August 2005
Boardwalk Beach Resort July 2006
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2007, 2008, 2009
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2010
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2011, 2012, 2013
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2014
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2015

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:46 pm 

Thanks for the review, Emmy. We have passed this place and wondered many times. On the list.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:04 pm 

Mike and I ate there last week and really liked it. We went traditaional - spaghetti & meatballs and lasagna. Both were great. Service was also very good. We will likely go there again.

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:59 am 

During a trip a 4 years back, some friends drove down a few days after us arriving late at night. We picked up a Carrabbas lasagna "to go" so dinner would be ready. I was skeptical (as I always am of chain restaurants), but it was very good..... and huge ! We were eating leftovers all week.

Unfortunately we have yet to return.... but only because of the bazillion other food choices in the area.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:46 pm 

I like Carrabbas, but I always have a hard time paying high prices for Italian food. Italian food is so cheap to make, and it's hard to prepare it much different for me to justify paying $11 for spaghetti at a sit down place or $3.99 at Fazoli's. We still do occasionally go to Carrabbas or Olive Garden, but I always walk away thinking I could have been just as satisfied with Fazoli's.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:27 pm 

MBKY wrote:
We still do occasionally go to Carrabbas or Olive Garden, but I always walk away thinking I could have been just as satisfied with Fazoli's.

There is literally NO comparison between Carrabbas and Fazoli's. Comparing Fazoli's and Carrabbas is like comparing McDonald's to a fine steak house. They both serve beef but the quality and preparation is night and day. I really didn't feel Carrabbas was overpriced at all for the service, quality, and freshness of food. Just my opinion though :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:54 pm 

Sun n' Fun wrote:
MBKY wrote:
We still do occasionally go to Carrabbas or Olive Garden, but I always walk away thinking I could have been just as satisfied with Fazoli's.

There is literally NO comparison between Carrabbas and Fazoli's. Comparing Fazoli's and Carrabbas is like comparing McDonald's to a fine steak house. They both serve beef but the quality and preparation is night and day. I really didn't feel Carrabbas was overpriced at all for the service, quality, and freshness of food. Just my opinion though :wink:

Most of my crew orders simple items like spaghetti. Not too many different ways to prepare that item and my kids are satisfied just as much. Laying down a $20 bill instead of $60 to pay for the meal makes me a happier man at the end of the day. Looks like you guys order items that you can't get at a place like Fazoli's. :lol: Just my personal opinion. No offense to Carrabbas. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:11 pm 

No offense taken at all! I appreciate your opinion :hello: . When Fazolis was in NMB, it's gone now, we would go when we needed something quick and we always had fun...

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:10 am 
Site Admin

The first time we went to Carrabbas, many years ago, I ordered their Chicken Marsala. It was excellent, and back then it was 13.95. We don't go there often, but that's still what I order most of the time. I've tried making this at home, but I can't decide if it just wasn't as good, or if eating it in the restaurant with no preparation or clean-up time on my part made me THINK it was better in the restaurant. LOL!
http://www.food.com/recipe/carrabbas-ch ... ala-220870
(The last time we were there they offered two sizes of this dish...small 14.50 and regular 16.50.)

I can understand that taking several people to Carrabbas who order only spaghetti can get expensive. Their basic spaghetti topped with pomodoro sauce is 10.00. If you want meatballs, add $3. That's a lot to pay if you have a many people in your group.

Quote Emmy:
"When Fazolis was in NMB, it's gone now..."
The Surfside location is gone too...now it's a barbecue restaurant. I think the closest location to us now is in Washington, DC.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:58 pm 

patrish wrote:
The Surfside location is gone too...now it's a barbecue restaurant. I think the closest location to us now is in Washington, DC.

Surfside Fazoli's is now closed? That was a place that we always depended on to feed our picky eater on our way back to the room. What a disappointment that will be for him.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

Yes...it's gone. Here are the locations:
http://fazolis.com/locator/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:10 pm 

patrish wrote:
Yes...it's gone. Here are the locations:
http://fazolis.com/locator/

Always busy when we went. Sometimes I don't understand how some places stay open and others close.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:00 pm 

I am bummed that Fazoli's is gone from NMB. Not many good fast food italian places around. What replaced it?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:02 pm 

kevin80 wrote:
I am bummed that Fazoli's is gone from NMB. Not many good fast food italian places around. What replaced it?

The BBQ House. Here is their link http://www.bestbbqonthebeach.com/