Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:50 pm 

We just returned from Myrtle Beach and I had to praise our favorite restaurant thus far, Margaritas. Not only was the food delicious, but you get lots of it for the $$$$. We went there twice while we were there and loved every bite. I ordered fajitas texanas and enchiladas verde. The chicken in the enchiladas was fresh, not prepackaged chicken strips. My fiancee got the fajitas texanas as well and also the steak ranchero. DELICIOUS!!!!!!! And the salsa and chips, to die for. I wish they'd move to Lancaster Pa. We don't have a Mexican restaurant of that caliber. Everyone who worked there was very nice as well. Hey, and don't forget the margaritas.

Post subject: Margaritas
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:38 pm 

My very first experience at Margaritas in July, 2005

MARGARITA (Mexican) located on N. Kings Hwy, Restaurant Row, across the street from Cagneys. It's not much to look at from the outside, (resembles a stainless steel diner) however, don't been fooled. The food is fabulous and very reasonable. This turned out to be one of our most exciting, yet least expensive meals and had us craving more all week long! Daily happy hour is 4-7pm - Margaritas are $2.99 and awesome - not overly sweet and quite potent. Nacho chips and FRESH Salsa are served at the table: the salsa is not for the meek or mild! I like spicy food and this had me dipping and hitting the water glass. It was obvious that it was homemade (fresh cilantro). The menu is quite varied with many authentic dishes and allows you to either order combo plates w/ rice and refried beans, or go ala carte to insure you get your favorites. My favorite dish is Chili Relanoes (stuffed pablono peppers) and I have to say, the ones at Margarita were the best I've ever had. Not only were they stuffed w/ cheese, but also finely ground beef that was extremely tender with subtle Mexican spices. I also had to indulge my other favorite - a cheese enchilada, covered by a wonderfully aromatic and authentic brown sauce. Both were excellent choices. My husband had a combo Chili Relano, Beef Enchilada, rice and refried beans and he totally enjoyed his food. Our meal consisted of: 3 Margaritas (no, I did not drink them all myself, one was plenty for me!), all the chips and salsa we could eat, both of our meals, all for an incredible: $24.95.

Next visit: My husband was there in Feburary of 2006 and his dining experience was not very good...the salsa was bland and so was the food. Even the Margaritas were not up to par. Chalk it up to being off season? Perhaps...

Third Visit: May 2006: I HAD to order the chili relano again and mine was superb...husband said he hit an area of his that was stone cold, as if previously frozen. Salsa was better but still not quite as spicy as our first visit - the hot sauce available tableside helped spice it up. Margaritas were WONDERFUL! Still a very affordable and reasonable meal. Staff was delightful.

Will we go again...yeah most likely! It seems to have been "hit and miss" but I honestly believe it's seasonal. Not enough to stear us away. It's obvious that the food is very authentic and reasonably priced. The big plus: it's located close enough to our condo so we could stagger back to our condo if we indulged in too many Margaritas during happy hour. :drinkin: Who can beat that???
Colleen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:36 pm 

We dined here after noticing Cagney's was closed, we chose it for the simple fact that we didn't want to drive any more, and picked it from Cagney's parking lot.

I couldn't have been more surprised. Despite the 1st impression from the outside, and the 2nd impression from the inside I really enjoyed my meal.

The atmosphere is that of a diner, with Mexican paraphernalia scattered around. My 3rd impression was that of many locals dining which eased my mind, and allowed for me to take this place in with an open mind.

The server was very polite, and was there to serve us quickly. He came by only when needed, but exactly when needed. The service was non obtrusive. This is the most authentic Mexican I have had (any experts out there to compare??) The food was served at all the right temperatures, and there is plenty of food to go around. It was flavorful, and satisfying.

I certainly would return to this establishment.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:55 pm 

Has anyone recently ate at Margaritas? If so, I would like to have an update on the restaurant. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:21 am 

so would I. I've never been to Margarita restaurant anyplace but My dil just went to one in another state and couldn't brag it up enough. She said the chefs have to go to a special school to learn authentic mexican cooking. Is this the same chain? Does anyone know the url. I went to the margarita restaurant url I found online but they did not list Myrtle beach as one of the places they have a restaurant.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:06 pm 

We checked out Margaritas based on the board's recommendations. It's back to Fiesta Mexicana for us. The food was comparable to Mexicana but the service was atrocious and the decor is a throwback to a very load, cheap diner. Really, really bad service. We asked if out waiter was new and they said he wasn't. We never saw him again after he took our order. Someone else brought the food and we had to request our check from the hostess. Pretty sad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:09 am 

beachxcape ....thanks.. looks like we'll stay with Fiesta Mexicana also.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:34 am 

blgpts wrote:
beachxcape ....thanks.. looks like we'll stay with Fiesta Mexicana also.

You may want to rethink that. A really poor score on their health code violations a 79!!!!

http://www.myrtlebeachrestaurantnews.co ... sta-79.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:12 am 

Sun n' Fun Oh my! How did I miss that one ??!!... and I usually stay up on the restaurant inspections.. (they should be posted on the board). Thans for the info..I have re-thought it, and it isn't in my future.. thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:44 pm 

We ate here on 9/8/15. We got in a little after 5pm and it wasn't crowded. As soon as we sat down, we had chips and salsa on the table. The chips were good, but the salsa wasn't. We were given a mild salsa and a hotter salsa. The hotter salsa was okay, but the mild tasted and looked exactly like spaghetti sauce. It was really odd!

Our server came over to take our drink and food orders. I ordered the flautas mexicanas, which is 2 chicken, 2 beef taquitos with lettuce, guacamole, sour cream, tomatoes, and mexican rice. My mom ordered the fajita quesadillas, which is steak with onions, bell peppers, cheese, with guacamole, sour cream salad, refried beans and rice on the side. My dad ordered the camarones al mojo del ajo, which is shrimp sautéed with butter and garlic, with rice and beans, and sides of sour cream, guacamole and tomatoes and a side of 3 plain tortillas wrapped in foil. I also ordered a guacamole appetizer when our sever took our drink order, but it never came to the table. Our server realized the mistake when our food came out and offered to have one made and brought out to us, but I declined. The food was just okay. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't the best I've ever had either. My father enjoyed his shrimp and the sauce it came in. My mother thought the fajita meat was seasoned fine. The meat in my flautas was pretty bland, as was the rice that didn't taste like anything. Unfortunately, the service was very slow. Our server was polite, but he didn't come back to check on us after we got our food. He only came back to give us our check and we never saw him again. We sat a the table for about 5 minutes waiting for him to come back to take our credit card. Tired of waiting, we left cash instead and we gave our check to another server so we could leave. The restaurant wasn't very full when we left, so I have no idea what was going on. We've eaten here a couple of times before on vacation and never had a problem with the food or service, so maybe this was just an off night? It'll probably be a very long time before we go back. There are quite a few mexican restaurants in the area that we'd like to try next time.

Front of the restaurant

Chips and Salsa

Fajita Quesadillas (steak with onions, bell peppers, cheese, guacamole, sour cream salad, refried beans & rice)

Camarones al Mojo de Ajo (shrimp sautéed with butter & garlic, rice & beans)

Side that came with Camarones al Mojo de Ajo

Tortillas that came with Camarones al Mojo de Ajo

Flautas Mexicanas (2 chicken 2 beef taquitos, lettuce, guacamole, sour cream, tomatoes, mexican rice.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Lia, thank you for this review. And bless your heart for always adding photos. :cool:

We try our best to delete old reviews and somehow missed this one which was first reviewed in 2006. Restaurants change hands, change managers, sell to someone else, etc. etc. I think this string shows how these changes affect a business.

I have read all your reviews in the past, and feel comfortable enough with them to totally trust your opinion. This restaurant has obviously undergone changes not for the better.

Thanks for the honest review.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall