Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:43 pm 

Usually on our last day in Surfside Beach we will go out to dinner and usually that place is Angelo’s Steak & Pasta. This past Tuesday I decided to try a new place , Angus Steakhouse & Seafood which had opened recently on the site of Angelo’s old place, which is only 3 or 4 blocks from Angelo’s new place (my wife couldn't make the trip due to work and so I was dining alone). Bold move being that close to a restaurant that popular and serving basically the same food. So I had to try it.
Upon entering the first thing you notice are all the stuffed animals (taxidermy). There is a moose, steer, three wooden Indians, a bear …. Well you can see them in the pictures below. There is one section made to look like a mess hall with the head of a steer on the wall, a saddle and hand carved (the girl said) table and chairs. Another section has 3 or 4 tables placed among 3 Indians, a full size bear and a cougar. Then there are your normal booths and tables in each of the two dining rooms. The waitresses are dressed as cowgirls …. Jeans, plaid shirt and bandana. They have country music playing throughout the restaurant.
After I was seated and placed my order I asked if it was alright to take pictures. Not only did they say yes but they led me to the other dining area so I could also get shots of everything. They did a great job putting this all together.
Now for the food. I ordered the12oz rib eye steak that came with one side and choice of soup or salad. I ordered the clam chowder.
The waitress said she would be right back with my bread. She then returned with a breadbasket covered with a napkin. Expecting warm bread, I opened it to find only one small cold dinner roll! It was funny, they could have just put it on my plate. Oh, the soda by the way, is served in mason jars.
Next came the clam chowder. It was a big bowl of soup and I enjoyed it, chock full with pieces of clam. The steak came out and was cooked just as I had ordered, but it seemed to lack any seasonings. It wasn’t bad just nothing special.
The Angus Steakhouse & Seafood is definitely not in the same class as top steak houses in the area. It is more aligned with Texas Roadhouse or Logan’s. I would prefer the steak at either of those over Angus, but that is just my opinion.
The service was excellent, they couldn’t have been nicer. The manager came twice to make sure everything was OK.
Because I was there mainly for the steak, I don’t think I would go back when Angelo’s is on a few blocks away. However, if my grandson were a bit older (he is only 6 months) I would definitely go back because I am sure children would get a kick out of this place. It is an interesting place, probably would have been a better experience if my wife were there with me. Just too bad about the steaks.
My total cost for dinner was around $25.
The address is 2011 S Kings Hwy in Myrtle Beach.

Entrance
Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:47 pm 

Thanks for sharing. That is some interesting decor :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:08 pm 

Sorry but the decor of this place would creep me out. Probably will not be eating there. We have good friends who live in a very fancy log home with animal heads hung on the walls and over the fireplace. It really bothers me that those are his trophies. I respect peoples right to hunt but do not like to see the results glamorized as wall decorations. Now I do not have a problem with fish (lol). Sorry did not mean to be controversial.
Judy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:59 am 

A great steak is very hard to find outside of my own grill. Having never been to Angelo's, I can't comment whether he offers the greatest steaks in the universe or not as he so claims. Your description of Angus's steak sounds bland and would assume that since you like a good steak, you ordered it medium rare or medium so I'll trust your opinion. Thanks for the review, Bruce.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:31 am 

Interesting is one way to describe it Deanna, in the picture with the alligator on the wall, in the window all the way to the right, the animal is carrying a dead bird or something in his mouth.
phroggy, yes, that would be medium. Angelo's is not the best steakhouse in the universe, but they make a very good steak and is worth the trip.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:43 am 
Site Admin

Bruce, thanks so much for sharing your review with us. Obviously the owners like to hunt and fish. The interior is certainly eclectic, but aside from the collection of various pieces of "art" and trophy displays, it looks dark due to the dark wood and wallpaper (or is it paint?) Was it light enough to read the menu? The last time we ate in a dark restaurant we had to pull out our iPhones and use the flashlight app to read the menu...no doubt due to old age...but I still prefer lighter decor and good lighting.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:38 pm 

beachlady wrote:
Sorry but the decor of this place would creep me out.

I'm guessing you aren't a fan of Chuck's Steakhouse, either. http://www.chuckssteakhousemb.com/

Must be a steakhouse thing.

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:38 pm 

Oh no Scott, Chuck's was on my list of places to try. Does it have mooseheads, etc on the walls?. I know I am weird! I do definitely enjoy a good steak.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:55 am 

Beach lady, that would creep me out too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:09 pm 

Thanks for posting. We will have to see how it does. All the animals reminded me of a place that closed many years ago. I believe it was called The Texan. I was on N. Kings Hwy new the K&W Cafeteria. My kids enjoyed the stuffed animals during dinner.

All but once on Shore Drive

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:18 pm 

I am not a fan of creatures on the wall while I eat especially! We see enough taxidermy when we hit up Cabela's near Wheeling, WV.